Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ShoDemo

GZDoom problem

Hi there. I have been playing Doom for a long while using ZDoom, which works like a charm and wanted to get my hands at wads that require more advanced engines such as GZDoom. Such wads I have tried on the past are Pirate Doom, Unloved and many others. 

So, my problem is that every time I start a wad with GZDoom, I get a window where Doom's menu should have been and although I can choose the options, I can't see them. If I start a new game this way, the map will be perfectly visible but I won't be able to see monsters, my guns and items (quite a big problem this is). Other times, when I start the game normally, it might say I have turned off the OpenGL renderer or something like that and I can never find where is the option to turn it on. That causes some exclamation mark triangles around the map, where some advanced features should have been and the lighting is lowered a lot.

I can't find what I am doing wrong or where is the problem. I always extract source ports on an empty directory, copy my Doom wads and place them in the directory and drag the wads I want to play on the exe of the source port (if that helps somehow).

1 hour ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

OpenGL renderer or something like that and I can never find where is the option to turn it on.

That is something that you toggle when you first start the launcher itself. I don't think you're supposed to change that ingame just like that. Not that I know a lot about source ports, though.

Might be wise to grab the most up-to-date version of GZdoom anyways, because it's up-to-date. ;-)

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card installed. Those also can break stuff.

About the graphics drivers, I am on a laptop, so I am pretty much unable to do anything with that. You see, if I try to update the drivers, they will destroy the resolution of the screen. I tried it once and used system restore afterwards, because I couldn't stand having 800x600 resolution when it should have been 1600x900. So I need my laptop's manufacturer (in this case Acer) to adjust the latest drivers for my laptop's resolution (never going to happen as it is an old model). But I will be making my own pc this summer and I think I will have to wait until then, if the updated GZDoom doesn't work for me.

That seems very odd, I've never heard of a properly working driver limiting screen resolution like that. Perhaps the one you tried was bugged and there's a fixed one now? Just out of interest, what is your CPU/GPU setup?

In the meantime, try QZDoom. It has all the behavioral functionality of GZDoom and a software renderer that can handle a lot of the OpenGL visual functionality too. You can bounce between rendering modes in-game (software vs. hardware, palette vs. true-colour, OpenGL vs. Direct X (although I've never actually tried playing with that one)) so should give you a few options to get right.

13 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

About the graphics drivers, I am on a laptop, so I am pretty much unable to do anything with that. You see, if I try to update the drivers, they will destroy the resolution of the screen. I tried it once and used system restore afterwards, because I couldn't stand having 800x600 resolution when it should have been 1600x900. So I need my laptop's manufacturer (in this case Acer) to adjust the latest drivers for my laptop's resolution (never going to happen as it is an old model). But I will be making my own pc this summer and I think I will have to wait until then, if the updated GZDoom doesn't work for me.

I guess that answers why you are having problems. Drivers that act this strangely tend to be broken.

Just downloaded GZDoom 2.4.0 and it had Hardware mode (OpenGL) and Software mode (Doom). I found out that the problem is most likely with the graphics card not supporting OpenGL that well. Thank you for reading and replying to my thread. I guess I will have to wait a few months in order to play some of these wads.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Just out of interest, what is your CPU/GPU setup?

My CPU is a first generation i5 460M clocked at 2.53 GHz and I have dual GPUs, an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, which I use and Intel graphics (much weaker than my primary GPU). And yes, the drivers could be a cause, but I don't think I have time to fix that. As I said above, I will be waiting for my new pc build.

In the meantime, try QZDoom.

I have to run GZDoom, because, in the meantime, I will be trying to cooperate with other members from the forums to demo some stuff.

Edited by ShotgunDemolition

1 hour ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I have to run GZDoom, because, in the meantime, I will be trying to cooperate with other members from the forums to demo some stuff.

Well as I understand it QZDoom is GZDoom, just with the addition of a true color software renderer. The next major release will merge the two into a single port as far as I know. They may even be able to play coop together at the same time, and demos recorded in one should be compatible with the other.

3 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

So I need my laptop's manufacturer (in this case Acer) to adjust the latest drivers for my laptop's resolution (never going to happen as it is an old model).

That's one of the reasons why I've decided to never again buy an Acer or MSI laptop.

56 minutes ago, Gez said:

That's one of the reasons why I've decided to never again buy an Acer or MSI laptop.

That is the reason I won't be buying any laptop ever again. Not saying that other brands don't make good laptops, but I decided going full desktop. I will build my dream pc and give the laptop to my sister (it is faster and more powerful than she needs it to be).