Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Slimz

Whats your favorite monster on Doom?

Arachnotrons are cool. It's nice having an enemy that resembles the Mastermind with a more fair form of attack. Plus its wittle awms awe coot.

Doom: Probably the cacodemon. These things used to terrify me when I was little, to the point I would not play any map I knew had cacodemons. But the Internet has turned them into cute little critters, for better or for worse. Now I can't help but love them. And probably the baron of Hell, too. Their surprise appearance at the end of Episode 1 was great. And I liked how they appeared rarely in the following episodes, then you get to Tower of Babel and see them strung up on the walls. The way they were used to reveal that even bigger enemies were lurking was neat.

Doom 2: I guess the pain elemental. I like its gimmick, and I guess giant killer ball enemies are my favorite. But just as I liked the baron of Hell, I also like the hell knight. Always liked their design and their cries.

My most favourite monster is the Spider Mastermind. I like it because it is mostly actually more helpful than harmful.

It is very good at causing lot of infighting - it is big, so either it gets very easliy hit by other monster's projectiles, or oppositely, its chaingun is very likely to hit some other monster. Once it happens, the Spider Mastermind can clear many of the monsters in the area, sometimes it even helps with killing a Cyberdemon. Furthermore, during the monsters fight, the Mastermind eventually gets killed, so I do not need to spend a single bullet to kill him.

It is also not any threat for me on its own - it is very big and walks very slowly, so it is extremely clumsy, and if I dodge behind walls, it even does not have any chance to fire from its chaingun. This way I can kill him with a number of shots from SSG without being harmed at all.

Edit: Not to forget infighting between more Masterminds.

Edited by Hisymak

8 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Arachnotrons are cool. It's nice having an enemy that resembles the Mastermind with a more fair form of attack. Plus its wittle awms awe coot.

Yeah, I like how they shooting plasmas...

My favorites are arch-viles. They present two means of threat, both of which are completely orthogonal to all other threats in the game. A simple fight can be made complicated by the presence of an arch-vile, and the presence of a second one complicates the fight again my nearly the same margin. The same cannot be said of nearly any other monster.

Just now, 42PercentHealth said:

My favorites are arch-viles. They present two means of threat, both of which are completely orthogonal to all other threats in the game. A simple fight can be made complicated by the presence of an arch-vile, and the presence of a second one complicates the fight again my nearly the same margin. The same cannot be said of nearly any other monster.

and heres many fucking terry wads of arch viles.

1 minute ago, Slimz said:

and heres many f***ing terry wads of arch viles.

Yeah, they can be overdone to a degree that is unfair. I played Resurgence, and the last episode was quite fond of releasing arch-vile hordes into battlefields where you just left 200 corpses. Got a bit old.

I love all the zombies. They give you an idea of what the overrun, hellish bases used to look like when they were still soldiers. They also give me the illusion of 'putting them out of their misery' whenever I kill them. Or that's just me trying to justify murdering all of them :p

My favorite one is the caco. Because one, it's iconic and two, I found this particular monster balanced imo. In groups are menacing but due to their floating nature, you can create some distance with any weapons.

Cacodemon for sure, it's red, it's fluffy, it's funny, it floats, it's cute. Plus it can beat my most hated monster, the revenant. 

I also like the arachnotron and the mastermind, they for sure are my favourites to watch when fighting other enemies. 

This little fella
Cyberdemon-Doom-video-game-a.jpg

I mean, of all the monsters he's the most iconic, and it represents perfectly the "Demons + technology" aspect of doom.

35 minutes ago, Pegg said:

D'sparil and his wizards.

That's not Doom, though I do agree that D'Sparil is a good boss.

As for Doom, I think the cacodemon. Technically, it's basically a floating hell knight in terms of behavior, but the fact that it does float gives it a lot more possibilities than the typical ground enemy. You could be fighting some imps near a window, but you don't see the cacodemon sneaking in through the window until it starts pelting you with fireballs. Or they could even float in through a hole the ceiling (pulling that off in Cacophony, which was designed to be limit-removing compatible, was a lot harder than it sounds).

