Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drygnfyre

Do you like mods that add more weapons?

I do, for the most part. But sometimes, there are so many weapons that get added I have trouble figuring out what makes them unique and/or how they are best utilized.

Maybe 1-10 extra weapons, sure. But more than 10 is ridiculous. I like things simple and straight to the point. Last thing I want are variations of shotguns, chainguns, pistols, etc.

Most of the stuff I play would either get ruined by custom weapon mods (making things too easy), or utterly shit on those (making the mod utterly useless). Funnily enough, both these points apply to brutal doom. Use brutal doom on the classic iWADs, and you're in for a whole lot of yawning, use brutal doom on things like deus vult 2, newgothic movent etc, and you might as well not use weapons at all when things run really hot.

Thing is, if there's a weapon mod that comes with maps designed for it, it's fine, and some stuff like DeXiaZ's one-punch mod is also fun at times. When it comes to playing maps that were designed to be played with the basic set of weaponry, the least bit of courtesy is to play those the intended way at least once, so you get a feel for what the mapper was about when he designed the encounters.

Yes: If they are fun to use, unique and inventive, and balanced. However, certain mods like Russian overkill, Guncaster, and a few others, offer overpowered weapons, and are still fun to use, because that is what it is going for, and they work well if slaughter wads. Having said that, some weapon mods and weapons themselves suffer from something I like to call "Weapon Mod Syndrome". Where there is no point to adding a certain weapon, it isn't unique, doesn't change the gameplay from vanilla doom, and is just redundant, they have no point being added. Some mods that I can name such as Weapons of Saturn, Faspons, Flakes Doom minus the alt-fires. 

A simple no. I wouldn't dare replace the original weapons and more are not needed.

These are extraordinarily bad for maps designed for the original weapons since it usually screws up the balance terribly. As said here before, I would probably play with custom weapons only on maps specifically designed for them.

There are sensible weapon niches that aren't filled by the original doom weapon selection, so it's theoretically possible to make a weapon mod that isn't tasteless rubbish. Maybe some day someone will.

I don't use any of those weapon mods that are supposed to be loaded with arbitrary mapsets, but I like when mapsets come with their own custom weapons that they have been balanced for.

Invasion wads have a lot of those. I never played them but I like designs of some extra weapons. I like them to be already part of map pack. But there is some rule that everytime it has a lot of new cool weapons and enemies, the maps sucks arse. I have never seen anything that has good normal singleplayer maps AND good extra stuff. Valiant was closest to what I am looking for

The only weapon mods I use for actual playthroughs of Doom are smooth weapons like Smooth Doom, BlackOps, FluidWeapons(beta) and finally: @Nevander's Doom 64 weapons, because damn those sounds pack a punch, and the weapons dont break the balance.

Moar gunz the better.

Im serious. I dont care about balance, I care about the feel one gets when one discharges the weapon into a corridor or a tough monster. Even if the mod uses vanilla skins, moar gunz the better. Even if they are ridiculously overpowered, moar gunz the better.

However, I hate mods like those who just have three guns or fewer and all are overpowered. That is just plain boring and monotonous as hell. More than 12 should suffice.

Similarily I dont like weapons that LOOK overpowered but can't even scratch a itch off a back. That is just plain ugly. Unless the mod has custom monsters with 1 hp or something, it can be a bore wielding the Jesus Gun which looks like it could raze a skyscraper but I am bothering with the basic of zeddites.

I guess those mods that add just ONE gun (and don't just replace one weapon) are fine as long as they are original and not some "chaingun replacement (iz gud i swer on my vodka)" stuff. Stuff like revolvers, assault rifles, grenade launchers, flamethrowers, knives, akimbo pistols, plasma drills, shortguns (smol cute shotguns that shoot fast), (cross)bows, magic staffs, trappers (and many others) are welcome to me. BUT NO RESKINS! I just can't play a "gud mod" that just makes the chaingun look diffrent or something. Or mods that dare the replace weapons from the original arsenal without a good reason. I understand if the mod was a practice mod for the big thing, but basing all your glory on "I made a shiny chaingun reskin" is just... stupid. You are talented, you can do better!

But as i said, moar gunz the better. If you are thinking should you put a revolver or a flamethrower in your new mod, just put both and let people pick. It is not like more weapons could slow players down.

3 hours ago, Voros said:

The only weapon mods I use for actual playthroughs of Doom are smooth weapons like Smooth Doom, BlackOps, FluidWeapons(beta) and finally: @Nevander's Doom 64 weapons, because damn those sounds pack a punch, and the weapons dont break the balance.

I like the Doom 64 weapons pack and also its extended version, but I'm not entirely sure the weapons 'don't break the

balance'. I get the feeling that even the basic Doom 64 shotgun packs a considerably bigger punch than the standard item when used against regular Doom opponents.

2 minutes ago, Summer Deep said:

I get the feeling that even the basic Doom 64 shotgun packs a considerably bigger punch than the standard item when used against regular Doom opponents.

