Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Standard E1 Replacement Community Project Is Cancelled.

This project is over, sorry... Again.

-

Hello, I would like to try and create a simple little basic E1 replacement to test the water, I have already completed my map (E1M1) and would like to know if anyone else would like to contribute.

To be more precise I'd like to have the full 9 maps done (8 left), some basic rules:

- Only up to 2 maps from one person.

- Everyone is eligible, preferably newer mappers but literally anyone will do.

- It has to be Doom in Doom format, no fancy ZDoom stuff or Boom actions please.

- You can provide a MIDI with your map if you do not want to use the default E1 track.

- I would prefer a more classic and easier style to your maps, it doesn't necessarily have to be extremely polished/detailed to make the cut and I'd prefer not to have a slaughter map.

- No custom textures please.

- E1M3 must have a secret exit.

- E1M9 doesn't have to be anything special, just an extra map really.

- Not troll maps or obviously low effort garbage, whilst I'm not looking for a magnum opus I'd rather not make WOOO 4.

And that about wraps it up, hopefully this actually goes somewhere.

Maplist:

E1M1: Inner Port

E1M2: Angry Saint

E1M3: Riderr3

E1M4: Breezeep

E1M5: CarpetolA

E1M6: NecrumWarrior

E1M7: Walter confetti

E1M8: Spectre01

E1M9: Fonze

Spoiler

My map isn't that good.

Iner.zip

Edited by mrthejoshmon

I'm a tad bit confused about this one.

What's the theme? What's the everything? What?

Is it actually in Doom 1? What's your goal? What do you want from me???? ;~;

Hell yeah joshmon; I may contribute a map if I can nail down a solid idea for a map in the next couple days. Pencil me in for the secret map, if that's okay :)

Also, I assume this is to be limit-removing; that correct?

It is just a generic E1 replacement map request, literally almost nothing else to it.

And yeah, limit removing (Doom in Doom format) is the goal, I just can't explain shit too well.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:23 PM, mrthejoshmon said:

It is just a generic E1 replacement map request, literally almost nothing else to it.

:)

Edited by bonnie

oh my goodness people are taking slots left and right D:

Edited by bonnie

Oh cool i am going to contribute with a map that i was thinking about making

E1M3 PLEASE!!!

Just now, mrthejoshmon said:

Deadline isn't solid, just when we are all done.

Oh good because i started a CP and have 2 other maps in progress besides that

I'm itching to take a slot, but I'm still working on my Plain Ol' Doom 2 map, so I'll be good and pass.

I think this is a great idea though - smaller episode-sized wads are a much easier mouthful for both mappers and players.  If you do a E2 replacement in due course, I'd love to contribute!

You said that you want a classic style, do you want the maps to feel more like an actual episode 1 map, or would other episodes/themes be okay?

If e1m8 is still free I'll take a crack at it. Always wanted to try some UDoom mapping since playing NEIS.

Added you to the list, thats the full set.

@bonnieE1 style would be preferable but any other style other than an E3 or other hell styles would be ok.

Are we being strict with the whole DTWID-style of only using Zombies, Sergeants, Imps, Demons and Spectres with Barons limited to e1m8 or can the full monster roster be used like in some other E1 projects that have Cacos, Lost Souls and whatnot?

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

If you do a E2 replacement in due course, I'd love to contribute!

Me too! Good luck with the project!

10 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Are we being strict with the whole DTWID-style of only using Zombies, Sergeants, Imps, Demons and Spectres with Barons limited to e1m8 or can the full monster roster be used like in some other E1 projects that have Cacos, Lost Souls and whatnot?

You can use em all if you want.

Do you have a special place where we can submit our maps? An email address or anything similar?

P.S. My map is strictly vanilla, I'm not sure if that will be an issue?

17 minutes ago, CarpetolA said:

Do you have a special place where we can submit our maps? An email address or anything similar?

P.S. My map is strictly vanilla, I'm not sure if that will be an issue?

Just post it here or message him your map

Wow, this filled up really fast! Probably a good thing, too. I have signed up for too many projects as it is, haha! I'd gladly offer my services as a tester though when the need arises, though.

I also wouldn't mind getting in on an E2 replacement if the day comes. E2 is my favorite style in Doom 1.

Gotta love Doom 1 maps. Looking forward to this one.

I could probably do a few original MIDI pieces if need be. It's been awhile since I've done purely MIDI stuff.

On 4/4/2017 at 6:22 PM, PRIMEVAL said:

I could probably do a few original MIDI pieces if need be.

