Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KVELLER

Spanish translation for GZDOOM/Traducción al español para GZDOOM

6 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I guess ID decided to put the "chaingun" as the name for the weapon because it sounds simple enough or just for saying why not? I don't know...

Well, there are other names that seem to be there just for saying why not. Like the BFG.

I wanted to say that I won't translate Strife or anything else, at least for a while. I'll keep taking suggestions for Doom, Heretic and Hexen though.

I'm just not in the mood to sit down and start translating from scratch again. Maybe in the future motivation (or extreme boredom) will hit me and I'll start translating once again.

49 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I wanted to say that I won't translate Strife or anything else, at least for a while. I'll keep taking suggestions for Doom, Heretic and Hexen though.

I'm just not in the mood to sit down and start translating from scratch again. Maybe in the future motivation (or extreme boredom) will hit me and I'll start translating once again.

If you can somehow "extract" the whole dialogue, I can take care of that. I'm used to working with big chunks of text, but someone else will have to "insert it back" into the game or something, whatever you call it.

Either that, or you wait for me until I buy Strife again. And learn how to mess with GZDoom for that matter.

56 minutes ago, Zed said:

If you can somehow "extract" the whole dialogue, I can take care of that. I'm used to working with big chunks of text, but someone else will have to "insert it back" into the game or something, whatever you call it.

Either that, or you wait for me until I buy Strife again. And learn how to mess with GZDoom for that matter.

The Strife dialogues are in scripts inside the STRIFE.WAD file. If you know how to use SLADE or a similar program, I could send you a WAD or pk3 file with the scripts. Then I could "reinsert them back" into the game.

I have Strife...well, it appears that the dialog part is in the log files inside the wad (94 files), at least if you look in Slade...

2 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

I have Strife...well, it appears that the dialog part is in the log files inside the wad (94 files), at least if you look in Slade...

Most of those are the in-game messages from BlackBird. The dialogues are in script files.

I was thinking about the translation for "flechette" and I think the better translation for it is "frasco", because the flechette in Hexen is a flask. And the correct translation for flechette is "dardo", which doesn't make any sense at all. Flechette is a French word.

I believe the term "flechette" must be a holdover from a previous version of the game where the flechette (which is a weapon-type artifact after all) was actually a dart. Then they changed it to a flask but didn't change the name and it stopped making sense.

Either that or someone at Raven thought there was a common etymology between "flechette" and "flask", like it was a "flaskette" or something like that. Dumber things have happened. Anyway, "flechette" is French for "little arrow" and the English word for that is "dart". (Whereas the French word "dard" means "stinger".) English word "flechette" is a metal dart shaped like an arrow. In no case does it remotely look like the Hexen item; so go ahead and use this opportunity to give it a more fitting name.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

I believe the term "flechette" must be a holdover from a previous version of the game where the flechette (which is a weapon-type artifact after all) was actually a dart. Then they changed it to a flask but didn't change the name and it stopped making sense.

Either that or someone at Raven thought there was a common etymology between "flechette" and "flask", like it was a "flaskette" or something like that. Dumber things have happened. Anyway, "flechette" is French for "little arrow" and the English word for that is "dart". (Whereas the French word "dard" means "stinger".) English word "flechette" is a metal dart shaped like an arrow. In no case does it remotely look like the Hexen item; so go ahead and use this opportunity to give it a more fitting name.

Yeah, for example "Timebomb flechette" lit. translate as " Dardo de bomba de tiempo".... lolwat?. However, changing flechette for "frasco" sounds MUCH better and gives much more sense for recognizing the item...

21 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Yeah, for example "Timebomb flechette" lit. translate as " Dardo de bomba de tiempo".... lolwat?. However, changing flechette for "frasco" sounds MUCH better and gives much more sense for recognizing the item...

Maybe we could think of a more "interesting" word than just "frasco", but it's good to have it as an option

37 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

Maybe we could think of a more "interesting" word than just "frasco", but it's good to have it as an option

Since the item is used as a trap...maybe using some similar word for trap or a two-word proper translation. Flechette is wrong in all senses.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:07 PM, Gez said:

"Dart" is "dardo" in Spanish. But being Spanish a Romance language, like French, the actual translation is very similar: "flechita". That's diminutive for "flecha" (arrow), very similar to French fléchette/flèche. But I think "flechita" sounds, like, weak or childish, if you know what I mean. Besides, as already mentioned, it does not look as a "flechette". Now, "frasco" is "flask", but the Quartz Flask is named "matraz" (which is also a valid translation), so I don't know. "Matraz" sounds better, I think, so maybe it should stay that way?

