Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheMightyHeracross

Lights/Brightmaps

While I am aware that robotdog did this earlier, the download and screenshots are dead and the post was last December, so I'm not sure if it'd be up to date anyway. So here's mine just in case:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eem58t3rze5upeb/freedoomlights.pk3?dl=1

Screenshots:

Spoiler

A short lamp, now green.
mLu4pd8.png

Burning barrel, BFG, and bonuses.
ewkyw8B.png

Changes, with ZDoom actor names:

-Rocket (Rocket)
-BFG Ball (green --> blue) (BFGBall)
-Floor lamp (white --> green) (Column)
-Short lamp (pulsing light blue --> flickering orange) (TechLamp2)
-Tall lamp (light blue --> orangy-redish) (TechLamp)
-Burning barrel (orange --> blue)
-Candelabra (yellow --> orange-yellow) (Candelabra)
-Invulnerability (green --> purple) (InvulnerabilitySphere)
-Bonuses (blue(HP)/green(armor) --> red) (HealthBonus/ArmorBonus)
-"Blue" Armor (blue --> red) (BlueArmor)
-Imp ball (orange(flight)/red(explosion) --> yellow) (DoomImpBall)
-Cacodemon ball (reddish purple(flight)/red(explosion) --> bluish purple(flight)/blue(explosion)) (CacodemonBall)
-Mancubus ball (see Imp ball (flight) and Rocket (explosion) changes) (FatShot)
-Arachnotron plasma (yellow(explosion) --> green(explosion)) (ArachnotronPlasma)

Please tell me if I missed anything. If robotdog's version is still around and takes care of all this, this can be ignored, but I haven't been able to find it.

EDIT: Early brightmaps file. Baron/HKs have no brightmaps, as they only have placeholder frames with no lights. Didn't bother with Elementals or Viles yet- I think they're soon to be replaced anyway.

EDIT 2: Very minor update, but Baron/HK replacements have the map for the sparks on the lizard's head now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq7iyksvtznffoj/freedoombrights.pk3?dl=1

A screenshot with a few examples:

Spoiler

eG8Vjwh.png

EDIT: 9/1 additions:
x7fS4Q8.png

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

Cool.

Maybe we can supply this PK3 alongside the IWADs. Or just keep an optional DL link at the website?

Since the ZDoomGL system used for the stock GL defs (DOOMDEFS, HTICDEFS, etc.) only applies to the big 4, I doubt we're gonna get it implemented into the gzdoom.pk3 file. So I'd support shipping the pk3 with the zip that the iwads come in.

However, if this is gonna get shipped it won't be complete without brightmaps, IMO. (Go to the dark opening room of MAP03 and "summon HellKnight" with brightmaps, and you'll see what I mean). I know how to do them, but it'd take a while. I should also delete all the extra default lights that I left in there and didn't bother to delete (I copy-pasted the DOOMDEFS from lights.pk3 and edited from there).

Then do them.

I say it doesn't have to be shipped with the IWADs. Some people may not want to use it. Best to keep it optional via seperate download link.

i say ship it with the iwads, its not like its gonna go off authomatically, by the way i like how subtle you made it, seeing how easely people go over board with the "pretty lights"

Maybe as a separate package?

What I mean is there will be one DL for the IWADs only, one DL for this lights mod, one single DL containing both the IWADs and the light. Maybe with GZDoom also. Like the Starter Pack.

But I still think this light mod should be an optional DL.

It's possible for players to disable/enable dynamic lights in their GZDoom's options, which is of course a much easier solution than for Freedoom developers to provide multiple versions of Freedoom with and without the lights.

Brightmaps file up, see OP.

raymoohawk said:

by the way i like how subtle you made it, seeing how easely people go over board with the "pretty lights"

Thanks, although I just used the default radiuses (radii?) from lights.pk3. :P

Just to notify you: I fixed the dynamic lights for Freedoom today.

May I use the brightmaps you posted here in an official release? If so, how complete are they?

Bump.

I missed your post the first time, sorry! You can totally use them in an official release! It should have everything except the Vile and Elemental replacements, since those are placeholder sprites and aren't in dire need of brightmaps anyway. The file just got a tiny update- it adds brightmaps to the sparkling on the Baron's lizard-head-cannon-thing.

Noted. I'll wait until it becomes clearer which assets are going to stay and which won't. Even with the light definitions I'll have to fix some because the assets were replaced.