;~;

Edited by bonnie

31 minutes ago, bonnie said:

An original midi?? Just for me??? i'm gonna frickin cry man ;~;

Just for you, bae.

And anyone who asks. I'm a slut.

Joshmon, I took a few minutes to play your level; nice job! Here's an FDA. I died one time at what is basically the very end to what I can only describe as a 'random' baron, which I didn't even notice as I backtracked to the RK, in part because I was trying to figure out why the switch and window it's nestled in wouldn't just lower to allow me access to the RK, instead making me run all the way back around the level just to grab it. This feeling of confusion was amplified by the fact that a decent chunk of bulls teleport in by the RK, which basically do nothing but absorb already ineffective (from the switch+small windows) imp fireballs. My first run I killed all of them before leaving, because 'why not?' with the only enemies left in the level being the shotgunner ambush I ran away from, a small room I stealthed past, and the revealed baron. I'd recommend either nixing the baron and lowering the switch+window together with the window to the RK, or restructuring the timing for revealing all of the enemies after that switch, plus maybe adding some friends (the entire stretch to the RK to cover the backtracking) for the baron and possibly still nixing him altogether because let's face it: barons+shotty (or CG) is tedious without some other threatening factor, be it from other enemies, the environment, or simply the layout/design of an area. By the same token, I wasn't much a fan of the other baron in the level, though at least he had some buddies to play with. Still, given that the player must go to that wing of the level for the BK before they can get to the switch to the RK, it makes much more sense to cut that bit of backtracking, especially with not much to kill between the player and RK, then the RK and exit. Looping can be good to add some more time to a level, but it definitely needs something to keep action and interest up.

Moving on to the map proper, I liked the simplistic approach to the aesthetics of this map, while still retaining some interesting things to look at. I wasn't too big a fan of using GRAY5 as detailing to GRAY7, such as in the starting room, but that's just my taste. I liked the look overall of the beginning room; interesting to note the way the exit area is the top portion of this room.

- While overall I feel that the loud start was kinda pointless aside from getting the monsters in that first room roused before the player has access to the shotty, I did like that bit of combat to start things off. Moving on from there, I didn't like finding a baron as early on as I did there, especially given the lack of firepower, which wound up being the case for the whole map as only the CG was given later on. That baron would be far better if he could actually follow the player along if/when skipped. Speaking of, that big door there is fast, which is not usable by monsters.

- This map could possibly use a secret RL with maybe 2 boxes to help speed up killing the barons and give one-or-two nice crowd control moments. Even a non-secret RL, say, at the BK switch, with tons of ammo wouldn't trivialize this map due to its slightly cramped design and nature following this point onwards, though of course 'tons of ammo' wouldn't make any sense, but even in its extreme it wouldn't hurt things is just my point. The only thing that could possibly be hurt from a RL, from the way I see it at least, would be the imp ambush after the BK, (if they had avenues for flanking) but in its present form with the killing taking place at that narrow threshold, it would actually help it, heh.

- The window in the grey hallway looking at the RK from the south has a small texture misalignment on its rightmost, bottom sidedef.

- I liked the combat in this grey hallway, though it would have been better with actual pressure from the back, which one baron, distracted by an imp for a sec, doesn't quite fit. Or if the CG or something else nice-looking were there to beckon the player inwards long enough for the door to close behind them. Speaking of CG, that spectre there by it and the BK was an easy target for players on the other side of the grate.

- The dark, techwall area was kinda cool in that old-school-y way; I liked the collection of monsters approaching the BK. The spectres in the cubbies were kinda 'meh' to me, but the others were all good. The trap after the BK with the imps would have been better if the imps had more ways to attack and pressure the player than that one threshold; perhaps another couple spots should be opened up to allow them to flank the player.

- I liked the collection of enemies going towards the other wing of this level. That first, small room with the teleporter I stealthed past thinking that there was something more to it and that firing might not be the best option yet, but seeing where it took me that was pointless, heh. I liked the imps and spectre in this next area, as well as the shotgunner ambush after the BK switch, which almost ended me, hehe. Not much health in this map, though >.<

- The switch leading to the RK I touched on before, but I liked the enemies that actually attacked the player there, just the others that came in by the RK that were the problem, which would have been totally cool if the switch and window had just lowered to allow them in.

- The layout of this level was interesting, which is always a plus for exploration. It's cool when a level wraps around and shows you other parts of the level from a new/different perspective, whether it's a new area or an already-visited one.

All-in-all it was a nice, fun little map to explore and play through; good job!

I don't really have anything to show on my map yet.