So, flechette-frasco, quartz flask-matraz de cuarzo.

Does that sound good?

P.S.: I don't speak French, so I may have that part wrong. It's what I found after a quick search.

6 hours ago, Zed said:

"Dart" is "dardo" in Spanish. But being Spanish a Romance language, like French, the actual translation is very similar: "flechita". That's diminutive for "flecha" (arrow), very similar to French fléchette/flèche. But I think "flechita" sounds, like, weak or childish, if you know what I mean. Besides, as already mentioned, it does not look as a "flechette". Now, "frasco" is "flask", but the Quartz Flask is named "matraz" (which is also a valid translation), so I don't know. "Matraz" sounds better, I think, so maybe it should stay that way?

So, flechette-frasco, quartz flask-matraz de cuarzo.

Does that sound good?

P.S.: I don't speak French, so I may have that part wrong. It's what I found after a quick search.

The correct translation for flask is "matraz" and you know that "matraz" is used as a item for science stuff. But for a normal person or speaking in a neutral way, "matraz" is known as "frasco", and almost everybody recognize it as "frasco" instead of "matraz" :D

If I may suggest another word: Petaca ("hip flask" in English) seems to fit well the type of flask that the quartz flask is. Although apparently in Mexican Spanish it's also a bag?

4 minutes ago, Gez said:

If I may suggest another word: Petaca ("hip flask" in English) seems to fit well the type of flask that the quartz flask is. Although apparently in Mexican Spanish it's also a bag?

Well, petaca has MANY meanings. The most common meaning for petaca is a small bottle with alcohol inside :). I've never heard a bag for petaca.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Well, petaca has MANY meanings. The most common meaning for petaca is a small bottle with alcohol inside :). I've never heard a bag for petaca.

In Mexican Spanish, the most common meaning for "petaca" is actually a bag (more especifically, a "suitcase", as wordreference says). Petacas (in plural) is also slang for "butt" in central Mexico. I'm really not convinced. Maybe it makes more sense in South America. I have personally never heard anyone say "petaca" in reference to a small flask or bottle.

As a chilean, I know "petaca" as a small bottle or recipient which you can keep alcohol. A thing to consider, a simple spanish word can have many meanings depending of the country...That can be even problematic if you don't know the meaning of a word.

That being the case, I think "petaca" as a "small bottle for alcohol" seems to be a regionalism. "Frasco" and "matraz" are (I think) almost universally understood in all Spanish-speaking countries as a "flask". Which one to actually use for "flask" or "flechette" seems to be pretty subjective. I understand "frasco" as more generic, while "matraz" is not just any "flask", it's a flask for conducting experiments in chemistry laboratories, as you said.

What do you think?

4 minutes ago, Zed said:

That being the case, I think "petaca" as a "small bottle for alcohol" seems to be a regionalism. "Frasco" and "matraz" are (I think) almost universally understood in all Spanish-speaking countries as a "flask". Which one to actually use for "flask" or "flechette" seems to be pretty subjective. I understand "frasco" as more generic, while "matraz" is not just any "flask", it's a flask for conducting experiments in chemistry laboratories, as you said.

What do you think?

Yes. At the end, it all depends of the context used. If I were a scientific using the poisonous flechette :D, I'd call it "matraz venenoso". But as a generic person, I'd call it "frasco venenoso" and believe me, NOT all people knows what a "matraz" is unless you explain what it is.

So, Strife.

I'll post it in parts, I don't know what's the character limit for posts.

---------------

Hello? Command, a com unit has just been activated... am receiving visuals and sound from... somebody... hey you, get out of here now... an drop the chalice!

¿Hola? Comando, una unidad de comunicaciones ha sido activada... estoy recibiendo visuales y sonido de... alguien... hey tú, sal de aquí ahora... ¡Y arroja el cáliz!

Not sure about "visuales", "imágenes" would fit better maybe. Or "recibiendo confirmación visual y auditiva de..."?
---------------
Find the power tap on the mains, and shut it off. Bring something back to the governor as proof. Find MacGuffin, and talk to him.

Encuentra la conexión en la toma principal y apágala. Trae algo de vuelta al gobernador como prueba. Encuentra a MacGuffin, y habla con él.
---------------
Now on to the factory. Exit the mines and you can't miss it. Let's find that machine and shut it down!

Ahora hacia la fábrica. Sal de las minas y no puedes fallar. ¡Encontremos esa máquina y apagémosla!

