Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AIRmichael

Halo 2 glow effect in doom 3!?

Yes, get the 65 minute carmakc speech he spends a lot of time talking about it

This is from the bathroom scene in the ATI9700 video. I'm sure there's some places in the leaked gameplay vid that show the effect too, though it's hard to tell because of the blurriness.

AIRmichael said:

Will this effect be in doom 3 or not? We haven't seen it yet though...

Heh, I hope so. But it's not like this effect has been seen before. Well it probably hasn't but yeah.

Xian said:

Yes, get the 65 minute carmakc speech he spends a lot of time talking about it

You put the who with the what now?

Don't ask- it's illegal and if anyone posts a link to it, they're banned.

Talking about what is shows is fine, but posting screenshots of it or d/l links aren't. Wierd, but that's iD software's wishes.

I think it's more of this forum's rule that we don't talk about it. Hey, maybe we can talk about the video a lot as a test to see if id actually ever comes here. :)

hmm... anyone wanna get technical with this glow effect stuff. Anyone know about how this stuff works? Is the glow effect present in the first level in quake near the easy difficulty slipgate? When you look directly into the light your view becomes all washed out with white in the center of the screen. This looks really cool but unfortunatly you can tell its doing some angle of incidence calc based on a point light because you have to be looking pretty dead on to get the glow/wash effect to pop up. At least this was my hasty interpretation of what was probably going on.

It looks damn cool and realistic IMO. A lot of details in real life are lost due to washout or really bright objects next to shadowed spaces which you then can't see. This glow can be used to simulate light interacting with an atmosphere of different refraction coefficients by varying the size the glow. Like dry air vs. humid air. And air vs. underwater. Or water vs. slime... etc.

Lord FlatHead said:

WOW I QUOTED AN IMAGE!

This is from the bathroom scene in the ATI9700 video. I'm sure there's some places in the leaked gameplay vid that show the effect too, though it's hard to tell because of the blurriness.

Yeah, its very blurry, but its the effect ( allthough not that much;) )

It has something to do with taking a bright pixel and making all the pixels around it brighter. When you repeat this enough times you get a cool glow effect as seen in the bathroom scene.

Hello, all.

From what I gathered from Carmacks latest QuakeCon tech deluge, Doom3 will NOT actually be using the more generalized, robust algorithm of bluring the whole frame image. Doom3 will be using the more traditional polygon-with-flare-texture-over-the-light method that has been used thus far. However, as you can see from the image, Carmack has done a wonderful job of tracking volumes of visibility, and "warping" the flare polygon to fit that volume. It's true that most flare effects up to this point have crappy sort of view-oriented flat poster effect. By going through and morphing the polygon to actually fit the way the flare should look, a whole new level of realism and generalization is achieved without having to resort to a floating-point format frame buffer (which would kickout just about all the cards so far that Doom3 is supposed to work on). This polygon warping also makes much more sense in the general scheme of how the Doom3 engine is structured (I'm speculating). The idea of keeping the geometry rather trim and focused allows for a huge amound of per-vertex and per-polygon calulation: the stencil shadows, the per-poly collision detection, the gui surfaces, the tangent space transforms for the articulated meshes, and also, it seems, dynamic warping of flare polygons for increased realism. Also, if Doom3 is using the portal method of visibility determination, then the flare-occlusion alforithm can just ride on that functionality.

What do you think?

I think that was a damn good post. I also think I should get out more because I understood all of it. :P

The halo2 glares are in tenebrae and run on evrything form geforce1 and up, they are a bit overlooked since they are off by default. Use "sh_glares 1" to see it in action (or see some of the screens...)
It works as follows
-Read the scene pixels
-Everypix greater than a treshold keep otherwice make it black
-Scale colored pixels up a bit
-Blur
-Blur some more
-Render a screen sized quad with this texture

Easy enough but slow as hell...

Charles

What sort of algorithm do you use to do the bluring? (If it's okay to ask). Also, I've heard that some people use the technique of simply rendering the scene to a low-res texture, and using the hardwares natural filtering to create the effect when that texture is applied to a screen sized quad as an overlay. Such a method would have greatly reduced a lot of bandwidth consumption, as well as CPU processing. Have you found this method inappropriate or too crappy looking?

Your engine looks absolutely breath-taking, and I wish this slow computer of mine would have a chance of run it at all. Apropos that, how critical are those CPU speed requirements-- are you using SSE instructions or something, or will it just run slower? I've always liked slideshows, anyway... (I have a PII300, if that helps, with 96MB of RAM).

Wow, I get a stunning 5-10 fps in Tenebrae with this, 4xFSAA and everything else enabled and at max, in 640x480x32 resolution. And this is on a GeForce 2!

Heh. With everything enabled that I can find, I still get 25+ fps unless theres more than 5 lights on screen.

DaJuice said:

Sure, why not.

Because a large bunch of the threads in this forum have little or nothing to do with Tenebrae - it's only recently that people have gone all "WHOA" about Tenebrae.

AirRaid said:

Yes, but dsm loves to argue :P

Damn straight, and I have this weird tendency to find counter arguments to jokes despite the fact that they ARE jokes.

I have had a real great dream last night , It was a game, and I saw aliens with their body metal like. Saw the halo 2 effect thing on their stomach and heads, was really amazing.

I hope it was a dream btw:p