Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rifle Infantry

Doom 3: Depths of Evil [Community Project]

John Romero thought intensely. After a heady pause, he spoke.

"I think we can milk a bit more money out of Doom before we go bigger," he said...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vEXmv6u.png

(Credit to GamesWalls)

The Basics

This is not the timeline you know.

In the year 1995, id Software announced that they were creating another game in their bestselling "Doom" series, following up Doom II: Hell on Earth. Doom III: Depths of Evil would feature a brand-new 32-level trial of terror for their unnamed Marine hero, taking place on the UAC outpost on Saturn's moon, Titan.

The objective of this mapping project is to create something not dissimilar to what Doom 3 would be like if id Software went the way of Capcom and started producing Doom games on a rapid basis throughout the 90s. The chief difference between this project and most megawads is that it will use a set of 7 new monsters, much as how Doom II added 7 new monsters to Doom I's bestiary. Additionally, for the first time in Doom history, your Marine comrades would appear beyond just corpses, capable of fighting alongside you on certain levels.

The maps would resemble Doom II's in architecture and detail, with only a few new tricks thrown in to reflect yearly progress, such as polyobjects and a new ability to look up and down- "freelook". Doom III would expand upon Doom II in much the way it did to Doom I, taking points from both of its predecessors to create a refined experience.

New Content

Weapons:

• Rifle (Slot 2, replaces Pistol): Following the invasion of Earth, the Space Marine Corps upgraded its minimum armament from a pistol to a rifle. This weapon is accurate, fires quickly, and comes with 80 bullets to start, but still has the low damage of the old Pistol.
  • Railgun (Slot 6): An experimental sniper rifle firing compressed energy slugs at high velocity. Can instantly gib smaller monsters, and uses 10 cells per shot. Perfectly accurate and deadly powerful.

Monsters and Allies:

• Former Scientist: Attempts to rush toward you and beat you to death with a crowbar. No relation to other crowbar-wielding physicists. An unformidable threat that can be dispatched quickly and with ease.
  • Former Marine (Rifle): With health between a Former Sergeant and an Imp, and firepower in the form of a Rifle, this undead Marine is a formidable threat at close range, firing two-round bursts continuously. At long range it fires more slowly, but steadies its weapon for increased accuracy.
  • Former Marine (Plasma): This zombie Marine can be distinguished by its lack of a helmet. It's armed with a Plasma Rifle and can fry you in a few seconds if you can't dodge its rapid plasma bursts.
  • Roach: A skittering, hunched green humanoid that resurrects fallen comrades and regenerates health passively, but can only claw at you in self-defense.
  • Hectebus: A warped, twisted Mancubus that flies and fires blasts of concentrated nukage that deal splash damage. 800 health, and is resistant to splash damage. A difficult enemy to fight, especially in close quarters.
  • Cyberbaron: A cybernetically-modified Baron of Hell resembling a Cyberdemon. An extra 100 health, and can either throw a triplet of fireballs or fire a rocket from its launcher.
  • Railgun Revenant: Armed with a demonic railgun that fires perfectly-accurate, rapidly-moving, highly-damaging shots instead of homing missiles.
  • Marines: Your comrades. They come packing rifles, shotguns, or chainguns, and don't damage you or each other. They're good shots but are less durable than you.

Mapping Rules

• Use UDMF format, please.
  • Use this content pack, featuring the new monsters. Credits for all resources used are contained within. While you don't have to use the new monsters in a map, it's encouraged to do so. For now there are 7 monsters plus allies, but I may expand it in the future to include more content.
  • Try to keep your general map look and feel to resemble Doom I and II, though you can add your own bits and pieces. Don't add anything that would look out of place in a mid-1995 id Software .wad (so no massive GZDoom visual effects, 3d models, etcetera). Since Doom 3 expanded upon Doom 2, feel free to use polyobjects and design your map around freelook.
  • Claim a map position before you do your map. When it's done, send it to me in a private message. Every 5-map milestone, or when I feel like there's a good bit of progress that should be released, I'll post them as an in-progress overall .wad.
  • MAP01-MAP10 should be techbases, MAP11-MAP20 should be infected techbase and civilian areas, and MAP21-30 should be Hellish environments. MAP31 and 32 are to be considered one block with a specific theme, and should be both done by the same author. MAP15 should feature a secret exit to MAP31, and MAP31 should feature a secret exit to MAP32.
    • MAP33 is a Super Secret Map (TM). It can only be accessed through a secret exit in MAP32. It would lead straight to MAP30 after conclusion.
  • Please no slaughtermaps or sprawling ungodly abominations filled with millions of monsters. Preferably every map should have a theme and be fun in its own way, instead of becoming a mindless slog.
  • Try to keep your maps quality. Don't make untextured, blocky maps filled with single monster types that wouldn't make the cut for Wolfenstein 3D. Quality maps are the backbone of a megawad.
  • You can include your own MIDIs if you want. The more the better, since in a perfect situation we wouldn't use any Doom II songs whatsoever.