Not sure about "no puedes fallar". In Mexican Spanish the phrase "no hay pierde" is a very common substitute of "[you] can't miss it", but searching in several places, it seems that "no hay pérdida" is what's used in other places. Suggestions?
--------------
Find the sanctuary by the river. Steal the chalice from inside.
Bring it to Harris in the tavern.

Encuentra el santuario cerca del río. Roba el cáliz del interior.
Llévalo a Harris en la taberna.
--------------
Find the governor. Talk to him about your reward.

Encuentra al gobernador. Habla con él acerca de tu recompensa.
--------------
Find the sanctuary by the river. Inside someone called Beldin is being held. Shut him up, and bring his ring back to Rowan as proof.

Encuentra el santuario cerca del río. Están reteniendo a alguien llamado Beldin ahí dentro. Cállalo / siléncialo y lleva su anillo a Rowan como prueba.

Cállalo or siléncialo, what do you say?
--------------
Find the location of the front and talk to Macil.

Localiza el frente y habla con Macil.
--------------
Go down the stairs, find and talk to Macil.

Baja las escaleras, encuentra a Macil y habla con él.
--------------
Visit Irale, the front's weapons supplier in town. He's behind the door next to the weapons shop. Then, use the key Macil gave you to talk to the governor.

Visita a Irale, el proveedor de armas para el frente en el pueblo. Está detrás de la puerta junto a la tienda de armas. Luego, usa la llave que Macil the dio y habla con el gobernador.
--------------
Find the power tap on the mains, and shut it off. Bring something back to the governor as a proof.

Encuentra la conexión en la toma principal y apágala. Trae algo de vuelta al gobernador como prueba.
--------------
Find Derwin in the warehouse of the power station. Kill him, and bring Mourel his ear.

Encuentra a Derwin en la bodega de la estación eléctrica. Mátalo, y lleva su oreja a Mourel.
--------------
Use the pass Mourel gave you to get into the prison. Once inside, talk to Warden Montag. Find a way to free the prisoners.

Usa el pase que Mourel te dio para entrar a la prisión. Una vez dentro, habla con Warden Montag. Encuentra una forma de liberar a los prisioneros.
--------------
Use the warden's key to get into the prison cell blocks and find a way to free the prisoners.

Usa la llave del carcelero para entrar al bloque de celdas en la prision y encuentra una forma de liberar a los prisioneros.
--------------
Destroy the power crystal that runs the power grid which drives the order's shields. Go visit Worner, a spy we recruited in the warehouse of the power station. Don't forget to visit the medic and the weapons trainer before you go.

Destruye el cristal de poder que controla la red eléctrica que maneja los escudos de la orden. Ve a visitar a Worner, un espía que reclutamos en la bodega de la estación eléctrica. No olvides visitar al médico y al entrenador de armas antes de ir.

Not sure about "cristal de poder" and "entrenador de armas".
--------------
Destroy the power crystal that runs the power grid which drives the order's shields. Use the I.D. to get into the power station. You may want to check out the storeroom above Worner.

Destruye el cristal de poder que controla la red eléctrica que maneja los escudos de la orden. Usa la identificación para entrar a la estación eléctrica. Tal vez quieras revisar el almacén encima de Worner.
--------------
Destroy the power crystal that runs the power grid which drives the order's shields. Go talk to Ketrick in the core area.

Destruye el cristal de poder que controla la red eléctrica que maneja los escudos de la orden. Ve a hablar con Ketrick en el área del núcleo.
--------------
Destroy the power crystal. Go talk to Ketrick, bring the walkway up using the switches, then use this ID for the elevator.

Destruye el cristal de poder. Ve a hablar con Ketrick, eleva la pasarela usando los interruptores, luego usa ésta identificación para el elevador / ascensor.

Elevador or ascensor?
--------------
Find the town entrance that the order has guarded. Open the door and bring the guard's uniform back to Weran.

Encuentra la entrada al pueblo que la orden ha vigilado. Abre la puerta y trae el uniforme del guardia de vuelta a Weran.
--------------
Take the flamethrower parts to Irale. Find the sewer maintenance door. Find and drain the reclamation tank inside the castle. At the bottom is a hidden entrance to the sewers. Down that entrance is where the gate controls are, somewhere.

Lleva las partes del lanzallamas a Irale. Encuentra la puerta de mantenimiento a las cloacas. Encuentra y vacía el tanke de reciclaje dentro del castillo. En la parte inferior hay una entrada oculta a las cloacas. Debajo de esa entrada es donde están los controles de la reja, en algún sitio.
--------------
Join the assault on the castle. Find and take out the programmer. See the medic and the weapons trainer. Spend everything you got. This is going to be a hell of a fight.

