Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Yooka-Laylee

yooka-laylee.png

This is a thread to discuss the newly-released "3D adventure / platformer / collect-em-all / buddy-duo" game which serves as a spiritual successor to the Banjo Kazooie games on the Nintendo 64.

So, I've got Yooka-Laylee preloaded in Steam back at home and have full intent of playing it as much as possible over the next week or so. Is anyone else here excited for the game and/or purchased it?

This thread is to be a NO-SPOILER thread, if you found a particular part of the game fun and want to share your thoughts, please make use of the spoiler tags.

I saw Jim Sterling post a video of the early alpha (or beta? I don't know) a couple of months ago, and I was not impressed at all. The first thing that caught my attention was the horrible performance. I understand that it was still an early version of the game (and it runs on Unity, so that explains), but man... I would not be happy playing a platform-game this choppy.

Another thing I don't like is that they removed Jontron's voice-lines from the game in light of his recent political discussions. I'm normally not bothered by this sort of thing since I try to enjoy games objectively, but this just seemed like a sly move in order to pander to SJW hipsters.

Yeah, the footage I saw really paled in comparison to what I was expecting. I might give it a try some time, but at the moment it doesn't look to be worth paying for, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

but this just seemed like a sly move in order to pander to PERSON I DON'T LIKE people i don't like.

ah yes, it must be pandering to a bogeyman instead of the devs actually having a disagreement with his highly condescending viewpoints

Playtonic feeling the need to make sure those with a phobia of loud, chubby hobbits aren't any less than 100% comfortable seems a bit misplaced when the mediocre controls have contributed to far more upset.

2 hours ago, Arctangent said:

ah yes, it must be pandering to a bogeyman instead of the devs actually having a disagreement with his highly condescending viewpoints

What else would you call it then? There is literally no other reason for removing his lines from the game other than having them pander towards a large demographic. Just being in "disagreement" with someone does not warrant such an action otherwise, let alone publicly announcing it.

I've been playing this game since I got home from work today at 5 and it's now 10:30. No plans on stopping anytime soon either. Enjoying this game immensely! The camera issues are there but certainly not to the extent of shitting on the entire game for it. They can get weird in tight spaces (that's what she said) but nothing you can't get past. It's been a fun few hours and I do believe it will be fun for the remainder of the game. Looking forward to unlocking the 64-bit modifier :D 

I haven't played a game like Banjo Kazooie for almost two decades, perhaps I will give this game a look.

1 hour ago, Agentbromsnor said:

What else would you call it then? There is literally no other reason for removing his lines from the game other than having them pander towards a large demographic. Just being in "disagreement" with someone does not warrant such an action otherwise, let alone publicly announcing it.

Literally. Or, you know, maybe the developers were personally offended and chose to remove his lines. If you can get some media attention in the process, why the hell not; game advertising is fucking ruthless so take any exposure you can get.

I really have no opinion one way or the other on that aspect of it, but there are a bunch of people asking for a refund on the grounds of "I paid for a game with Jon in it but didn't get a game with Jon in it". It does seem vaguely close to false advertising, as many of them claim. I wonder if there will be any recourse? I don't dispute their right to put whatever they want or don't want into their game, but I am curious how that aspect of it will play out.

EDIT: Just to clarify in case there's any confusion, I think the "controversial" shit JonTron said was dumb as hell. Ignorant rambling, essentially

Edited by Doomkid

The reviews seem to like it enough for one of my Steam friends to write his own review saying "the 2+ million dollars on Kickstarter went to paying off reviews."

The game looks fantastic and I have never played Banjo & Kazooie. I was too busy not even playing Mario 64.

I also enjoy the "no spoiler thread" followed by hey watch my Stream!

Something, Something, Something, Mighty No. 9

11 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Another thing I don't like is that they removed Jontron's voice-lines from the game in light of his recent political discussions.

Okay, I keep hearing about this this, but.. does that game have any actual dialogue in the first place?

From what I've seen the only "voice acting" in this game are random squeaks and snorts.

Would people really get triggered by this and go "Wait, I recognize that grunting! It's that Nazi guy!"

Really.. that's plain dumb.

So after playing for just shy of 4 hours last night I found out a fair few things and have formed some opinions.

