Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necr0n0m

It Runs Doom - yay or nay?

It Runs Doom - a silly fad that exploits the capabilities of Doom for the purposes of entertainment or a great way to show mainstream media the flexibility of the Doom engine?

I haven't found a great deal of discussions about this on here so I was wondering what your thoughts were.

I wish I could see Doom being played on smart glasses. If anything a silly app which places Doom monsters in hallways which you can shoot :D

I know this is about having Doom as in the ms-dos old Doom being ran on anything with a screen. So far, I was mostly impressed with Doom on a smart watch. That and that Apple touch-sensitive side bar or whatever it is :D

20 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I wish I could see Doom being played on smart glasses. If anything a silly app which places Doom monsters in hallways which you can shoot :D

I know this is about having Doom as in the ms-dos old Doom being ran on anything with a screen. So far, I was mostly impressed with Doom on a smart watch. That and that Apple touch-sensitive side bar or whatever it is :D

smart glasses... like spectacles??? That would be cool. I also wonder, how many people have joined Doomworld and got into modding as a result of It Runs Doom being a highly visible meme thats attracted lots of outsider attention...

I didn't even realize this was memetic. I mean, of course it is, but I didn't expect it to be particularly notable beyond places like Doomworld. As for topics here, a quick search shows the following:

I guess it's pretty cool? It's certainly more interesting when it's actually Doom and not just slapping together something that happen to make use of its assets. The latter makes it more of a sham of a benchmark rather than telling anything about the architecture it goes on.

@CapnClever Thanks for the links! I found a few of these but not all so I best get reading :) I guess it is kinda memetic... (i've only just started reading academic writings on memes - yes they exist and this is part of my degree lol and no i don't know what i'm gonna do in life xD ... a meme scholar?)