Screenshots

http://imgur.com/a/L1Sgr- MAP01: Assault

Reveal hidden contents

sc1.jpg sc2.jpg sc3.jpg sc4.jpg sc5.jpg sc6.jpg

Download Link

Currently empty. Will add new link every 5 map milestone or when I feel like doing it sooner.

Load all single maps with the Content Pack.

Current Status

MAP01: Rifle Infantry (v1 complete)

MAP02: HyperLuke

MAP03: Bauul

MAP04: SArais

MAP05: Unclaimed

MAP06: Unclaimed

MAP07: Unclaimed

MAP08: Unclaimed

MAP09: dpstatic

MAP10: Unclaimed

MAP11: Crunchynut44

MAP12: Unclaimed

MAP13: Unclaimed

MAP14: Unclaimed

MAP15: Unclaimed

MAP16: Unclaimed

MAP17: Unclaimed

MAP18: Unclaimed

MAP19: Unclaimed

MAP20: Unclaimed

MAP21: Unclaimed

MAP22: bonnie

MAP23: Unclaimed

MAP24: vincent0s (v1 complete)

MAP25: vincent0s

MAP26: Unclaimed

MAP27: Unclaimed

MAP28: MysteriousHaruko

MAP29: Unclaimed

MAP30: Unclaimed

MAP31 and MAP32: Unclaimed

MAP33 (The Super Secret Map): NecrumWarrior

Spoiler

Oremor nhoj em llik tsum uoy emag eht niw ot

Edited by Rifle Infantry

Made a quick sample map to see the monsters in action. Pretty cool stuff. Curious if you'll be making a map yourself.

I have this funny idea in my head to make a secret map that's literally on the Titanic, but I don't know if I want to commit to making two maps for this project. Especially with my ever mounting list of community projects.

I'm interested. I'm currently finishing up a map for another project in doom format and am about to start another map in boom format, so after those two it would be super cool to get the trifecta and do a UDMF map (which i've never done before) with some frickin new enemies holy cow!! Hopefully there will still be episode 3 maps left when I'm ready (and hopefully I won't be all mapped out), 'cause I'd like to try my hand at a heck level.

:)

28 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Made a quick sample map to see the monsters in action. Pretty cool stuff. Curious if you'll be making a map yourself.

I have this funny idea in my head to make a secret map that's literally on the Titanic, but I don't know if I want to commit to making two maps for this project. Especially with my ever mounting list of community projects.

It could be possible to create a MAP33 for that, given the enhanced everything of Doom III in comparison to Doom II.

I already have a smallish "assault" map created in GZDoom Builder featuring the Marine NPCs and you in a firefight through a winding canyon gorge to the base's entryway, to demonstrate them in a suitably epic way, but I'm having issues with the last door not working for God knows why. Combine that with my relative inexperience in mapping, and I've withheld it from release for now.

EDIT: Here is said map. Right now it's a bit broken (last door doesn't work) but you can see the Marines in full action, as well as a few new NPCs (i.e. the Former Marine with rifle, and the Former Scientist). It's meant as a MAP01, but right now it's unpolished and rather shite, so I figured I'd show it as a tech-demo just to demonstrate the Marines. Note: You will need to load it with the Content Pack from the OP, as it doesn't contain the new monsters in itself. Load it with Doom II.

Edited by Rifle Infantry

I'm down for Super Super Secret MAP33 if you are! No guarantees of when it will be done, but given this project is just starting it will probably be a while til it needs to be done.

I'll consider it, I'm already working on two doom community maps. The idea of a proper doom 3 really resonates with me. Just wondering what textures can we use and when the maps should be finished? I could do a MAP01 and a boss MAP30

3 minutes ago, HyperLuke said:

I'll consider it, I'm already working on two doom community maps. The idea of a proper doom 3 really resonates with me. Just wondering what textures can we use and when the maps should be finished? I could do a MAP01 and a boss MAP30

I have been thinking of extra textures to use, but for now I think we can stick to stock Doom II texes. I will look for some textures in due time though, since I do think that this project would need them to look like a proper Doom III and not just a Doom II expansion.

