Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DEATH762

WAD Suggestions

I was really impressed with the RDC Speedmapping Contest #6, and I want to know if there are any other megaWAD's that are similar. The theme of that contest was "city ruins".

The levels are short, simple, and straightforward, and each revolve around one giant monster gunfight as the focus. They're rough looking, like they haven't been completed yet. But the focus is on medium-to-long range fighting with monster hordes, with a minimal amount of exploring, key \ elevator \ switch solving.

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/RDC-SpeedMapping-Contest-6

20 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I think these wads would fit in your request,levels are short,straightforward,except no giant monster fights(maybe in some levels). 

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/1024

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/10sector

I played those already and enjoyed them.

They don't have to be small levels. I guess what I'm trying to say is if Doom really happened, I would imagine it to be a big, sloppy, all-on-one, nude monster dogpile. The idea that monsters are spaced out may be proper level design, but it's not good "economy of force". I'd like to play more WAD's that are 30 levels of massive, urban, hasty attack.

(The only problem is large PK3's like Complex Doom run too slowly when playing WADs with a lot of monsters)

Well,try A.L.T,Hellbound,Doom II reloaded,Sunlust,Valiant,Plutonia 2/revisited,Urania,Ancient Aliens,also check Doom megawad club. In first page you can see a lot of wads,maybe you here will find desired wads. 

6 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Well,try A.L.T,Hellbound,Doom II reloaded,Sunlust,Valiant,Plutonia 2/revisited,Urania,Ancient Aliens,also check Doom megawad club. In first page you can see a lot of wads,maybe you here will find desired wads. 

Hellbound is really good so far. OBLIGE is also good for experimenting.

I think what I'm looking for is very niche. Not a lot of expert WAD designers would waste their talents on basic, monster horde megawads.

Thanks

8 minutes ago, DEATH762 said:

Hellbound is really good so far. OBLIGE is also good for experimenting.

I think what I'm looking for is very niche. Not a lot of expert WAD designers would waste their talents on basic, monster horde megawads.

Thanks

Wait,if you never played Scythe,you should give a try. If you played it,replay again.

17 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Wait,if you never played Scythe,you should give a try. If you played it,replay again.

Hah, I did it twice in a row, years ago.

Tartaru5, chillax, and iu-part5 might be the type of wad you're looking for.

You could take a regular wad and add 10x.wad to multiply the monsters by 10, but don't do that with one of the above.

4 minutes ago, Empyre said:

Tartaru5, chillax, and iu-part5 might be the type of wad you're looking for.

You could take a regular wad and add 10x.wad to multiply the monsters by 10, but don't do that with one of the above.

Never heard of those before. Will check them out later.

That's a good idea. Never had the time to properly learn how to make a WAD, but I can do simple re-arrangements.

You don't have to change the wad. Just load it and also load 10x.wad. First, try just Doom or Doom 2 with 10x to see what it is like.

A current wip of my own is playable and might be just what your looking for. Cereal Killer is a project that is based around 5 to 10 minute long maps that take inspiration from wads like Scythe and the likes of. Check it out on my profile if you like :)

10 hours ago, DEATH762 said:

I'd like to play more WAD's that are 30 levels of massive, urban, hasty attack.

Kama Sutra.

10 hours ago, DEATH762 said:

if Doom really happened, I would imagine it to be a big, sloppy, all-on-one, nude monster dogpile

See above!