Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Do you miss the old Doomworld?

I kinda forgot about the old site. This new site has a bunch of cool features and it looks cool and up to date, so there's that.

As much as I want to keep fixing and adding stuff, I'm sort of waiting for Xaser's theme update so I don't have to redo everything later, so bother him about it!!

3 hours ago, Xaser said:

I guess since this is on topic, having seen the like/rep stuff in practice, I'm half-and-half on it. Seeing Likes on a post is pretty cool, but I'm not fond of the numeric reputation that gets displayed in everyone's profiles. Folks who post small amounts of awesome content (e.g. Ed and certain other high-profile mappers) are going to be "rated" disproportionally lower than folks who make a lot of posts. May as well show postcount.

Aside from that, all my present complaints are style things, which are conveniently on my list of things to solve. Whoopee! :P

I'm not sure I agree. I was at odds with the rep system at first myself, but little green internet points are a good way to incentivize people to post higher quality content overall.

I think that rep could be better represented as: the amount of people that have liked a post you've made, or ... that have liked x amounts of posts you've made, or the amount of posts you've made that have accrued x amounts of likes. Possibly could use /idgames ratings to factor in some bonus points or something?

6 hours ago, Memfis said:

Here are some useful AdBlock rules for the new forum. I don't remember what each of them does exactly, but basically everything related to reputation and likes is completely removed. "This is a popular post" note is hidden too. The only thing I haven't managed to block is that highlight rectangle around popular posts. If you have any ideas please let me know.

thanks for these, got one for avatars? disabling them individually is tedious :p

16 minutes ago, Fonze said:

I think that rep could be better represented as: the amount of people that have liked a post you've made, or ... that have liked x amounts of posts you've made, or the amount of posts you've made that have accrued x amounts of likes. Possibly could use /idgames ratings to factor in some bonus points or something?

I think the current setup is perfect: simple, not particularly serious, no pretense of being a type of advanced analytic. (I have to admit I winced when I read '/idgames ratings', which I'm sure you in particular would find amusing. :D) In the interest of forum page cleanliness, it could be relegated to the profile view, however, since you can see it by hovering over a username anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

thanks for these, got one for avatars? disabling them individually is tedious :p

Picturing you frantically adblocking every avatar you come across now. 

I think the spacing between new lines in a paragraph needs to be lessened. Posts take up a lot more real-estate (screenspace, time) than they used to.

6 hours ago, Uncle 80 said:

I don't give a frag about likes, reputation and whatnot, but this new forum is easier to read in my opinion (and therefore an improvement). Also, I'm "surfing" at home, so no battery problems. And it's waaay easier with videos and such now, so to sum it up: Great job!!

pretty much this. it's easier to read, this counts. especially on the phone (i like reading a bit on this site when i'm in bed, or too tired to start my pc and play). the bigger avatars, the better formatted text and the notifications make it easier to follow discussions. the text was tiny on my cellphone with the old forum, or, when i was reading elaborate posts on the pc, the text went over the full width of my 27" monitor, and i found reading this way tiring. a friend even told me once that he doesn't like doomworld because its "90s look" makes the site appear confusing to him. so, there has been a progress.  the downside, of course, is that the simpler software was faster, but i think a second of  loading time is tolerable, especially in exchange for more ease of use.

Yes I do :-( Its like old Doomworld died and now we just put up with its son Doomworld Jr wearing its dad's power armor.

7 hours ago, Memfis said:

Here are some useful AdBlock rules for the new forum. I don't remember what each of them does exactly, but basically everything related to reputation and likes is completely removed. "This is a popular post" note is hidden too. The only thing I haven't managed to block is that highlight rectangle around popular posts. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks for making these, it's much better now. Does the "report post" button do actually something? Otherwise it's another thing that could be removed.

44 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

Hey, What's wrong with avatars?

48 minutes ago, Ribbiks said:

Similar to my previous post in this thread, find a plugin for your browser of choice that allows for CSS injection. Then add this code:

.ipsUserPhoto_large img {
    display: none;
}

2 hours ago, scifista42 said:

Selectable text: I can't select any text on the forum now.

571b6958bcf32f2934e7d8a084448ab3.png

That sounds like an issue exclusive to your computer/device.

15 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

which I'm sure you in particular would find amusing

Yeah might as well take this opportunity to mention that the 'number of ratings' numbers are being inaccurately displayed, possibly stars too from non-reviewed ratings over at the former /idgames, but at the same time I'm also not sure how accurate this statement is, which is why I haven't said anything about it thus far. But looking at Quester's Fest I see it has no stars here with "8 reviews," yet somebody rated/non-reviewed it 4 stars on the old /idgames when it came out (and it sits over there now at 2 stars, 2 ratings). Just a weird, minor inconsistency. Kinda humorous.