Maps don't have a specific schedule for finishing, but if somebody claims a map and doesn't finish it for an extended period of time, and without any explanation, I'll reopen that slot for claiming.

If you have any good, well-fitting texture packs to recommend, do say so; I'd certainly accept more textures into the .wad as long as they fit.

Also, are you saying you want to claim MAP01? That map in particular I was thinking would be rather specific; something along the lines of Brutal Doom 64's opening map, with a large-scale Marine assault showing off the new allied NPCs in full detail, since after that the most they could appear is through small pockets of resistance or safehouses and such (perhaps with Strife-style dialogue, I've experimented with this before).

This sounds like a cool project, but I think you might want to put some more thought into the expanded content rather than just grabbing the first few monsters that look cool from Realm667. Every monster that was added to Doom 2 added something new to the gameplay, and the new bestiary was very much designed to revolve around the addition of the SSG. How do your new monsters relate to your new weapons? What do they add? Most of them just seem like slight variants on existing monsters, especially the Dark Imp, Cyberbaron, and Hectebus. New zombies are always great, and I think the Rifle and Plasma Zombies would be fairly useful just because they're high-damage/low-health, which is lacking from Doom aside from the chaingunner. The scientist zombies always seem cool in theory, just from a flavor perspective, but I think you'll find that a melee enemy with less health than a Pinky adds basically nothing to gameplay because it poses no threat at all -- even the Pinky itself became a very weak enemy in Doom 2 because of the SSG. The railgun is an interesting addition to the arsenal -- what if you also had an enemy that uses it? Does the railgun have any weaknesses (or can you modify it so it does), and can you think of any new enemies that could take advantage of those weaknesses, or any enemies that the weapon's strengths wouldn't be helpful against to encourage more strategy in terms of weapon use (like how the Pain Elemental and chaingunner both have an advantage against the SSG's slow firing speed)?

Sure, you can always approach this project from the perspective of id selling out and shoveling out a bunch of random material, but whatever else they may have been, they were great at designing gameplay. Just my two cents.

On 4/9/2017 at 11:06 PM, Not Jabba said:

This sounds like a cool project, but I think you might want to put some more thought into the expanded content rather than just grabbing the first few monsters that look cool from Realm667. Every monster that was added to Doom 2 added something new to the gameplay, and the new bestiary was very much designed to revolve around the addition of the SSG. How do your new monsters relate to your new weapons? What do they add? Most of them just seem like slight variants on existing monsters, especially the Dark Imp, Cyberbaron, and Hectebus. New zombies are always great, and I think the Rifle and Plasma Zombies would be fairly useful just because they're high-damage/low-health, which is lacking from Doom aside from the chaingunner. The scientist zombies always seem cool in theory, just from a flavor perspective, but I think you'll find that a melee enemy with less health than a Pinky adds basically nothing to gameplay because it poses no threat at all -- even the Pinky itself became a very weak enemy in Doom 2 because of the SSG. The railgun is an interesting addition to the arsenal -- what if you also had an enemy that uses it? Does the railgun have any weaknesses (or can you modify it so it does), and can you think of any new enemies that could take advantage of those weaknesses, or any enemies that the weapon's strengths wouldn't be helpful against to encourage more strategy in terms of weapon use (like how the Pain Elemental and chaingunner both have an advantage against the SSG's slow firing speed)?

Sure, you can always approach this project from the perspective of id selling out and shoveling out a bunch of random material, but whatever else they may have been, they were great at designing gameplay. Just my two cents.

I tried to make sure every enemy had their role.