Únete al asalto del castillo. Encuentra y elimina al programador. Ve al médico y al entrenador de armas. Gasta todo lo que tienes. Esta va a ser una batalla infernal.

"Batalla infernal", do you think that's correct guys?
--------------
Use the key the false programmer gave you to open an entrance to the programmer's keep. It has to be where he's hiding. Find the programmer and kill him.

Usa la llave que te dio el programador falso para abrir una entrada a la fortaleza del programador. Ahí debe ser donde se está escondiendo. Encuentra al programador y mátalo.
--------------
Seek out the oracle and ask it about the other Sigil pieces. Take your reward and go across to the medic and weapons trainer for health and training.

Busca al oráculo y pregúntale acerca de las otras piezas del Sigil (Sigilo?). Toma tu recompensa y ve con el médico y el entrenador de armas para salud y entrenamiento.

First, should Sigil be translated? Being Strife's BFG, I think it could keep it's name.
Also, that last sentence seems to be redundant, but I don't know how else to put it. Any suggestions?
--------------
I'm reading massive neural wave distortions from straight ahead. I think we've found it. Let's get in there and shut it down!

Estoy recibiendo lecturas de distorsiones masivas de ondas neurales directamente enfrente. Creo que lo hemos encontrado. ¡Entremos ahí y apaguémoslo!
--------------
The second piece lies at the heart of the crimson and obsidian tower. There you must find the bishop, who awaits you. Take the oracle's token to the key master in the borderlands. Once you have destroyed the bishop, return to the oracle.

La segunda pieza yace en el corazón de la torre carmesí y de obsidiana. Ahí debes encontrar al obispo, quien te espera. Toma la pieza / símbolo del oráculo al maestro de llaves en las tierras fronterizas. Una vez que hayas destruido al obispo, regresa al oráculo.

Not sure about "pieza" or "símbolo" (or something else) for "token".
Also, not sure about "tierras fronterizas" for "borderlands". Maybe "frontera" could work here?
-------------
Find the crimson and obsidian tower. Use the ID key the key master gave you to enter the tower. Once inside you must locate the bishop. Once you have destroyed the bishop, return to the oracle.

Encuentra la torre carmesí y de obsidiana. Usa la llave de identificación que el maestro de llaves te dio para entrar en la torre. Una vez dentro debes localizar al obispo. Una vez que hayas destruido al obispo, regresa al oráculo.
-------------
Find the security complex, fight through there and use the teleporter to central administration. Destroy the computer core in central administration. This will kill the foce field on the bishop's tower. Once the bishop's dead, return to the oracle.

Encuentra el complejo de seguridad, lucha a través del complejo y usa el teletransportador hacia administración central. Destruye el núcleo de la computadora en administración central. Esto desactivará el campo de fuerza en la torre del obispo. Una vez que el obispo esté muerto, regresa al oráculo.
-------------
Your next challenge will test your spirit. The third piece is held by your own leader. He is the same as that which he sends you to kill. Confront him and resolve your fate.

Tu siguiente desafío pondrá a prueba tu espíritu. La tercer pieza es guardada por tu propio líder. Él es el mismo que aquél al que te manda matar. Confróntalo y resuelve tu destino.
-------------
It is the oracle who holds the third piece. There's your traitor. Return to the oracle, and take him down. Return to me when it's dead.

Es el oráculo quien guarda la tercer pieza. Ahí está tu traidor. Regresa al oráculo, y acábalo. Regresa a mi cuando esté muerto.
-------------
You have cut the cancer from your body, but your heart still beats. Next you must find the surgeon who butchers and controls your people... The LoreMaster. Stop him, and the next piece will be yours.

Has cortado el cáncer de tu cuerpo, pero tu corazón aún late. Ahora debes encontrar al cirujano que mutila y controla a tu gente... el LoreMaster. Deténlo, y la siguiente pieza será tuya.

LoreMaster - Maestro de la sabiduría / conocimiento. Yes or no?
-------------
Next you must find the surgeon who butchers and controls your people... The LoreMaster. Stop him, and the next piece will be yours. Use the teleporter I opened to reach him. When he's dead, use the same device to return to me.

