Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aubrey Hodges

Doom 64 - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition Soundtrack

Would a DLL made specifically to emulate the N64's sound system for fluidsynth be possible? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

Everything is possible. But that one thing would require very dedicated people with advanced skills in sound synthesis and reverse engineering.

2 hours ago, DustFalcon85 said:

Are they originally supposed sounded the same way in the Nintendo 64 version? It could be the EX engine is making them sound weird and different. Just to let you know. Maybe Kaiser knows. I forgot why they sounded differently.

I spoke to Kaiser about this in the past. According to him, from what I can remember, the ROM data he used for Doom 64 EX contained extra MIDI information, which is why the EX versions sound different. For whatever reason, that extra MIDI information just isn't used on the original N64 version. I unfortunately no longer have a log of this conversation, but this is pretty much the gist of what I remember.

The main theme for this better have the epic HEROIC HORNS that the remastered main theme of PSX doom had!

Seriously, if there's one thing I'd love is for the intermission of PSXdoom to have been remastered with all them trumpets and brass...

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

Would a DLL made specifically to emulate the N64's sound system for fluidsynth be possible? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about?

I don't know, but if you open up the newest mod, D64 Retribution, in slade ya get some pretty weird stuff

Sweet, looking forward to this a lot. I bought the PSX 20th anniversary one as well and thoroughly enjoyed it especially the bonus tracks. Hope some of the new tracks sound just as twisted as Breakdown or Dark Citadel

The album is really shaping up. Another 2 weeks or so should make it happen. 3 more bonus tracks to wrap up and one of the remixes. Also need to get it mixed and mastered but I am beginning to see the end of the tunnel:) In the meanwhile, I just released a really unique album with my son John. It's Beethoven Quartets in all their glory...but John and I approached this as if 4 sentient robots discovered earth music and played it using their internal synthesis chips. Take a listen and hopefully it'll hold ya until I get the Doom 64 project completed. 

https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/the-synthbots-beethoven-quartets-vol-i

-Aubrey

25 minutes ago, Aubrey Hodges said:

The album is really shaping up. Another 2 weeks or so should make it happen. 3 more bonus tracks to wrap up and one of the remixes. Also need to get it mixed and mastered but I am beginning to see the end of the tunnel:)

Good to hear, but please take your time! I love Doom 64 so much and the soundtrack as well. It deserves all the best and careful work to really make it better than ever. Looking forward to chilling out to over 3 hours or more of glorious Doom 64 ambience.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:52 PM, Gez said:

Everything is possible. But that one thing would require very dedicated people with advanced skills in sound synthesis and reverse engineering.

The Doom 64 MIDI engine is actually faulty, which results in the butchered tracks of the N64 version.

The MIDI's in the Doom 64 WAD generated from Doom 64 EX are from the actual ROM so the notes do play on the N64 version, but just at extremely low volumes (or in most cases, not at all).

I'm excited! I can't wait to listen to the new tracks. I still think Doom 64 is a pretty underrated game overall, with a killer soundtrack that turns it into a unique atmospheric shooter.

I also remember purchasing PSX Doom, and hearing that game's spooky ambient soundtrack. My initial reaction was "what the? This is different...", and my reaction after my first play-session was "this is freaking awesome".

On 5/30/2017 at 2:13 PM, DustFalcon85 said:

Any news or ETA on the new 20th Anniversary soundtrack? Take the time.

I hope Aubrey is alright, he said it would be finished in a couple weeks time from his last post but we haven't heard anything since. He's probably busy with real life stuff so there's no rush, just hoping he's okay.

I know we shouldn't bump threads just asking for progress but I'm actually asking about Aubrey, has anyone heard from him or know what the status is? It's been a awfully long time without a post from him or the soundtrack being released on his BandCamp page. I'm sure he's fine but I gotta know my man Aubrey is all and well.

Shucks, just my luck buying the original 64 ost two weeks ago before learning that there is an anniversary version in the works. However, if any of the bonus tracks comes anywhere near the dread factor that Breakdown/Pitfalls had, it'll certainly be worth another buy. Is there any way you might be able to remove the 60 cycle hum from the tracks before re-release? I've tried using Waves Q10 with its extremely high Q settings to notch those frequencies out, but it's not a perfect solution by far.

Give the man some time. I'm sure he's busy with other stuff. It's not like he's dead, else we would've known by now.

5 minutes ago, Voros said:

Give the man some time. I'm sure he's busy with other stuff. It's not like he's dead, else we would've known by now.

Agreed. This is really something I'd prefer him not to rush with, especially if he's making new tracks that work as a continuation of the original OST.

9 hours ago, Voros said:

I wasn't trying to suggest he hurry up, I was just concerned for him that's all. When someone says a "couple weeks" and you are expecting it, when a few more go by you start getting concerned for them, that's all.

Never said you suggested such a thing. Let's just put our trust in Aubrey and wait.

Hope Aubrey is fine, I've been concerned about this as well. Maybe he is busy with something great for our ears. His music is valuable to me. 

I hope it's just that he's busy. I hate to sound impatient but I'm more worried about the man himself than this soundtrack. He last said that it would be a couple more weeks but it's been months. I just hope he's doing well.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:43 AM, Nevander said:

I hope it's just that he's busy. I hate to sound impatient but I'm more worried about the man himself than this soundtrack. He last said that it would be a couple more weeks but it's been months. I just hope he's doing well.

This. Still waiting for updates.

I was wondering. Will Aubrey make a 20th Anniversary edition soundtrack of Quake 64 next year in 2018 and Quake II N64 in 2019?

Whoa that's crazy, I'm sorry to hear about all of that. Glad to hear you're doing okay though! Best wishes Aubrey, and thank you for your contributions.