• Former Scientists are good for early-level "hordes" (and boy do I mean hordes) in classical zombie style, they're largely a goomba-tier enemy that's not meant to last until the end of the game. They're definitely not meant to be countered with the super shotgun, since even the basic rifle mows them down easily. The lack of civilian zombies just bugged me.
  • Dark Imps and Hectebi definitely could use some improvement. I could make the Dark Imp's fireballs homing (forcing you to take cover from an Imp horde with them inside) and I was considering making the Hectebi deal splash damage due to their fireballs being compressed nukage in my mind, not unlike Doom 2016's Cyber-Mancubi.
  • Cyberbarons are minibosses, sort of like what the Barons at the end of E1 in Doom should have been. Most of the danger comes from positioning; no monster in Doom, even the Cyberdemon, is dangerous if you have a good combat environment. Pair it with a tricky one (such as a corridor, where a single rocket is death) and it gets tricky.
  • I was considering adding a railgunner zombie, but I felt that I was getting a bit too former-human heavy. That could just be me, though, since zombies seem to be fun enemies to fight. The railgun is meant for both deathmatch play in-universe (since id would want to expand deathmatch, having a high skill high reward weapon would mix things up) and as a good sniper weapon in singleplayer that lets you engage big demons at range without them dodging your rockets or taking scratch damage from a rifle.
  • The railgun fires slowly, but I removed its reloading from Skulltag as I thought it seemed too un-vanilla-like. If the Railgun consumed more ammo I think it would be more difficult to use, punishing players who don't have good accuracy. As it stands it eats 10 cells per shot; 10 plasma balls would certainly do more damage than a railgun bolt. At close range the Railgun is only good if enemies line up for a multi-kill; other than that it eats ammo and heavily underperforms against the Plasma Rifle and even the Chaingun.

Overall, that was a very thoughtful post. I'm thinking about how the Railgun can mesh into combat here, and I will certainly be changing the Dark Imp and Hectebus. I am considering taking the homing idea I've been looking at for the Dark Imp and applying it to a new enemy, the Soul Harvester.

Edited by Rifle Infantry

Looks like an interesting project! I'm about to finish my map for the Plain Ol Doom 2 community wad, so going on to make a Doom "3" map seems like a nice logical step!

Could I grab one of the first levels, say Map 3? I have a few good ideas for a smaller, compact tech base that would be pretty ideal for an early level in a megawad.

8 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Looks like an interesting project! I'm about to finish my map for the Plain Ol Doom 2 community wad, so going on to make a Doom "3" map seems like a nice logical step!

Could I grab one of the first levels, say Map 3? I have a few good ideas for a smaller, compact tech base that would be pretty ideal for an early level in a megawad.

Of course! I like littler Doom 1 style tech bases.

Edit: added to list.

1 hour ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I have been thinking of extra textures to use, but for now I think we can stick to stock Doom II texes. I will look for some textures in due time though, since I do think that this project would need them to look like a proper Doom III and not just a Doom II expansion.

Maps don't have a specific schedule for finishing, but if somebody claims a map and doesn't finish it for an extended period of time, and without any explanation, I'll reopen that slot for claiming.

If you have any good, well-fitting texture packs to recommend, do say so; I'd certainly accept more textures into the .wad as long as they fit.

Also, are you saying you want to claim MAP01? That map in particular I was thinking would be rather specific; something along the lines of Brutal Doom 64's opening map, with a large-scale Marine assault showing off the new allied NPCs in full detail, since after that the most they could appear is through small pockets of resistance or safehouses and such (perhaps with Strife-style dialogue, I've experimented with this before).

Well in that case, I would like to claim MAP02 then. Textures from Realm667 would look good, such as the Darkbase set, silver pack, and a few others. In terms of the look and style, IMO it shouldn't look exactly like Doom 3, but not like a map pack using doom 2 textures only.

There are also the actual Doom 3 Textures converted to Doom Classic, which fit surprisingly well.

I agree that a more original enemy would be cool, even if it were just one. Maybe someone with some spriting skill will turn up.

Have you worked on any previous projects before, OP? Most folks like to see some prior work when a community project or a mega project thread pops up like this?

3 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

Don't add anything that would look out of place in a mid-1995 id Software .wad (so no massive GZDoom visual effects, 3d models, etcetera)

Could be interesting.

What do you mean for massive? 3D floors? Does it have to be vanilla looking or what?

Original enemy idea: monster that spits Pain Elementals they same way PE spits Lost Souls. Possible without Zdoom stuff? Flying, being big and having HP as Spider Mastermind. I dont know if I didnt say it somewhere already, but it would be hardcore :)

5 hours ago, Glaice said:

Have you worked on any previous projects before, OP? Most folks like to see some prior work when a community project or a mega project thread pops up like this?

I haven't released any serious mapping projects, but I'm fairly familiar with the process of mapping.

4 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

Original enemy idea: monster that spits Pain Elementals they same way PE spits Lost Souls. Possible without Zdoom stuff? Flying, being big and having HP as Spider Mastermind. I dont know if I didnt say it somewhere already, but it would be hardcore :)

Agony Elemental. Now that's a solid boss monster. I think Doom 3 needs new bosses beyond the Cybie and Spider Mastermind anyway.

