Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

The Totally Not Boring MegaWAD Club plays: Kuchitsu

(Let's hope this doesn't go beyond "joke" status. Note: it's still kinda legit.)

What is the Totally Not Boring MegaWAD Club?

This is a place where we play WADs, discuss them, interact with other posters, start debates more frequently than once in two weeks, an actual club basically.

Can I join?

If your username starts with an "H", "U", "O", "I", or "F", then NO. This is meant to keep the club interesting.

Otherwise, ofc, come on!

What levels am I allowed to post about?

The ones that comprise the mapset in the topic title. Duh.

Yeah, you can talk about any map, any day. Restricting members to discussing maps that share their numbers with the today date would be B O R I N G. Totally not boring, remember??

Do I have to post an entry every day?

YES YOU DO, if you don't... well... you don't wanna know.

When do we vote on the next month’s megawad?
On the last day of the month. Add a "DOGGY MAGGY" prefix to your post, to make the votes more visible. If you wanna vote for, say, Ultimate Doom (which you totally should), then add this to your post:

DOGGY MAGGY -- Ultimate Doom

----------
>>DOWNLOAD KUCHITSU HERE<<

Gotta go slow, very slow! Kuchitsu is a 2013 one-man 6-map mapset by Memfis that’s colorful and cool and nice and different and TOTALLY not boring!!!

Author & Maplist:

MAP01 - “Ikuwayo"

MAP02 - “Lotus Island”

MAP03 - “Mechanical”

MAP04 - “Water Leak”

MAP05 - “Doom Town”

MAP06 - “Have a Nice Flight”

BONUS CONTENT

the legendary thread that started this abomination

P.S. I should die

UV-Max/pistol starts Map 01 & 02: Meh, pretty lazy first two maps.  Hooray for no secrets.  I'll give it points for that.  Will continue and revisit later today.

MAP01 - "Ikuwayo"

Somewhat simple but it's cute and pleasant and a decent map to listen to some relaxing contemporary pop to. The fighting is largely forgettable, but it's obviously not the focus. Probably a bit too cramped and awkward in places, but thankfully no crazy platforming. I decided to play it keyboard-only with just right turns allowed.

MAP01 (and a bit of MAP02)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e431x31uircm30t/Kuchitsu_FDA_Necrum_GZ.lmp?dl=0

I meant to record in QZDoom but I accidentally clicked GZDoom in my launcher. Oh well. I personally thought the maps were pretty nice. Not overly detailed with some good texture choices. Not everything needs to be Ancient Aliens (fuck I need to shut up about that WAD). The gameplay was a tad lacking in the first map. I would have liked even just one box of shells to help deal with all the hitscanners and Imps. Pistolwhipping them isn't that fun, especially the Changunner. The low health on the map would have been fine if I had more than just Sergeant pickups. A strange thing indeed was the placement of the keys. You don't need the Green Key until about half-way through the map, but the layout and placement of the Changunner seem to direct you toward it long before you would ever go after the Red Key. It made it seem like the Green Key was actually kind of unnecessary. You would have to go down to that same area anyway later on with the Red Key to progress, so why place the Green Key down there at all? Aside from those complaints I rather liked the map.

MAP02 was instantly way easier than MAP01, which isn't good. I ran around a good portion of the map before I ever died, which is where I cut the demo off. I did really like the room with the... Green Key I think? When you enter, what seems like an easy grab starts sinking into the floor leading you to a bigger horde to deal with. I thought it was pretty cool.

MAP01: Ikuwayo

Played in Doom Retro, HMP skill, no saves, died once. :/

I love the colour green in Doom WADs, so this one is very appealing to me. Even the keys are green, yay! The map looks kinda adorable and tiny. The natural parts are nicely done, the caves, outdoors and everything. The monsters were challenging, but not unfair. Those key ambushes are something I'll never get used to. Ammo was enough plentiful to survive, but not much more, I had to resort to the pistol several times. (I don't really mind that, though.)

No secrets? What the heck? What kind of map is that?

The music is cute, heh.

A fair 7/10 from me. (-1 for slight lack of health and -2 for lack of secrets.)

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:

Green is a better color for a key card than yellow is.

I agree; it does take some getting used to, though. I'm too accustomed to seeing yellow instead of green in the status bar. :]

edit:

2 minutes ago, Memfis said:

**post below**

I do think it's a wasted opportunity that mappers almost never recolor keys. Seems like a very quick and rather efficient way to give your wad a bit of a unique identity. Might sound like a minor thing at first, but keys are something you think about all the time while playing Doom.

