Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you miss the old Doomworld?

I'm fine with the new forum software. works nicely on my phone (the tablet form still waiting on some fixes though), and overall does the job well enough. I'm fairly indifferent about likes, though I can see why people are fine with the system. I am part of the people who is a little sad PH wasn't archived, but someone did sort of slyly admit to archiving it, and I wonder if they're going to put it up somewhere ever. Aside from PH, the only things I miss are some small aspects about the old forum, like the header images (the default set is still available if you go to the older parts of the site, like the cacowards, dunno about the doom 3 or other sets though) and the default avatars before they got mangled to fit the new avatar system. I wonder if a userscript could re-randomize the header image in the meantime...

Overall, I like the new better than the old. I like the ability to embed quotes, pictures, and videos, and I like the notification system. The likes and reputation seem like armor bonuses -- they don't add much, they don't detract anything, so might as well keep them.

True confession: I never visited the old post hell. :-o So can't say I miss it.

Well I'm kinda happy I was here soon enough to experience the Old Doomworld Site for over a year ^^ But I think everything has to go with time so I think it's a good change :) But yeah like everyone else i miss Post Hell... There were some funny threads ^^ hopefully it will come back

Yes.

Answer kept short and simple in order to annoy Graf Zahl. You're welcome, Graf!

The new forums are easier to do things with them (that is when you get the hang of them). At first I found it hard to accept the change (although I was at the old forums for a very small period of time), but as time passed I loved the new forums more and more.

Not really. I might've been grumpy at first, but there's no doubt that it was a huge undertaking, and that it was necessary overall. But I don't know about this alleged self-esteem boost. It seems that the more thought I put into a post, the lesser its chance to be liekd.

The opposite is also true.

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

True confession: I never visited the old post hell. :-o So can't say I miss it.

I only once entered Post Hell and I didn't know I could visit it if I wanted to. I thought it was like Breaking the Law (entering forbidden area to be more precise) to see that part of the forums and that it was supposed to be only for the damned or something. Also, I probably saw some political or racist posts and a guy sending his tits (basically his chest), so I closed it immediately, although I laughed a lot that day.

5 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I only once entered Post Hell and I didn't know I could visit it if I wanted to. I thought it was like Breaking the Law (entering forbidden area to be more precise) to see that part of the forums and that it was supposed to be only for the damned or something. Also, I probably saw some political or racist posts and a guy sending his tits (basically his chest), so I closed it immediately, although I laughed a lot that day.

Yeah, I am not inclined to think I was missing out on anything. :-P

But dem bones and titiezzzzzzzzzzzzzz. How come you don't want to see them ? (ok it was a bit disgusting to be honest, seeing that in a forum)  :D

2 hours ago, Memfis said:

The only thing I haven't managed to block is that highlight rectangle around popular posts. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Install a plugin for your browser of choice that allows you to include your own CSS Stylesheet. Then add this style:

.ipsComment:not( .ipsModerated ):not( .ipsComment_selected ).ipsBox.ipsComment_popular {
    border: 0;
}

Edited by Dragonfly : Wrapped code in code block

i think this forum is using space slightly less well in some ways, it has that modern megamargin feel... but I think it's a good upgrade all the same. it's useful being able to show virtual appreciation posts that often go unloved, especially in the case of the demos section, where nothing I post is really salient or helpful cos all I wanna say is congrats anyway

Do you miss the old Doomworld?

Me: I don't know. Got registered for about a month :)

I miss being able to post off of my teribad old phone and being able to view the site on my relic of a laptop without the threat of a nuclear meltdown blast but other than that it is not that bad.

I guess since this is on topic, having seen the like/rep stuff in practice, I'm half-and-half on it. Seeing Likes on a post is pretty cool, but I'm not fond of the numeric reputation that gets displayed in everyone's profiles. Folks who post small amounts of awesome content (e.g. Ed and certain other high-profile mappers) are going to be "rated" disproportionally lower than folks who make a lot of posts. May as well show postcount.

Aside from that, all my present complaints are style things, which are conveniently on my list of things to solve. Whoopee! :P

While I will acknowledge that not all some of the new features are nice (I love the new notification system, the user tagging, and messaging system), I do miss the nostalgic charm of the old site.

I like the new Doomworld. It's modern, but still very light. It's not bloated to hell with unnecessary javascript and doesn't require cookies from millions of other sites in order to work, which is great.

I miss fast page loading times, non-oversized text, selectable text (I can't select any text on the forum now), the list of threads currently being viewed by others, regular additions to News on the front page, Post Hell (as an archive of bad posts, not so much for the animations and song), fun hacks like *hits blunt* added to the beginning of somebody's posts or myself being temporarily forbidden access to all forums except Editing and Speed Demos after saying that those are the only good forums, the "number of posts per day" statistic, the lack of "reputation points", exact date and time noted in every post (rather than "X minutes/hours ago"), and the date format from before June 2015.

Really this change was long overdue. I feel that the reason some might find it a big leap is mainly due to the longevity of the old software. We were all accustomed to it for so long that now something new is introduced it almost seems a little intimidating... At first.

That being said, coming to grips with it, the new forum looks great. Nice features, nice appearance, it's really not bad at all. The only issue i personally have is the slow speed, but i'm confident that this issue won't last.

8 minutes ago, scifista42 said:

exact date and time noted in every post (rather than "X minutes/hours ago")

hint: hover your mouse above the "x hours ago"

I like the new forum, as it has some features that I like. But I do miss the old forums too, as I known it for about 6 years before it went away. I also miss Post Hell, even if it was full of crappy posts.

I'm starting to like the new forum software; the main thing I miss is Newstuff Chronicles being on the front page.   Not sure where it is now.

6 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

The reputation system in particular seems dumb because it tends to hand out points for exactly the wrong thing (i.e. I cannot shake off the feeling that a certain kind of pointless posts is the best way to up one's score. Case in point: See 5 posts above this one!)

I disagree, the people you'll see with the most points will tend to be people releasing content in some form or another, whether it be videos, screenshots, midis or maps, these people tend to have the most likes.

I dig the new doomworld, I still come here more than any other website.

I like the new forum much better. It feels fresh with and the new features were long overdue, it is easier to read and most importantly smart phone friendly in that I don't have to use two fingers to zoom to even be able to navigate the tiny tiny interface.