I thought I have answered a similar thread a long time ago, but whatever.

My favourite monster in Doom is the Hell Knight. I find him balanced, well designed (mostly in the newer games, though I also prefer grey from pink as a colour, unlike Barons), fun to fight against and I love his death sounds and animations. I can't stand the Barons, who are bullet sponges and waste my precious ammo. 

Plus the Hell Knight is my icon if you couldn't already guess.

My second favourite is the Arch-vile, because he is an evil healer. He does good and bad at the same time. Good for the demons that are resurrected, good for Doomguy, if he wants to fight more monsters and bad for Doomguy, because it depends on the demons that are resurrected. Also he thinks that he does only good (his voice is a little girl's <<WHYYYY?>>), which makes him a very misunderstood demon and he gets blasted everytime (poor Arch-vile). Finally, he is cool with his flaming attack and his great speed. Too bad I didn't see him so much in Doom 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but he was nowhere to be found on UV difficulty.

6 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

Too bad I didn't see him so much in Doom 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but he was nowhere to be found on UV difficulty.

The arch-vile had many appearances in Doom 2, starting with map 11. Someone who's more familiar with the base game can probably list all of them.

He was placed very rarely -as he is supposed to be. The entire Iwad has less than 20 archviles. This doesn't count the icon of sin. TNT has more viles and Plutonia has a ridiculous number of them. 

21 minutes ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I thought I have answered a similar thread a long time ago, but whatever.

My favourite monster in Doom is the Hell Knight. I find him balanced, well designed (mostly in the newer games, though I also prefer grey from pink as a colour, unlike Barons), fun to fight against and I love his death sounds and animations. I can't stand the Barons, who are bullet sponges and waste my precious ammo. 

Plus the Hell Knight is my icon if you couldn't already guess.

My second favourite is the Arch-vile, because he is an evil healer. He does good and bad at the same time. Good for the demons that are resurrected, good for Doomguy, if he wants to fight more monsters and bad for Doomguy, because it depends on the demons that are resurrected. Also he thinks that he does only good (his voice is a little girl's <<WHYYYY?>>), which makes him a very misunderstood demon and he gets blasted everytime (poor Arch-vile). Finally, he is cool with his flaming attack and his great speed. Too bad I didn't see him so much in Doom 2. Correct me if I am wrong, but he was nowhere to be found on UV difficulty.

I think the archvile is a she, if it has a gender, at least based on the sounds. :)

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

1440394388925.png

You'd like this mod.

Pinkies! Naw seriously, I just love making some wide maps with houses and barricades and whatever, and then stack hordes of these guys on the end of the maps and then putting some friendly marines and having a zombie-shootfest.

Usually meeting these guys in other maps either have you falling back or l33tpunch1n6 them around. Their encounters can be considered fully melee if players wish to engage some fisticuffs. Not too many monsters go full melee (sans lost souls), as others either don't bother with melee or just swing their claws when close. Pinkies have balls, they rush, route, and surround the player at every chance. Not to mention they are the closest thing to classic zombies this game didn't have till Doom 3, as I often draw them in fan-art as hungry dog-like beasts who want to sink their teeth in the nearest warm flesh when provided. Often their encounters in drawings would have Doomguy rolling around and wrestling with the damn thing, even when armed with a chainsaw.

I would like to put Lost Souls as my second favorite if they didn't have so much health in the first place and if they could get a bit of a damage buff. Art-&-gameplay-wise I consider them "living bullet" type of enemies. But two shotgun shells to take one down is just too ridiculous. How tf can I get to the pain elemental unless I can chainsaw my way in and get rekt by these assholes. Usually mappers hide them around the player's sight so that they could spawn multiple lost souls in without the players looking or place them in long tight corridors where getting to the pain elemental is a challenge. Pain elementals alone aren't a bother if the people didn't insist to put a helluva other critters next to them. Just a waste of precious ammo...

Anyways, pinkies are the coolest for me.