I'm pretty sure it's the sounds that make it seem like  they deliver higher damage. Can probably be checked by seeing the damage given shotguns' DECORATE files.

Even so, there's nothing considerable with a little buff, right?

I think weapon mods are gimmicks in a way (at least for me). I enjoy them for a day and then I forget about them completely. There is nothing like vanilla Doom. I mean, sure I enjoyed having Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom (ok, that is mostly a gameplay mod, but you see what I mean) or whatever on my playthrough of E1 (for a day only) and then I got completely bored. It removes the challenge most of the time, unless the level is designed around this mod, which sucks to be honest.

4 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

Or mods that dare the replace weapons from the original arsenal without a good reason. I understand if the mod was a practice mod for the big thing, but basing all your glory on "I made a shiny chaingun reskin" is just... stupid. You are talented, you can do better!

You do realize that some people simply want to give their classic doom experience a visual polish and therefor create/use pure weapon reskins on purpose?

7 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You do realize that some people simply want to give their classic doom experience a visual polish and therefor create/use pure weapon reskins on purpose?

What is wrong with vanilla? Dont mind me, usually I find Smooth Doom or similar overhauls justified. Unless the difference is small, reskinning ONLY ONE weapon looks pretty out of place for me, no matter the quality of it. Maybe because I either go total overhaul or do nothing about it. Either way, unless someone has composed other skins that can be arranged per will or something, I just find it jarring to have ONLY ONE weapon reskinned and calling it a day in modding "career"

4 hours ago, Voros said:

I'm pretty sure it's the sounds that make it seem like  they deliver higher damage. Can probably be checked by seeing the damage given shotguns' DECORATE files.

Even so, there's nothing considerable with a little buff, right?

Yeah, on reflection I think you're probably right about that. I just took a spin through the first 3 levels of Doom 2 using the Doom 64 weapons, and it was taking three shotgun blasts to take out a demon, as in the standard gameplay. Pretty sure the extended version gives the player a bit of an edge though, what with having the BFG, the Unmaker and the Devastator. The latter seems to be almost the equivalent of having the Autocannon in Project MSX.

Edited by Summer Deep

11 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

There are sensible weapon niches that aren't filled by the original doom weapon selection, so it's theoretically possible to make a weapon mod that isn't tasteless rubbish. Maybe some day someone will.

The "niche" bit was precisely the founding principle behind ZDCMP2's extra weapons, and I also made a conscious effort in dead.air to not clone any Doom weapon behaviors (sans machinegun), just to give it its own flavor.

[maps-with-weapons-horn-toot]

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I think weapon mods are gimmicks in a way (at least for me). I enjoy them for a day and then I forget about them completely. There is nothing like vanilla Doom. I mean, sure I enjoyed having Russian Overkill and Brutal Doom (ok, that is mostly a gameplay mod, but you see what I mean) or whatever on my playthrough of E1 (for a day only) and then I got completely bored. It removes the challenge most of the time, unless the level is designed around this mod, which sucks to be honest.

I've found a lot of mods that add weapons also add in enemies that are either fast, or have a lot of HP, which helps to create some balance.

3 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Yeah, on reflection I think you're probably right about that. I just took a spin through the first 3 levels of Doom 2 using the Doom 64 weapons, and it was taking three shotgun blasts to take out a demon, as in the standard gameplay. Pretty sure the extended version gives the player a bit of an edge though, what with having the BFG, the Unmaker and the Devastator. The latter seems to be almost the equivalent of having the Autocannon in Project MSX.

The extended version definitely gives the player more power in a map. I just use the standard version, because I honestly don't see how the extended version's weapons would help keep the balance of a map. But for shits and giggles, I sometimes load it, but nothing serious, as @ShotgunDemolition said:

4 hours ago, ShotgunDemolition said:

I enjoy [it] for a day

4 hours ago, Battle_Kirby said:

reskinning ONLY ONE weapon looks pretty out of place for me, no matter the quality of it.

And that's still perfectly fine, and far from a missed opportunity, or a lazy modder, for that matter. Some people like it when their game looks more like they think it should. If these "single reskins" can be used alongside one another, people can comfortably mix and match weapon skins to their tastes, while retaining most of the vanilla experience, because it's purely cosmetic.

That being said, I wholeheartedly disagree with statements like the one I previously quoted from your comment.

10 hours ago, drygnfyre said:

I've found a lot of mods that add weapons also add in enemies that are either fast, or have a lot of HP, which helps to create some balance.

Well, I am not that much into mods to have seen a lot of them, but if it can add balance in a way (I don't think I have seen that), I think I would be a welcome addition and I would be a little more interested in playing the mod. However, as I said, it wouldn't last long. It would be like delaying the inevitable (that being playing vanilla). 

Yes, as long it's 1 or 10 extra weapons, fine with me, however more than that results in a clusterfuck of extra weapons that are unecessary, though i'll add an exception to Russian Overkill, due to how hilarious and fun that mod is.

You can have 100 weapons but you use between 5 to 9 weapons because of the usefulness of each weapon.