The old design renember me the 90's internet, I find the new a little generic, excluding this, i love the notifications.

Took me a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind the new Doomworld layout. I don't browse Doomworld on my mobile so not fussed about that bit. The notifications bell for people quoting you in a thread is quite nice.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Similar to my previous post in this thread, find a plugin for your browser of choice that allows for CSS injection. Then add this code:

.ipsUserPhoto_large img {
    display: none;
}

thanks! adding doomworld.com##.ipsUserPhoto_large to the adblock filter did the trick.

2 hours ago, Marnetstapler said:

I'm not sure I agree. I was at odds with the rep system at first myself, but little green internet points are a good way to incentivize people to post higher quality content overall.

i don't know. it seems like a lot of posts with a disproportionately high amount of likes are tied to ones that are either funny or stating the obvious, which feels like it incentives posting funny zingers over actual quality content.

I kind of like it when forums don't have likes or a reputation system, but that ding ding ding of approval in the brain is hard to argue with.

The switch here has been similar to others I've followed in the past, where you get a gigaton more features but lose some of the old visual charm. Looking forward to whatever polish Xaser comes up with.

9 hours ago, rdwpa said:

(I had actually expected to dislike the 'likes', but that was because my primary experience with it beforehand was Reddit.)

I remember your post about not wanting to participate in a community with a "like" feature, but now you're farming reputation like Walter was farming post count. :P

25 minutes ago, Viscra Maelstrom said:

i don't know. it seems like a lot of posts with a disproportionately high amount of likes are tied to ones that are either funny or stating the obvious, which feels like it incentives posting funny zingers over actual quality content.

It goes both ways really.

Rep points are generally out of the posters control.

9 hours ago, Memfis said:

doomworld.com##.ipsLikeRep.ipsPos_right.ipsResponsive_noFloat
doomworld.com##.ipsType_medium.ipsResponsive_hidePhone
doomworld.com##.cProfileRepScore.ipsPad_half.cProfileRepScore_positive
doomworld.com##.ipsLikeRep
doomworld.com##.ipsRating_collective
doomworld.com##.ipsList_inline.ipsClearfix.ipsRating.ipsRating_large
doomworld.com##.ipsRepBadge.ipsRepBadge_positive
doomworld.com##.ipsComment_popularFlag

Thanks. For great justice, I "liked" your post, even though you won't see that. :p

It's disconcerting to find myself agreeing with Graf Zahl, but there you go. I miss some of the things that have gone, find the new features of no interest (and have already adblocked many of them), and some of the basic functionality is less, well, functional than it used to be. If I am posting anything at all complex, I'll now compose it wholly in Notepad before pasting it into the reply box, as it seems too aggravating/broken otherwise.

Edited by Grazza

22 minutes ago, Spectre01 said:

I remember your post about not wanting to participate in a community with a "like" feature, but now you're farming reputation like Walter was farming post count. :P

Most of my posts are (still) W&M feedback, DWMC stuff, mapping advice, 'Doom theory', and speed demos, which is all really inefficient for that, and I don't really have any interest in changing what I post just for more likes. But yeah that I still participate is pretty strong support of 'don't knock it until you try it'. :P 

Edited by rdwpa

I remember when someone obviously well-intentioned decided to add a WYSIWYG editor to the official internal forum of a small local ISP (long since absorbed into a bigger ISP) I was using at the time.

An official forum of a local ISP. Pretty much a gathering place for all kinds of noobs, children, and soccer mums. Somewhat broken WYSIWYG editor. What could've possibly gone wrong??

Well, aside[/b] from half the forum looking[/i][/i] like this ever[/size] since.

This reminds me to somewhat appreciate what we have here. Although there was one thing they did right - while they made the new editor the default one, it wasn't mandatory.

I liked the old forum. It started to look retro because it was old, but pages loaded much faster. I didn't like the new one at first because there were too much bugs, but Linguicia did a good job at fixing them. Now the experience is much better. I feel mixed about "likes" though. I liked that the old didn't have them so it would be different from social media sites, but I also like to tell people that I like what they posted. Posts shouldn't be a popularity contest. Also I have deactivated followers, because I don't like that people can track every of my actions. I miss Post Hell, it's really sad that we can't access it anymore. I want to see the nostalgic .gif "If you see this | you are in hell!" and also what stupid things people have to say. Some threads were funny. 

I don't really like the whole feature of "liking a post". That's one thing that I've never understood about social media. I've never cared or payed attention to who likes what, and I've never "liked" anything on any social media. It just seems pointless. I don't care about what anybody else likes, nor should anybody care what posts I like.