• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stonedbaroness

Community Co-op Map Project

Lets not screw this up now, ok?

Ok so, Goal of this project?

Make a map, Duh

Construct a Cooperative/Survival Focused map with the freedom of Zandronum's UDMF features.

So why do this?

Well, that is up to personal debate for you. You may say "Hey man, I've been itching to try and make a Co-op based map pack, lets go!" to "You fucked this up already". Where ever you land is fine, and I know I'm not a flawless guy when it comes to explaining what rules for a creation of a megawad or making the simple mistake of forcing the user to use complex doom to test his maps. That's why this megawad won't certainly be needing such restrictions

Are there Rules?

Yes, though only some:

-Each level must have up to 8 Spawns for Cooperative gameplay

-Make your level fun, From hard ass switch hunting to Linear blast away style, Find what your best at making with maps and insert it into your creation.

-Level Detail Doesn't concern me at this point, Just focus on making it FUN

-Any style of maps are welcome, from slaughter map to Narrative driven.

You may use any texture pack that you desire, Just keep it organized and don't add 10 different large texture packs just for your level

-You are allowed to test with any mod you desire just as long as the map is beatable in vanilla

Some info:

IWAD: Doom2

Engine: Zandronum 2.1.2

Format: UDMF (Zandronum)

Limitations?: No Custom weapons or enemies. Weather effects and extra decoration, sure.

Map stuff:

Theres 32 levels, so lets get on with it, shall we?

Maplist:

None Yet

Map31 - Map32 Can be maps strongly based off IWAD maps with lots of new things and more to explore in a level to.

Time to say it now

If you're willing to put the time and effort, go ahead and work away

Please enjoy it and don't stress yourself with the maps. Maps can be a big pain in the ass and the last thing i want this project to be is something stressing the hell out of your mind. 

Edited by UAC-Janitor : Fixed it up

6 hours ago, SArais said:

Coolan. Making a map

Apologies for how i bad I started that other project out, this time i think we can all agree on the great freedom this project provids rather than my failed attempt

making a new thread was certainly not the best course of action friend

i'm interested, but i've already got another map on my hands so i won't be touching this for a little while

also

10 hours ago, UAC-Janitor said:

-Lets not worry about certain enemy types in certain difficulties, you can fix that up later.

what does this mean

50 minutes ago, SArais said:

I don't get why a new thread was necessary, but ok.

39 minutes ago, bonnie said:

i'm interested, but i've already got another map on my hands so i won't be touching this for a little while

also

what does this mean

I thought i had mistakenly burried myself in deep shit and made an especially shitty introduction of the project idea to the community. Is it possible delete threads?

41 minutes ago, bonnie said:

also

what does this mean

Just ignore it, i didn't explain it the best way and I deleted it from the rules. What i basically tried my best to say was dont worry about specific placements for Hurt me plenty, UV, and that snazz. It'll be the same for all difficulties, I hope i made that clear. 

Just a side note, it's fine that you made a new thread, the old one would have permanently had a useless first page.

10 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

same monster count for all difficulties?

Either way count me in.

Also do these maps have to be beatable by 1 person?

Well, beatable by 1 person? Only if you really, REALLY TRIED HARD. Like hiding in corners in those big areas, making sure your health is up to where it should be, predicting your enemy moves correctly, making good use of cover. Make the level segments look like they need more people to combat the situation. Such an example would be as like a broken barricade or window where a player can go and stand, meanwhile 2 go out out of that barricade and open fire to flank the enemy as the guy in the barricade unloads an entire magazine of power.

Don't mean to sound like an ass, but I thought more people would be interested in this project. It seems to deviate from the regular guidelines ith something perhaps more unique, ya know? What evs, its fine, I think it just depends on the person who posts it.

Of course it is. Established reputation is super important for running community projects. People like dependability. Also project uniqueness doesn't really mean people will flock to it.

Never, ever, depend on external help for a project. Be ready to do a majority of it yourself or don't do it at all.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Of course it is. Established reputation is super important for running community projects. People like dependability. Also project uniqueness doesn't really mean people will flock to it.

Never, ever, depend on external help for a project. Be ready to do a majority of it yourself or don't do it at all.

Couldn't have said better. I'll stick to making my own maps for other projects until I become well.. at least a little more recognized and trusted. Ill take whatever 8 maps I had, heavily modify them to fit the project, and get a great move on on it. I'm still quite a noob so maybe this wasn't so bad of a mistake

There is nothing to stop you from doing this yourself. You might consider just doing a small episode instead of reaching  for a high map count instead. Starting small is a good way to kind of "demo" your style, get a gauge on people's responses to your maps, and work from there. A small episode on your own allows a ton of flexibility.

That being said, you can probably just rename the thread, continue to work on it yourself, and if someone joins you/submits a map, that's just extra goodness instead of an expectation or hope. Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Decay said:

There is nothing to stop you from doing this yourself. You might consider just doing a small episode instead of reaching  for a high map count instead. Starting small is a good way to kind of "demo" your style, get a gauge on people's responses to your maps, and work from there. A small episode on your own allows a ton of flexibility.

That being said, you can probably just rename the thread, continue to work on it yourself, and if someone joins you/submits a map, that's just extra goodness instead of an expectation or hope. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice! I was actually considering just making a Demo after viewing so forums here and there. I'll try my best to start working on it ASAP. Thanks again for your help!

All of decay's words said, I mostly am applying to multiple project for expertise gaining reasons, so i'll lend a hand here too if you so desire.