Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slimz

Slade v3 (Map Maker and wad/pk3 editor) starting up crash.

Question

It always crashing.

I use windows 10 PRO and SLADE always crashing then executed.

11 answers to this question

go to %APPDATA% and rename the entire SLADE3 folder to something like like broken_SLADE3; and try again.

If the runtimes weren't installed, the program wouldn't even run. Here it seems to freeze on startup (the startpage is showing) and it's not a fresh install (the list of recent files on the start page isn't empty).

Similar things have happened before; usually the cause was a broken or corrupted configuration file. Here's what I suggest:

1. Open a file explorer.
  2. Go to %APPDATA%\SLADE3
  3. Rename slade3.cfg to something like broken_slade3.cfg. (If you don't see any .cfg file, see this.)
  4. Start running SLADE 3 again. You'll have to run through the first configuration wizard again.
  5. If it works, please copy the content of broken_slade3.cfg to pastebin and link it to let sirjuddington and me look into the issue.

5 minutes ago, bzzrak said:

Any error message, anything? "Crash" is a broad definition.

No... I downloaded MC c++ 2015 and restarted.. Still doesn't work.

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

If the runtimes weren't installed, the program wouldn't even run. Here it seems to freeze on startup (the startpage is showing) and it's not a fresh install (the list of recent files on the start page isn't empty).

Similar things have happened before; usually the cause was a broken or corrupted configuration file. Here's what I suggest:

1. Open a file explorer.
  3. Rename slade3.cfg to something like broken_slade3.cfg. (If you don't see any .cfg file, see this.)
  4. Start running SLADE 3 again. You'll have to run through the first configuration wizard again.
  5. If it works, please copy the content of broken_slade3.cfg to pastebin and link it to let sirjuddington and me look into the issue.

Gonna look out.

24 minutes ago, Gez said:

1. Open a file explorer.

I did correctly but doesn't work. keeps crashing. https://pastebin.com/ruGEBg9c

5 minutes ago, Gez said:

go to %APPDATA% and rename the entire SLADE3 folder to something like like broken_SLADE3; and try again.

I did like few times. But I forgot say that... Then still I have broken SLADE3.cfg I always opening Slade.exe until stop crashing... After that now works normally if I don't close it. If I close it, I need do this again.

I don't get an insta-crash starting up SLADE3, but I can't get SLADE3 to open ANYTHING at all on Windows 7 Pro x64! 

It doesn't matter if I try to open a folder a .WAD a .PK3 or a .ZIP or even open a folder on any HDD/SSD, SLADE3 hangs for 5 seconds and then windows 7 blasts its critical error buzzer and I get a message in regards to an unhandled exception error, and if I click abort it quits.  If I click retry it quits, and if I click ignore it freezes and SLADE3's process has to be killed in task manager! 

I am trying to get a .pk3 together of my UltraHD texture pack demo with the game overrides included in folders inside the hires folder (doom.doom, doom.doom2, doom.doom2.plutonia, & doom.doom2.tnt) but if I just add them to the pk3 with a zip program no textures get loaded at all, same with having those folders outside of, and alongside the hires folder.  I can't check it in SLADE 3 as it crashes when attempting to open ANY file or folder.  I tried the renaming of slade3.cfg to broken-slade3.cfg and running the config again and I do have the VC 2015 redist installed, but no dice. 

I would really like to figure out how to have the main textures and the game specific overrides in one .pk3 file before I have enough new content to upload the second tech demo to ModDB.

Event Viewer isn't showing the details of the crash but I bet my balls it's an "Access Violation (0xc00000005)" exception crash.

Edited by hoover1979 : Updating information, fixing typos.