• This game is great, so far.
  • Grant Kirkhope has outdone himself on the soundtrack.
    • The music itself is great and doesn't repeat in irritating ways
    • The variations which fade in and out based on location is fantastic
  • The movement is smooth and legitimately fun.
    • However, sometimes the movement is so good I'm not sure if I'm doing things the intended way or potentially sequence breaking?
  • The characters are pretty cool, fun and creative.
    • I'm enjoying the punny names.
    • I don't think Yooka & Laylee are as charming as the bird & bear combo we know and love from the 90's however.
  • The main 'baddie' in this game reminds me a lot of Gruntilda fom Banjo Kazooie, as you would expect, but is a LOT less annoying.
  • The levels are f'ing HUGE
    • I've played almost 4 hours, and aside from intro cutscenes and the likes, I've spent almost ALL of that on the first level
      • I didn't get bored of it either. It's simply a testament to the levels size.
    • A trope of these type of games is very present - 'come back later when you have more abilities'.
    • And to add to that, you can expand these huge levels into behemoth-sized worlds. Amazing!
  • The game is not very 'streamable' however.
    • It's not fast paced enough to want to watch
    • Players will spend many minutes working out how to obtain items and solve puzzles
    • Not enough happens to keep me talking about what I do.
      • That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, but I probably won't stream it.
  • There's SO MUCH to collect, it's almost overwhelming - but not quite.
  • A very bad feature however is the beyond shoddy PC controls. It's fortunate I intended to play this with a controller.
    • There's no ability to map controls either
    • I've yet to do this but I intend to make my n64 controller work with the game. I know it's possible using controller remapping software packages.

All in all, I look forward to getting back home to play more. Time will tell if it holds it's entertainment value however.

Current opinion: 8/10.

1 hour ago, geo said:

I also enjoy the "no spoiler thread" followed by hey watch my Stream!

You don't have to click on the link, do you? The no spoilers is more of a case of not ruining events in the game within the conversation on this thread that you would read / see, so no screenshots, no discussing bosses or characters in specific just yet. Let people experience it 'fresh' first. If you wanna show off something that could be considered a spoiler, spoiler tag it or provide an off-site link, since nobody HAS to click the link.

Also all this crap about JonTron - whatever. He wasn't originally in the game and his input would have been some inconsequential snippets of noise to form a 'character' of sorts. I don't like nor dislike the dude. He may put a lot of effort in his videos but he's ultimately just another "noisy gaming Youtuber". I'm amazed people blew up so hard about his removal, and I'm actually happy for Playtonic about their decision to stand up to their beliefs despite the potential negative impact it could have on the game's sales.

I have never really cared about JonTron so I don't hate nor like him so it doesn't really seem like a loss to me.

Edited by Avoozl

Another thread derailed by JohnTron.

Edited by geo

6 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

game advertising is fucking ruthless so take any exposure you can get.

Exactly proving my point; they're pandering to the political correct crowd.

10 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Just being in "disagreement" with someone does not warrant such an action otherwise, let alone publicly announcing it.

Yes it does.

5 hours ago, Agentbromsnor said:

Exactly proving my point; they're pandering to the political correct crowd.

Or maybe, you know, simply not comfortable associating themselves with someone who's publically concerned about the purity of the white race.

Like, if that guy worked for me in any capacity, you can bet I'd have fired his ass over that.

I can't wait to grab it. Steam release when?

Also I'm happy to say I've never watched JonBon or Game Gumps and thus share no guilt or anger over his self-destruction B)

I think I will purchase it from GoG.

55 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:
@Mr. Freeze BEFORE YOU BUY - Make sure you have a 'modern day gaming controller' of some description, such as PS4 or XBONE controllers.

Will a 360 controller work also?

I've not got one to test with I'm afraid, but I would assume so. Take a peek online, perhaps a Youtube video will shed some light. :)

6 hours ago, thaquoth said:

Or maybe, you know, simply not comfortable associating themselves with someone who's publically concerned about the purity of the white race.

Like, if that guy worked for me in any capacity, you can bet I'd have fired his ass over that.

Seriously? Why do you think that?

What if a black person expressed concerns in regards to the purity of the black race? Would you fire that person over that?

I don't see the issue here. Why is it so taboo to say anything in defense of the white race in particular?
There is nothing here that suggests any sort of discrimination towards anybody. It's just one person's opinion. Just for the record: Jontron is mixed race himself.

My point here is that this issue was waaaaaaaaay blown out of proportion. I've seen the "debate" and yes, Jontron certainly said some strange and unfortunate things, but I don't think he said anything that was really morally "wrong". If anything, I think Destiny's statements in regards to the Japanese is way more insulting, but he didn't get reprimanded because of that.

I'm a 100% liberal by the way.

Yes it does.

How does that in any way invalidate his work? If anything, the fact that he worked for them on the game, even if just a little, shows that these political differences shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Agentbromsnor

23 minutes ago, Agentbromsnor said:

yeah but what about

Not an argument. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Not an argument. 

Talking about creating a straw-man. I never said anything that can be equated to "but what about". What I did was make a comparison to something very similar but is typically not frowned upon in our modern society.