1 hour ago, vincent0s said:

Why not let the rifle replace the chaingun, instead of the pistol? The chain gun is to OP.

The chaingun is solidly balanced, as are other vanilla weapons. I considered making it an assault rifle, but I figured that the rifle fit the basic weapon role better.

5 hours ago, Angry Saint said:

Could be interesting.

What do you mean for massive? 3D floors? Does it have to be vanilla looking or what?

Essentially no enormous visual effects that couldn't be achieved in 1995. I will replace the railgun effects to this end.

I like the concept of a 'vanilla styled modern wad', using modern formats and features while trying to keep it retro.

I'm not going to map for this project but may keep an eye on this to see how it goes!

Interesting project! Hopefully, this is not going anywhere like other attempts at a retro-style Doom III.

However, I am not going to lie, I am not a fan of the "Titanic Evil" subtitle. Not only does it sound random, but when I first saw it, I immediately thought of the Titanic - the doomed (lol) ship - and I was wondering if the plot was going to revolve around a UAC ship colliding with a Hell asteroid or something... Uh, come to think of it, that would actually work!

12 hours ago, Rifle Infantry said:

I tried to make sure every enemy had their role.

• Former Scientists are good for early-level "hordes" (and boy do I mean hordes) in classical zombie style, they're largely a goomba-tier enemy that's not meant to last until the end of the game. They're definitely not meant to be countered with the super shotgun, since even the basic rifle mows them down easily. The lack of civilian zombies just bugged me.
  • Dark Imps and Hectebi definitely could use some improvement. I could make the Dark Imp's fireballs homing (forcing you to take cover from an Imp horde with them inside) and I was considering making the Hectebi deal splash damage due to their fireballs being compressed nukage in my mind, not unlike Doom 2016's Cyber-Mancubi.
  • Cyberbarons are minibosses, sort of like what the Barons at the end of E1 in Doom should have been. Most of the danger comes from positioning; no monster in Doom, even the Cyberdemon, is dangerous if you have a good combat environment. Pair it with a tricky one (such as a corridor, where a single rocket is death) and it gets tricky.
  • I was considering adding a railgunner zombie, but I felt that I was getting a bit too former-human heavy. That could just be me, though, since zombies seem to be fun enemies to fight. The railgun is meant for both deathmatch play in-universe (since id would want to expand deathmatch, having a high skill high reward weapon would mix things up) and as a good sniper weapon in singleplayer that lets you engage big demons at range without them dodging your rockets or taking scratch damage from a rifle.
  • The railgun fires slowly, but I removed its reloading from Skulltag as I thought it seemed too un-vanilla-like. If the Railgun consumed more ammo I think it would be more difficult to use, punishing players who don't have good accuracy. As it stands it eats 10 cells per shot; 10 plasma balls would certainly do more damage than a railgun bolt. At close range the Railgun is only good if enemies line up for a multi-kill; other than that it eats ammo and heavily underperforms against the Plasma Rifle and even the Chaingun.

Overall, that was a very thoughtful post. I'm thinking about how the Railgun can mesh into combat here, and I will certainly be changing the Dark Imp and Hectebus. I am considering taking the homing idea I've been looking at for the Dark Imp and applying it to a new enemy, the Soul Harvester.

Just a couple more thoughts on the monsters:

I think it's definitely important to make sure every monster has a distinct role, and one of the big lessons I've learned with modding (both Myth and Heretic) is that small tweaks that sound good in theory often barely make any impact at all. Sometimes you have to really exaggerate the effects and overhaul the monster a few times to get it right. Having a zombie that has more health may make no difference at all if it still goes down in one shotgun blast or another half a second of chaingun fire, and having it be more accurate than the zombieman may be pointless since the Sergeant's spreading attack already has the same effect; in fact, a more accurate zombie may be *less* likely to hit a moving player than a Sergeant. A version of the Cyberdemon that takes less time to kill may seem like an obvious choice, but you may find that it's really just a more tedious Baron of Hell. These are the sorts of things you'll want to think about when you're balancing enemies. If you haven't already, I would strongly suggest learning basic Decorate code and figuring out how to make any useful changes yourself.

-Scientist Zombie: if you really want this guy, I do think it makes sense from a more casual perspective. It would be a fun enemy to mow through, and it definitely adds something to the setting of the game. Just understand that it isn't really going to provide much in terms of tactical gameplay.