Ahora debes encontrar al cirujano que mutila y controla a tu gente... el LoreMaster. Deténlo, y la siguiente pieza será tuya. Usa el teletransportador que he abierto para llegar a él. Cuando esté muerto, usa el mismo dispositivo para volver a mi.
------------
You have chosen wisely. The third piece is held by your own leader. Destroy that which hides within your heart and return to me.

Has escogido sabiamente. La terce pieza es guardada por tu propio líder. Destruye aquello que se esconde dentro de tu corazón y regresa a mi.
------------
We've found out that the order is transforming our people into bio-mechanical soldiers. Find the facility where this is being done and close it, permanently! Find Richter in the commons, near the waterfall and he'll tell you how to stop this atrocity.

Hemos encontrado que la orden está transformando a nuestra gente en soldados bio-mecánicos. Encuentra las instalaciones donde esto se está llevando a cabo y ciérralas, ¡Permanentemente! Encuentra a Richter en los espacios comunes, cerca de la cascada, y él te dirá como detener esta atrocidad.
------------

There will be more soon...

EDIT: Shit, it seems the spacing didn't come out as expected. Sorry about that.

Use code tags to preserve spacing, but perhaps you can use something like pastebin if you have a lot of text to post.

LoreMaster is like "Maestro del saber" and "saber" is the same as "conocimiento". "Imágenes y sonido" is better than visual. The term "You can't miss it" is a phrase that is complicated to explain due to the context used. It's like the term "no hay donde perderse", meaning that if you follow the directions correctly, you'll find it.

Cállalo/siléncialo...I haven't played Strife in its entirety but I guess that character is killed. Maybe "siléncialo" is the right word. Elevador/ascensor...here in Chile we say ascensor, for example. Weapons trainer should be "Instructor de armas" instead of "entrenador". Power crystal...again, I need to see it in-game. A hell of a fight...another term that must not be translated literally. "Infernal" is hellish, and "hell of a fight" should be "batalla intensa" or "dura batalla".

The power crystal is literally a crystal that is somehow used as a source of power.

11 minutes ago, Gez said:

The power crystal is literally a crystal that is somehow used as a source of power.

Gotcha, then "cristal de poder" is appropiated.

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

LoreMaster is like "Maestro del saber" and "saber" is the same as "conocimiento". "Imágenes y sonido" is better than visual. The term "You can't miss it" is a phrase that is complicated to explain due to the context used. It's like the term "no hay donde perderse", meaning that if you follow the directions correctly, you'll find it.

Cállalo/siléncialo...I haven't played Strife in its entirety but I guess that character is killed. Maybe "siléncialo" is the right word. Elevador/ascensor...here in Chile we say ascensor, for example. Weapons trainer should be "Instructor de armas" instead of "entrenador". Power crystal...again, I need to see it in-game. A hell of a fight...another term that must not be translated literally. "Infernal" is hellish, and "hell of a fight" should be "batalla intensa" or "dura batalla".

"Maestro del saber" sounds good to me.

Has cortado el cáncer de tu cuerpo, pero tu corazón aún late. Ahora debes encontrar al cirujano que mutila y controla a tu gente... el Maestro del Saber. Deténlo, y la siguiente pieza será tuya.

"You can't miss it", what about "no se puede pasar por alto" / "no lo puedes pasar por alto" / "no se puede ignorar" / "es inconfundible"?

I agree with "siléncialo", too.

Encuentra el santuario cerca del río. Están reteniendo a alguien llamado Beldin ahí dentro. Siléncialo y lleva su anillo a Rowan como prueba.

"Instructor de armas" also sounds good.

Destruye el cristal de poder que controla la red eléctrica que maneja los escudos de la orden. Ve a visitar a Worner, un espía que reclutamos en la bodega de la estación eléctrica. No olvides visitar al médico y al instructor de armas antes de ir.

and

Únete al asalto del castillo. Encuentra y elimina al programador. Ve al médico y al instructor de armas. Gasta todo lo que tienes. Esta va a ser una batalla intensa.

and

Busca al oráculo y pregúntale acerca de las otras piezas del Sigil. Toma tu recompensa y ve con el médico y el instructor de armas para salud y entrenamiento.

About pastebin, I hope I got it right:

https://pastebin.com/CkjUUKGV

I'll post more later.

Good day.

"No lo puedes pasar por alto"...That's the exact freaking phrase. Much better. 

I just realized that the flechette's ID is "ARTIPOISONBAG". Maybe "Frasco de Veneno" would be right.

6 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I just realized that the flechette's ID is "ARTIPOISONBAG". Maybe "Frasco de Veneno" would be right.

Yup. It has that ID...