Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elderdragonbrasil

Sharing my first and new project for a Megawad

I am working in a Megawad project for Doom 2. To make a good job, I think the most important thing is to have people testing it. :D

I know, I know, the first map is quite simple compared to the others, but I prefer to do all the maps first, then, I'll be doing the necessary to correct. Menu, new songs and specific stuff, I'll work only after finish the 32 maps first. I'll use your opinions to correct and make this work better.

EDIT: Just to clarify: Map 1 to 3 are complete. Map 4 is only 30% done, so map 4 has no exit and many parts are in actual work. Map 4 is my tribute to Hell Ground. I know, I know, it is not a vanilla feel, but I love HG, and I need to give that reference :)
I really recommend GZdoom for the best experience on this work.
Another important thing: All the maps are done to work with pistol start and to be possible to do a UV/Max.

Link for the Beta: (Any problem with the download? Please, say!)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7etztkufkkhpntd/Elderbeta.wad?dl=0

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-22-46-40.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-23-36-24.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-25-29-21.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-26-25-46.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-26-54-55.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-27-00-55.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-27-31-24.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-28-03-30.jpg

gzdoom 2017-04-21 23-28-12-60.jpg

Edited by elderdragonbrasil

Couple thoughts:

Seems like this could be boom / or limit removing if you handled the sky differently.

Map 1 has a very classic Doom feel but man you like to throw in the #s.  I'm bad at Doom and found it rough going.  Not complaining mind you, it's a different approach and I mostly enjoyed it here.   Basically a classic map except when someone else might have used 5 monsters you used 15.

Map 2 was probably the best - I thought you did a great job with the spectres.

Map 3 has some missing textures, and is uh... hard to find a foothold.  Kind of cool though.

Map 4 is broken (can lock yourself into the room with the punchy demons / the hallways afterwards) but it also seems like it's unfinished (killed 100%, no exit?), so that might make sense.   This was definitely the weirdest map.  The music really fit the bill here.  I assume you're going to fill up the rooms, but I honestly kind of liked the weird empty rooms.  Reminds me of 90s maps in a good way.

You had a couple real fuck you traps in terms of monster density, but that's probably ok.  Less ok were the instances where you threw a whole bunch of meat into situations where there wasn't really any danger (a couple times, but the most obvious is the hell knight trap in Map 4).

Anyway I enjoyed it.

I just played it, but I wasn't looking for bugs or anything.I enjoyed it very much, the gameplay was fine for me, plus the maps are pleasant to the for me.I look forward to when it's finished.Good luck! :D Almost forgot....played this in GZDoom, worked great!

I think these brown STAR* textures can give a bad first impression, like "omg this guy just used the default Doom Builder choice, must be a noob then". They are kinda dangerous like that.

1 hour ago, Memfis said:

I think these brown STAR* textures can give a bad first impression, like "omg this guy just used the default Doom Builder choice, must be a noob then". They are kinda dangerous like that.

I'm pretty sure as long as it fits the theme of a tech base as shown in the first two screenshots; it doesn't really matter if it's used or not.

11 hours ago, Memfis said:

Flats that don't match textures and you pick out the STARTAN walls? You're slipping Memfis ;p

Aside from the clashing flat/textures, the screenies look good for a beginner! Keep on mapping :)

But don't set your hopes too high for a one-man 32-map megawad; just map as it makes you happy and make small, achievable goals that will keep you motivated. Good luck!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137421326 = my playthrough of your 4-map beta.

The maps seemed to get better as they went on, although I found your use of monsters a bit baffling at times; the HK's in particular. Some good moments throughout the levels, but also some ammo sink spots with no real threat involved (the Pinky "maze", some of the HK/Baron clusters) as well.

Map 4 doesn't seem finished, and reminded me a bit of Hell Ground.

I sense some potential from this, but don't feel obliged to make a full 32-map megawad as a beginner; I've seen other newbie mappers burn out attempting to do the same thing.

Also some more details about what kind of megawad you want to make would be nice also; some people in my Twitch chat didn't appreciate the "transition" from the vanilla stylings of maps 1-3 to map 4's more gothic style.

17 hours ago, 7hm said:

Couple thoughts:

Seems like this could be boom / or limit removing if you handled the sky differently.

Map 1 has a very classic Doom feel but man you like to throw in the #s.  I'm bad at Doom and found it rough going.  Not complaining mind you, it's a different approach and I mostly enjoyed it here.   Basically a classic map except when someone else might have used 5 monsters you used 15.

Map 2 was probably the best - I thought you did a great job with the spectres.

Map 3 has some missing textures, and is uh... hard to find a foothold.  Kind of cool though.

Map 4 is broken (can lock yourself into the room with the punchy demons / the hallways afterwards) but it also seems like it's unfinished (killed 100%, no exit?), so that might make sense.   This was definitely the weirdest map.  The music really fit the bill here.  I assume you're going to fill up the rooms, but I honestly kind of liked the weird empty rooms.  Reminds me of 90s maps in a good way.

You had a couple real fuck you traps in terms of monster density, but that's probably ok.  Less ok were the instances where you threw a whole bunch of meat into situations where there wasn't really any danger (a couple times, but the most obvious is the hell knight trap in Map 4).

Anyway I enjoyed it.

Hi, people, I will try to answer everybody

About monster placement, I will check if a can reduce a little in the first map.

About Map 4, this map is not complete yet. Map 3 I'll look the missing textures to know what I have done wrong. 
Empty rooms would be a interesting thing, I'll put some in this fourth map.

About the part of the meat, if you can point me the parts, I'll try to fix it :)

Other thing I have to point to everybody: I suggest to play it on Zdoom or GZdoom, because, I am working on ZDoom (Doom in Hexen). 

@grouchbag Thanks, for the comment!

@Fonze I would appreciate if you point me out the flats, for me to check. About the Megawad mission, I agree with you, but I have a good idea. I'll take the first 5 maps and release it as a Five-map Wad, like an achievement. Then, I'll continue the Megawad project, using this 5 maps as the first five maps, but change some feature of them.

@Memfis I confess, I felt the same the first time I've started this map "oh, I'll use this texture? But that is so n00b?" But then I thought "Well, but this is my first map, and I am Doom Builder n00b, so let's go", lol

19 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/137421326 = my playthrough of your 4-map beta.

The maps seemed to get better as they went on, although I found your use of monsters a bit baffling at times; the HK's in particular. Some good moments throughout the levels, but also some ammo sink spots with no real threat involved (the Pinky "maze", some of the HK/Baron clusters) as well.

Map 4 doesn't seem finished, and reminded me a bit of Hell Ground.

I sense some potential from this, but don't feel obliged to make a full 32-map megawad as a beginner; I've seen other newbie mappers burn out attempting to do the same thing.

Also some more details about what kind of megawad you want to make would be nice also; some people in my Twitch chat didn't appreciate the "transition" from the vanilla stylings of maps 1-3 to map 4's more gothic style.

Oh, I will watch now! Your feedback is very important! As I commented before, I am thinking about doing a 5map release, then continue to work in the megawad.