-Rifle Zombie: May or may not be a good idea. If you add it, you'll really want to take a good hard look at it and make sure it fills a role that the Sergeant and chaingunner don't already fill; based on your current description, it doesn't sound like it to me. Some basic changes you could make include making it move significantly faster than other zombies and take more like two full shotgun shells to kill. Or maybe you'll want to do something more radical than that. If you give it more health, make sure it has some good sprites that make it look healthier than standard zombies; the Zombie Marine sprites, or the rifle zombie that was just added on Realm667 (which may be what you're already using) might be good sprite sets.

-Plasma Zombie: Like I said, I think this is a good idea, but if you're using the version from Realm667, I would suggest making some balance changes. That version is basically just a weaker Arachnotron, with the same firing speed and very short attack bursts. Having your zombie fire plasma as fast as the player and fire in long enough bursts to keep the player slightly pinned down (but without making it fire indefinitely like the Arachnotron) might be one good way to make it a more interesting enemy.

-Dark Imp: to be honest, I don't think there's a whole lot you can do with this enemy that would make it feel like it's an important part of gameplay, short of rebuilding it from the ground up -- and if you do that, you might as well find some more interesting sprites than the Dark Imp. Making it be a weaker Revenant doesn't seem very useful in a game that already has the Revenant in it, imo.

Hectebus: I think this has the potential to be one of your most interesting new enemies, but you'll definitely want to make changes to it. I think your idea of giving it splash damage makes sense, but you'll probably also want to give it a tougher attack pattern, which is the main thing that the original Mancubus brought to the table in Doom 2. My suggestion would be to give it a much more challenging attack spread, both with more projectiles and longer attack bursts, but still make it possible to dodge; many people complain that Valiant's super-Manc is impossible to dodge, which takes some of the fun out of combat by making cover-strafing the only viable tactic against it. As I recall, the Realm667 Hectebus is actually less interesting than the Mancubus, since it doesn't have a real attack pattern; it just fires three volleys of two projectiles that are close together. Since the Hectebus will promote huge amounts of infighting no matter what (spreading attack plus splash damage), you may want to consider making it a very powerful miniboss enemy that can easily hold its own against other monsters; otherwise, the player will rarely even have to fight it.

Cyberbaron: Still not sold on this. Having it alternate between two different attacks is nice in theory, but a Baron fireball and a rocket are basically the same, because a player has to react to them in almost the exact same way. If you give a monster two attacks, make sure they require different responses from the player. For instance, you could give him one rocket or a spread of three Baron fireballs, or a Mancubus-like attack pattern and a double-hit of homing missiles, or a grenade and a beam that bounces off walls (all of which would have been feasible a year or two after Doom 2 came out, I think). I would also strongly recommend that you don't give it more health than a Baron unless it has much more dangerous attacks/attack patterns than you're currently proposing. An 8-rocket Afrit is okay because its attacks are challenging and it keeps the player engaged -- and even then, many people complain about the Afrit being annoying to fight. Having an enemy that's basically a Baron but has even more health is a bad idea, because the high-health to low-threat ratio is already what people hate about Barons.

Laser Revenant: This sounds like by far your most interesting new enemy, as it adds things to the gameplay that aren't already present. I really hope you'll try to give this a more interesting set of sprites rather than just making it look like a Revenant; there's no way id would have added 7 new enemies to their new Doom game that all look like variants of existing enemies. Also, iirc, the Realm667 Laser Revenant looks extremely similar to the existing Revenant -- same colors and same basic look -- so it would be hard to tell the two enemies apart. I know it's hard to create new art, but if you can't do it yourself or get another contributor to do it, I hope you'll at least find an enemy on Realm667 that looks less like an existing Doom enemy and give it similar attacks and attributes to what you're getting from the Laser Revenant (and again, be willing to rebalance as needed!).

That's all I've got for now. Best of luck with the project!

An idea: instead of a Dark Imp, how about a healer-type monster? It could use Realm667's Hellion sprites.

Think of a mini Archvile that would be more interested in keeping its allies alive than fighting you.

Another idea: an enemy that would actually try to rob you of your current weapon and try using against you, like Scourge of Armagon's Gremlin. Or if that is too hard to code, maybe something more along the lines of Diablo III's Treasure Goblin that would go around hoarding ammo and health pickups, forcing you to kill it in order to get them back.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf