Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Question about lights

Question

I'm so curious about those hacky moving light tricks like I saw them in Toilet of the gods or Saturnine Chapel. How to make lights like these? For example, I drew two boxes with pointers,because it's hard for me to explain what I want here. 

hacky lights.png

9 answers to this question

The maps you're looking at were most likely using a neat little Boom trick that utilizes voodoo dolls on scrolling floors while exploiting an idiosyncrasy of the sector special 8 (Light Glow) behavior.

When you use the "raise brightness to 255" line action on a sector that has the Light Glow special applied, the sector brightness will briefly become 255 before the glow behavior causes it to gradually fade back down to its originally-set level. The moving-light effect is created by splitting the area into several differently-tagged sectors, putting the glow special on all of them, and then having a voodoo doll on an endless conveyor loop triggering a series of "raise brightness to 255" walkover specials, one for each tag.

9 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

The maps you're looking at were most likely using a neat little Boom trick that utilizes voodoo dolls on scrolling floors while exploiting an idiosyncrasy of the sector special 8 (Light Glow) behavior.

When you use the "raise brightness to 255" line action on a sector that has the Light Glow special applied, the sector brightness will briefly become 255 before the glow behavior causes it to gradually fade back down to its originally-set level. The moving-light effect is created by splitting the area into several differently-tagged sectors, putting the glow special on all of them, and then having a voodoo doll on an endless conveyor loop triggering a series of "raise brightness to 255" walkover specials, one for each tag.

After looking at Saturnine Chapel in an editor, it turns out that this is the case. First time I noticed this was even a thing was way back when I played Memento Mori 2 on map 20.

If you mean "up and down" like that the same sector should have different brightnesses at different Z heights, that's impossible with Boom features. You can only have several sectors of different floor heights behind each other like stairs, and manipulate the brightness of each one in the same way as already mentioned, to achieve an effect that seems vertical due to the different floor heights, but is actually horizontal.

If you mean brighter and dimmer, that's the Glow effect mentioned earlier. I use it all the time for teleport pads and to highlight switches.

Choose the Glow effect for the sector (I think it is 8).

Set that sectors light level to what you want its brightest light to be.

The sector will go smoothly back and forth between its own brightness and that of the darkest sector next to it. How long it takes per cycle depends on how far apart the brightness levels are.

If you want the glowing sector to go darker than the sectors next to it, make a sector off-map and join it to the glowing sector, and then make a darker sector next to the off-map part of the now-two-part sector.

6 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

I'm so curious about those hacky moving light tricks like I saw them in Toilet of the gods or Saturnine Chapel. How to make lights like these? For example, I drew two boxes with pointers,because it's hard for me to explain what I want here. 

hacky lights.png

Could be that those lights are tagged to do a path follower+Thing_SetGoal action...I think.

Well,those maps are in boom format. I think in udmf would be more easier,but boom format way is more interesting. 

Ah, now that's different. I don't know much about the special actions in Boom :(

I've tested this by myself and it worked. But what about lights which goes up and down like breathing? Same solution or I need change something?