Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wereknight

CWolf's FreeDoom workshop (textures, sprites, something else)

On 3/19/2017 at 3:26 AM, Voros said:

The maintainers are against replacing the IoS sprites because its meant to be an injoke (unfortunately).

That is so stupid.

Chiming in to agree that the player sprites are one of the most "iconic" aspects of Freedoom, as well as one of the best sprites. Would hate to see it go and seems like a wasted effort when there are so many other things that could be focused on

On 4/12/2017 at 0:51 PM, Ralphis said:

the player sprites are one of the most "iconic" aspects of Freedoom, as well as one of the best sprites.

Iconic, yes. But it has a very awkward animation.

I 100% agree that it should not be replaced by a new concept... but it could do with some tweaks / "remastering".

Even it being bigger is not a problem, I do like those shoulder pads. It's just the animation, specially in the front view.. it's like his tights are bound or holding his pee.

The rotations are inconsistent too, if you rotate around him it feels like he's moving all the time.

Found those ones on my desktop today. I totally forgot to post them in May. Now I do it.

Those wall patches are "wolf3d" alternatives. Whole set wasn't even done.

cGdNiDE.pngj3iN4IX.png

If anything, the colors look a bit washed out and flat. How about using some darker colours and some basic shading to compensate?

17 hours ago, Voros said:

If anything, the colors look a bit washed out and flat. How about using some darker colours and some basic shading to compensate?

I agree with this, though the painting looks alright with his style, it's supposed to be flat.

Got this one done

7Ji4G7D.png

Some more WOLF replacers:

KszAPPu.pngYIhCmZp.png8k69vDW.png

EDIT: another one set done. 

YIhCmZp.png8k69vDW.pngAHwDxey.png

Edited by CWolf

Those are all very nice! I think the redbrick wall texture could use some details like dirt, scratches, unevenly laid bricks, chipped off edges and/or other irregularities to make it look more natural. Unless of course you're aiming for that clean look in the first place.

On 10/23/2017 at 6:53 PM, CWolf said:

We're moving forward.

Some of SHAWN and SILVER textures.

wlka6dI.png

These look really good. Could you submit a PR for these?

On 14.12.2017 at 2:18 AM, Doctor Nick said:

These look really good. Could you submit a PR for these?

Sorry, I can't do that due to tech issues with my PC.

Last thing I did before those issues come to my machine were those ones. 

pw3kVDx.png

I really like those. I've said before, radically changing the style and appearance of the textures (without going too far, still has to fit for the purpose) would help to give Freedoom a more unique look. Many textures are "different enough" clones of the id set without taking any chances on a truly alternate design.

The new textures are pretty cool, can someone please throw together a quick test WAD to show what they look like in-game?

done :D

image.png

not really much changes, i just made it look more zombish

if you guys wonder whats that yellow-looking string, well its supposed to be bullets 

and i've made the final 2 death frames way cooler because the helmet breaks 

and the splatter sprites like the 2 other zombies

EDIT:

i made some touches to the splatter sprites 

image.png

Edited by D4RKP1G

Nice work @D4RKP1G (maybe you should have made a new thread since this is for CWolf's submissions).

Note that the front and back walking animation for the player was improved in latest Freedoom development versions:

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/546

I wonder if it would be better to use the new walking also for the chaingunner, since it's a re-skinned player. Or if it should be left with the old animation to make it different. Your call.

8 hours ago, Ferk said:

since this is for CWolf's submissions

Not anymore since I don't work at its resources. Kinda busy, irl. Plus, I have something in mind with better outcome in terms of artistic freedom.

Just now, CWolf said:

Not anymore since 

I know you won't be making more submissions, but that's a separate topic.

If what you mean is that this thread has some other purpose than posting your submissions then the title and first post should be changed, I guess.

17 hours ago, Ferk said:

Nice work @D4RKP1G (maybe you should have made a new thread since this is for CWolf's submissions).

Note that the front and back walking animation for the player was improved in latest Freedoom development versions:

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/546

I wonder if it would be better to use the new walking also for the chaingunner, since it's a re-skinned player. Or if it should be left with the old animation to make it different. Your call.

i already knew it, but the legs on the edit look really skinny, and this minigunner needs to be different, that's why i made his helmet break and have a way different splatter sprite the 

and i know i shouldn't post this here, it's just that i don't know how to make new threads :/

I like the edits made to the chaingunner, but, why make it soo color plain? Seems like a puddle of gray.
Don't know if you like this, guys, but, since the chainguner and the saviour of humanity uses the same sprite recolored, i change the chaingunner sprite with the player's sprite and made a total translation of it (here, two variants, but i usually use the one with the gray shoulders).
Hope you like it, guys. Al so, i keep the color of the original Doom 2's chaingunners to make it easy to recognize.

Tried to give em a blacker color, like the others zombies have, but this is the darker i can go with translation without ruining the sprite definition.

Screenshot_Doom_20190519_011113.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190519_012101.png

The chaingunner looks like Samus Aran in the second shot.

Also it's kinda hard to judge sprite quality when you have xBRZ scaling on IMO.