Yeah, but think of: the key trim textures, the sprite (which might be a show-stopper if you're a vanilla freak), the HUD graphics, not to mention that you have to include a DEH file, to change the strings. It's not always even possible.

Edited by bzzrak

I do think it's a wasted opportunity that mappers almost never recolor keys. Seems like a very quick and rather efficient way to give your wad a bit of a unique identity. Might sound like a minor thing at first, but keys are something you think about all the time while playing Doom.

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:

Green is a better color for a key card than yellow is.

I always play with a green key instead of yellow. (makes more sense, because RGB is the scheme for pixels and because Doom's yellow palette is more limited...to the point where the skull door is actually orange)

Same goes for Heretic, with a red key. (although the yellow palette is quite good there)

26 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

^ Mismatched colors on the automap aren't too good, though.

That's what (G)(Q)ZDoom's automap options are for ;)

*yawn*

:p (just kidding)

Looks like someone needs to update this to version 1.0.0.0.0.2

LEVEL 03 : "The Gauntlet"

BLUE KEY: From start, go to the west until you find the BLUE KEY.

RED KEY: The RED KEY is in the grassy area with the demons, spectres, and imps. (near the exit).

YELLOW KEY: Map 02 is not tainted with the YELLOW KEY.

team tnt hated yellow keys so much they didn't even put it in one map

19 hours ago, bzzrak said:

Can I join?

If your username starts with an "H", "U", "O", "I", or "F", then NO. This is meant to keep the club interesting.

Otherwise, ofc, come on!

Reveal hidden contents

Sonavabitch!

I played 5 levels of the mapset and they were quite fun and relaxing. My favorites were map 3 and 4. 5 was kinda cool, but tbh these more "realistic" approach to doom (with chairs, bookcases, etc) feels really uncanny to me. It was the hardest to so far, though, with a nice ambush. 1 worked well, though I think it could've been a bit more ambitious for a short mapset. (also some secrets would be cool)

Monster placement was really nice, you won't be grinding and will barely meet any pinkies while holding a pistol or a single shotgun. Health and ammo is quite strict, though, but since you're dealing with low tier enemies with low tier weapons, it doesn't add much pressure. There's a cohesive theme through all 6 levels and I liked the textures/sky chosen, it fits nicely for an episodic release. Soundtrack was also pretty good.

3 hours ago, ClumsyWizard said:

not enough brown.

People usually complain that a map is too brown. :]

(There was a thread here recently discussing that subject, btw.)

(I actually liked map01, now I want to finish this.)

MAP02: Lotus Island

(Doom Retro, HMP, pistol start, no saves)

A very easy, short map (completed in 03:30 or so). You are indeed on an island, with beautiful sprite trees around. Green green green! Yay, I love green!

I like the layout, you can just go forward and shoot.

The ambushes still feel kinda cheap, except that one with

a floor that lowers when you pick up a key,

that was surprising, but still very easy. I really have to put in my stupid head that ambushes are a thing, they should be expected sometimes.

The ship (or whatever) in the end of the level looked cute.

The music is just okay, not epic like in map01.

STILL NO SECRETS?? Not funny anymore, come on Memfis.

7/10 from me. (-3 for no secrets)

------------

edit:

lol it kinda ashames me to bump a joke thread. Nobody will notice, I guess?

MAP03: Mechanical

(died 4x)

Things start becoming difficult. An intense level. The opening fight is tough if you don't have a plan and you don't know where the ammo lies, I had to resort to provoking the monsters a few times. Health is very scarce here, ammo is tight, but manageable. You have to run over nukage a few times. The ambushes still piss me off, especially when they include gaygunners chaingunners. The Revenant fight had me like "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS CREATURE RUN FOR YOUR LIFE". Another scenario that striked me was a zombieman behind a barrel. I might be just overthinking, but it felt brilliant. You can't just run into the room and shoot the zombie, because you're most likely low on health and you might blow up the barrel!

Yay it's still green!!

On the contrary with the intenstity of the level, the music is all relaxed and zen.

TWO SECRETS!!1! Now it finally starts deserving that cacoward.

9/10 from me. (-1 for not having a bit more health.)

Edited by bzzrak : map03