Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Bands that did great covers of classic tunes

Often times, covers are overlooked or unheard.  But I've heard some killer covers that I think deserve some attention, and I'm sure you have, too.  So let's hear them.  Share a cover version of some of your favorite songs.  I'll start us off with a cover of Black Sabbath's "Into The Void", as performed by Orange Goblin.  I love the vocals here.

Original:

Cover:

One of those rare examples where the cover blows the original out of the water. Both songs are old, but the cover is a nice punchy upgrade I think. Groovy instrumental jam that was induced as a CD bonus track to "Pawn Hearts". Apparently it was used as a radio introduction in the early 70's as well, replacing the original George Martin version.

Rotten Sound's album Napalm is an amazing tribute to Napalm Death in their own style. Its a short album but goddamn is it good.

@RUSH: Van der Graaf Generator, uh oh.

Anyway, here's what I think is the best of the best: Vivaldi by Canarios. If you survive the cacophonic intro, be ready for +1 hour of delight. The guitars may resemble Oldfield or Hackett at times, the keyboards - Moraz, but the whole think is unlike anything.

'Refused' covering "Voodoo people" by 'the prodigy':

Pendulum *covering* Voodoo people:

The original version:

@Tracer, I've seen "orange goblin" live, when they were the warm-up band for "saint vitus". Good times indeed.

A few that instantly come to mind:

(Originally by the Allman Brothers)

(Originally by Eurythmics)

(Originally by NIN)

4 minutes ago, vdgg said:

@RUSH: Van der Graaf Generator, uh oh.

Anyway, here's what I think is the best of the best: Vivaldi by Canarios. If you survive the cacophonic intro, be ready for +1 hour of delight. The guitars may resemble Oldfield or Hackett at times, the keyboards - Moraz, but the whole think is unlike anything.

So...this is a cover?

In case I didn't make myself clear, it is a heavily expanded "cover" of Four Seasons by Vivaldi. Why not give it a listen?

43 minutes ago, vdgg said:

Anyway, here's what I think is the best of the best: Vivaldi by Canarios.

Woah, weird album. Some parts remind me of Magma, other parts remind me of a Sega Genesis soundtrack. Pretty unique prog record. Though of course most early video game music (stuff from the 80's and early 90's) was largely inspired from progressive rock in the first place. And you can hear elements of that in this release, when it doesn't sound like a space church sermon anyway.

I remember this cover of a classic Beatles song blowing me away when I first heard it:

How could I forget?  Probably the most talented collection of punk musicians in any band.. for whatever that's worth.

Tainted Love by Coil

(Originally by Gloria Jones)

Halfway Up the Stairway of Mucus by Venetian Snares & Speedranch

(Original is Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin)

Dunno if the second qualifies as a "cover," but it's definitely great. ;)

There's a cover compilation album called Tribute to Sonata Arctica. 

There's a trashcore band called Xeno, they really did a good job covering Wildfire part 1 on their own way. However, my favorite is Van Canto cover of Victoria's Secret. The rest of the album feels meh. 

Re: the Umbrella cover above: I have always preferred this umbrella-related song, with a cover that sounds remarkably like the original:

... and another really cute cover:

Crippled Black Phoenix doing a classic Journey song... the first time I heard it was on a live gig with no introduction. Magical experience!