Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem16: The finishing

= DOWNLOAD Updated April 25th =

So. This took a hell of a lot longer than I wanted it to or it should have regardless. Part of this I'd like to blame on someone else, but the truth of the matter is that management is always responsible for calling the shots. I'm going to suggest to anyone interested in running projects to take a few guidelines into consideration so you don't repeat my mistakes.

1: Don't multitask managing community projects. You will get overwhelmed by something as dumb as maps for a 1993 video game.

2: Don't give people who say theyre 95% done second chances just because you want to be a Nice Guy and give them a break + extend your wad a bit.

3: Toss stuff that is holding the set back. Don't bother trying to improve crap you're left with to make it measure up to the rest of the set, it won't be missed.

I think Darken 3: the Quakening is a nice twist on the theme for sure and I'm very glad it most people made it look so damn good. I don't regret the resource choices when all is said and done. A million thanks to Urthar though for taking the palette stuff off my hands, saved a lot of headache.

This just needs to be tested in PRboom+, GLBoom+, ZDoom, Eternity, and the multiplayer ports now. The last thing I'm going to do is see if I can remove any more repalettized stock patches and maybe get new music for the title\intermissions. I'd have liked to include my tower map but I just lost steam at the time: I'll release that as its own thing later maybe with a "Lost Episode" release should the other holdouts ever get back to me.

Edited by Marcaek

Wait isn't this like over a year late now?

SMH sgt marc vi, chaos core seal of approval

lZV9Dx8.png

Alright so map19's item placement got whacked at one point as well so there's another problem.

Palette is still messed up in software mode when in pain or after getting berserk

And dunno if this is intentional or not in 19 :P

doom03.png

Congratulations on getting this finished. I like the new midi for my map, thank you to those involved.

A few glitches I noticed:

Due to the changing in map positions a few maps now have the wrong title.

Palettes need to be generated for the PLAYPAL to fix berserk, etc.

The WAD appears to crash Doom Retro at startup.

I'm not sure what to do about the item\pain flashes, what controls those? I'll mention the Doom Retro thing to the port author.

After I look into that and get some more menu gfx from Jimmy I'll upload the next version, everything else taken care of.

Map/author list? Screenshots? Any relevant info, links to dev threads, short summary for those who didn't follow this trainwreck of a development cycle complete with beyond awful project management that keeps it that way even in this "the finishing" thread?..

You're killing me, Marcaek. Please, at least a fraction of respect for those not belonging to the inner circle.

Once it's done I'll edit the OP with Authors\some screenshots. Dev thread is irrelevant now which is why i made the new one.

-removed snip-

On topic though, the couple of people who need to have edits made are aware of who they are, I'm giving Rayzik a week to make some changes he wanted to do so that applies to anyone else submitting resources (Jimmy\Alfonzo really) then it's finito.

Edited by Marcaek

Okay then, I don't know whether you're already aware of that or not:

- maps 08 & 14 - major noclip bug right from the start that renders them unplayable;

- map 07 - seems to have some notable blockmap issues that affect rocket launcher and monsters' ability to perform ranged attacks, also I think it had a different midi?..

These are basically the reasons why I had to browse through the [also rather poorly organised, let's be honest] dev thread and download these maps manually to be able to play them at all.

On a side note - I know that Pinchy doesn't like me and my best friend, the sharp tongue, yet - for what it's worth - I feel obliged to tell that Darkvault (the aforementioned map07) is probably his best map I ever played, nice work. Also, another reminder of how whackily Quake music sounds in a midi format, though it's obviously not the mapper's fault.

P.S. A humble request - is there any chance to get the latest version of a resource pack separately once this thing is done?

ADDED: Just realized that map13 has the same issues as map07, seemingly less severe but still notable, especially in bigger areas.

Edited by Demonologist

17 hours ago, Demonologist said:

14 - major noclip bug right from the start that renders [it] unplayable;

Can you care to elaborate on this? I have no idea what you're talking about otherwise.

Seems like something happened to the blockmaps in that version? Said issue isn't present in the current build which is coming shortly.

15 hours ago, an_mutt said:

Can you care to elaborate on this? I have no idea what you're talking about otherwise.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about, as I said - I downloaded your map separately and experienced zero issues, so this is (was?) most certainly compilation-related.

Anyway, right from the start I wasn't able to collect anything and could move through some of the walls, the latter could also be partly applied to monsters. I'm not much into technical stuff to be frank, so the only reasonable explanation/intentional illustration of a similar trouble I can think of is the one in tom19.wad map32, excerpt from txt below (might as well be caused by the general positioning of a map on the grid?..):

Also shows a Doom "bug" (?) where you can walk through certain impassible walls if your map takes up 32768 units or more, either south-north or west-east.

Also my mistake using the wrong descriptions re: 07 & 13, I'm pretty certain rebuilding the reject tables and/or nodes is going to solve the problem unless it's taken care of already.

It looks like saving the maps in DB2 after making some changes to the WAD structure caused some of the maps' lumps to be in entirely random places. It's all good now though.

New version https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hncca9qvsfz55l/mayhem16_semifinal1g.wad?dl=1

Given that the last few versions have been tested without problems in PRBoom+ and ZDoom, I'm just sorting out the readme and sending this off to idgames tomorrow.

Edited by Marcaek

Noclipping bug is no more, but the issues in 07 & 13 are still there I'm afraid, take a closer look and you'll see (e.g. the very start of 13 where a revenant can't see the player at point blank range is rather conspicuous in that regard). Seriously, consider rebuilding nodes and reject tables (in case they're actually needed, as the maps don't seem to be resource-demanding) for all four, maybe with a different nodebuilder, that should do the trick.

Just straightup rebuilding nodes broke the maps. Looks like there's some weird behavior on my end with moving map positions in the WAD then saving them in DB2, a bunch of REJECT lumps ended up at a random? position in the WAD. Looks like it's fixed but I'll check some other maps to make sure.

One last thing unless it's too late - what do you think about changing the sky for map17? The default one looks really out of place. I'd say the same about map20 though in there it's not as noticeable. It's pretty much a minor thing though, so there's hardly anything wrong about not wanting to bother with it at this point, heh.

Hello,

Mayhem 16 will be featured today on Thursday Night Survival and of course on this occasion we would like to invite everyone who participated in the project as well as all those who are happy to finally see this wad (almost?) finalized.

The session starts at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT (countdown) and you can expect it to be active with 15+ players for at least around 4 hours.

ZDaemon doesn't support extended nodes or PNGs so we'll be using an additional zdfix to be able to play the wad.

Sorry for the question,  but when a new mayhem will come?

I suppose at June, at this rate, just like mayhem 1500?

I have something, not really 100% sure on it but I'm going to post it tomorrow and we'll suffer the consequences in stride or not heh

Wow man, this wad is just great. People keep on trying to beat those maps on my server and never give up, cause this is so well made. Thank you for this.

But just one thing: change that font. It gets unreadable with some colors (when using newtextcolours).

Mayhem is already submitted to idgames, and it was never intended to be compatible with custom colors. Someone could probably make an optional font replacement on their servers if they want to though.