Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Antrywey (small vanilla level)

12 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Advanced engine needed : Vanilla compatible engine required.

I realize it's because it's a filled-out template and vanilla compat is required, but still... heh.

So, the level is serialized in a save, and you only share the save instead of the wad? And it works because the level geometry is exactly the same as the one in Entryway? That's it?

Awesome. I wonder if this trick can be used for arbitrarily different wads, just so I can prevent any ports from loading my vanilla wad... probably not 🙁

I'm away from computer, so I wonder if -recordfrom is a command-line that exists in vanilla Doom, and if it can be used to record replayable demos of this.

7 minutes ago, printz said:

Awesome. I wonder if this trick can be used for arbitrarily different wads, just so I can prevent any ports from loading my vanilla wad... probably not 🙁

I mean, you could make a WAD with the bare geometry and then use a savegame to load in all the actual sector / linedef / thing information, but you should extremely not do such a thing.

7 minutes ago, printz said:

I'm away from computer, so I wonder if -recordfrom is a command-line that exists in vanilla Doom, and if it can be used to record replayable demos of this.

Uhh, sort of. You can record a demo but not play it back under vanilla. And not for any particular reason - Carmack just didn't bother making sure the -loadgame and the -playdemo commands could be used simultaneously.

The return of those prehistoric wads from before BSP was deciphered, when modifying Doom was restricted to thing placement, and changing textures and sector heights, in id maps.

Alternatively an interesting way to route around the "no modified IWAD levels" /idgames upload rule.

DMPITS converted to a savegame for E1M6? If I understand correctly, if I load it and save the game, I should be able to reload the save over plain E1M6?

How did you-

(amazing, really.)

Oh, btw, I think you can rename the name of the savegames in DeHackEd, so that the name doesn't have to be doomsav0.dsg.

7 minutes ago, Astral-Doomer said:

How do you run this level. I keep copying and pasting the level with crispy & it doesn't work. ;-/

Put the save file in your crispy doom folder, start up crispy doom (with your doom 2 iwad) and then load the save. I think. I hope.

Derp, it works. Man, this level is tough. Are you supposed to snag the key from the spider demon or access something through the level? That is all. :-)

22 hours ago, RjY said:

DMPITS converted to a savegame for E1M6? If I understand correctly, if I load it and save the game, I should be able to reload the save over plain E1M6?

Interesting. I tried doing this but it didn't actually work - I guess the level data is slightly different somehow.

23 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Interesting. I tried doing this but it didn't actually work - I guess the level data is slightly different somehow.

Yes, it turns out linedef 1200 has an extra back sidedef that isn't in the original, so reloading a DMPITS save over E1M6 means P_UnArchiveWorld reads one too few sidedefs (8 shorts for line 1200 + side 1528, not 13 for line 1200 + side 1528 + new side 1727) thus garbage for linedefs 1201 onwards. Then P_UnArchiveThinkers dies on an unknown tclass.

1 minute ago, rehelekretep said:

edit: posted in the wrong thread!

a tragedy

Weird, this didn't work for me with Chocolate Doom 2.3.0 and Crispy 4... Oh, huh. My IWAD seems to still be 1.666. Heh.

I'd play it.  How did you do it?  I know I'm not well versed enough to repeat the process, but it's pretty interesting.
(btw linguortals are the coolest thing)

1 hour ago, Revae said:

How did you do it?

I think it goes like this:

• Save a copy of the source map into a new pwad.
  • Edit it as desired, but restricted to a subset of possible changes. Things may be added, removed, or changed arbitrarily, but remember you cannot choose skill or game mode, so best set all skill bits and reset multiplayer (ambush flag may be used freely). For other types of object, changing most properties is fine (textures/flats, floor/ceiling heights, lighting, sidedef offsets, most linedef flags, line/sector specials, tags). However anything that would require a node rebuild must be avoided. Do not move any vertexes, add or delete lines/sides/vertexes/sectors, or change the references between them. Do not set the 2s flag on a line with no back sidedef, although you may remove it from a two-sided line to create a thin impassible wall. There may be other restrictions; I cannot guarantee this list is exhaustive.
  • Save the map. Make sure your editor did not destroy the nodes in the process (e.g. don't use Eureka)
  • Load the map into Doom
  • Save the game as soon as possible (e.g. in Antrywey, 2 tics had been run when the game was saved)

You can test it works by running the game without the pwad. Reload the savegame over the original unmodified map. You should nevertheless still see your modified version. Give it a playtest to make sure it works as intended.

Alright, nice.  So I could actually do this.  I don't have a good reason to, but it's feasible.  Thanks.

On 4/20/2017 at 6:08 PM, Revae said:

I don't have a good reason to, but it's feasible.  Thanks.

Hmm, I can only think of a few reasons to do this. (aside from Linguica's obvious and blatant "I'll show them all!!")

Mostly they involve making some of the less than impressive Doom II levels, if not visually more impressive, then at least more difficult.

EX: that one room in map 8, with all the Barons and the lone Cyberdemon?  Yeah, try Revenants and an Archvile instead. (or two)
Sure, Rockets kill the Revenants easier than they would the Barons, but you can't trick the Archvile into wiping out half of them for you the way you "could" with the Cyberdemon. (and they're all faster than Barons and Cyberdemon)

And, conversely, making some of the extremely difficult parts less-so.
(I can't recall any at this moment, yet I know that's why I avoided several levels for years.

Finally, learning/experimenting with thing placement on a level and/or experimenting with progression.

Edited by Lord_Greyscale : typo correction