Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

The DWmegawad Club is boring

Memfis, pretty much in every thread. "You want to be different!"

4 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Hi! As club curator I feel I ought to weigh in with my opinion on the matter.

good post, dobu! if memfis would like to see more conversation taking place instead of people just posting their opinions on some map, that's a valid point. i'll try to react more to people's opinions. unfortunately i've been very busy lately, so i didn't even try to catch up with NEIS, and was thankful for the videos joe posted, so i got a glimpse of the maps on my phone. however, i also value the archive of player's opinions a lot, and it shouldn't surprise anyone if highlights are mentioned repeatedly. rules on how one should post would make contributing feel like doing homework, and hurt the club, which has been going strong for almost 5 years. writing elaborate text (demon, steve), adding images (demtor), recording demos / videos (rdwpa, joe, peter), all this takes time, sometimes even more than playing a map. so i'd say that it should be encouraged to reply to other people's posts, but not made mandatory in any way.

Edited by Pirx

2 hours ago, Decay said:

btw, i feel that the new forum functions like alerts, likes, following will facilitate exchange of opinions.

Reveal hidden contents

oh well, when i learn to post properly in it...   :p

The OP statement is like a "books suck" tag on the local library.

If I ever recover from being stampeded by DWMC, I should be a better mapper for it.

I agree that it would be good to see more back and forth conversation in the DWMC.  Next time I've got enough free time to participate (hopefully next month), I'll see what I can do to help that happen.

22 hours ago, Benjogami said:

It might be better to have a philosopher king pick the wads.

Mmmmmm I'm kinda hesitant to implement this mainly because the democratic process has currently worked out fine. I have no idea who I'd appoint as the "king" and beyond that, we're probably going to end up playing whatever s/he prefers, which is a bit unfair to the other members—especially since if anything, I want to reward the regulars that participate frequently. I could probably devise a weighted system wherein a poster that pines for a single suggestion month after month gets that wad more heavily considered over time, but again, I don't quite see the problem with our current nomination process.

Regarding smaller episodes, I've stated this in various club threads but figure it's also good to make it public here: 3 episodes per month (that contain at least 4 maps) is my hard limit. I'm not against a month of single wad releases—if enough people want that it's cool with me—but I would probably abstain from creating that thread because shoving 3 episodes into a single OP is enough work for me. I'm perfectly fine if more people start voting for more episode-oriented months.

When I saw this thread in my notifications I thought "Man this has to be a Memfis thread. The only thing he does is complain."

Memfis posts have become predictable and boring, just like Back to Saturn X.

You know what else has become predictable and boring? The jokes about BTSX, especially after that fake E3 release. It was funny and all, sure, but I think it's time to stop with the 'l o l btsx" comments :I (I do agree that Memfis-posting has lost its charm, though)

43 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

You know what else has become predictable and boring? The jokes about BTSX

Who said anyone is joking?

7 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Mmmmmm I'm kinda hesitant to implement this mainly because the democratic process has currently worked out fine. I have no idea who I'd appoint as the "king" and beyond that, we're probably going to end up playing whatever s/he prefers, which is a bit unfair to the other members

I don't think picking a single "king" is workable, but I could see some kind of process where people can put their name down to choose the WAD in an upcoming month.  You'd need some kind of vetting process in place to stop joke nominations; I'd suggest at least that "frequent contributor to DWMC threads" be a condition of being chosen to nominate; plus some kind of sanity check by yourself.

Just finally pick the BroDude Boob Stormer Campay and you'll have all the fun, all the time, forever.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:40 PM, Benjogami said:

I haven't participated much in the club because I find that I don't have much interesting to say a lot of the time, and it's awkward to feel like I need to say something at those times. When I read the threads, I do see posts that don't have much to say, but they're saying it anyhow. That's fine. It's all fine. I like the club, even just the idea of it, because it encourages people to play Doom and think about it. It's fun to play stuff together, just like it's fun to watch movies together, even if you don't have a lot to say about the movie when it's over. Even if I don't post in the thread, it's fun to play along and then see what other people thought, even if it's simple stuff like "this area looked cool" or "1/5 garbage-tier."

The democratic wad selection process definitely is bland sometimes. It might be better to have a philosopher king pick the wads. Maybe on even months we vote and on odd months we get some expert curation? I think that would be interesting. It would also make it easier to get smaller wads discussed. Yeah yeah it's called the DWmegawad club, but I think that's too restrictive. The Vanguard/Hellground/somethingelse month was neat.

It also would also be fun to have a different kind of monthly analysis thread, so if someone wants to run it, that would be great. ;)

13 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Mmmmmm I'm kinda hesitant to implement this mainly because the democratic process has currently worked out fine. I have no idea who I'd appoint as the "king" and beyond that, we're probably going to end up playing whatever s/he prefers, which is a bit unfair to the other members—especially since if anything, I want to reward the regulars that participate frequently. I could probably devise a weighted system wherein a poster that pines for a single suggestion month after month gets that wad more heavily considered over time, but again, I don't quite see the problem with our current nomination process.

Regarding smaller episodes, I've stated this in various club threads but figure it's also good to make it public here: 3 episodes per month (that contain at least 4 maps) is my hard limit. I'm not against a month of single wad releases—if enough people want that it's cool with me—but I would probably abstain from creating that thread because shoving 3 episodes into a single OP is enough work for me. I'm perfectly fine if more people start voting for more episode-oriented months.

I think the selection process is fine. Wads that are selected generally one of a number of categories: a) ultra-logical choices that it doesn't make sense not to pick (BTSX, Ancient Aliens); b) mapsets that have been championed by a small number of people in previous votes that finally accrue momentum and get selected (Hellbound, NEIS); c) overdue classics (HR, AV); d) hot and sexy betas dobu is a part of ;) (NOVA II, TNT: Revilution); e) mapsets someone makes a strong case for (Vanguard et al., Estranged); f) wtf? (TNT: Evilution).

Categories b and e are very much like the philosopher king process, with some checks and balances. Mapsets in categories a and d are usually enough of a must-play that a grand poobah of wadpickery who ignores them will probably not be so popular. Category c is largely hit or miss for me, but in many cases it would be weird if the club never got around to wads like these. So, yeah, I think overall there's already a good mix of both more obvious picks that should be played and the less obvious stuff that a well informed expert would select. 

I agree wholeheartedly that we need to play more episode-length mapsets, however. These are very fun. With cohesive megawads, you are stuck with one month of a certain thing, so if you don't really like that thing, that whole month won't offer much to look forward to. But episode months offer a lot of variety. For next month's vote, I'm going to champion Legacy of Heroes (gaspe, 10 maps, as the 11th is a cinematic outro), Back to Basics (espi, 9 maps), and something else that makes sense.

7 hours ago, rdwpa said:

For next month's vote, I'm going to champion Legacy of Heroes (gaspe, 10 maps, as the 11th is a cinematic outro), Back to Basics (espi, 9 maps), and something else that makes sense.

+++ Classic Episode

Another added benefit of having the DWMC is being able to go back and read past month's material while you are playing that specific WAD. It's not only a good "to play" list to go by (A LOT of those WADs I have never even heard of before) it's also like having a critique companion guide that points out things you might have missed along the way or helps you think about what you just played a little differently. 

I like the club in it's current form and think it's fun to read different people's opinions and not necessarily concern myself with debating or interacting with them if it isn't necessary. In fact, it's impossible on those older threads!

Edited by Demtor