Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ultimate Demon

Endless battles in DOOM3

Well i have been thinking about this for a long time. I hope that this hasn't been posted befour but anyway. Everybody says that in DOOM3 there aren't any levels right ( correct me if i'm wrong ), Even if there are Levels i hope that you can revisit it and find new items or weapons but the real question is... Will there be endless battles in DOOM3? I mean that if you kill a bunch of Bull Demons and later in the game you come back to get a special item ( or something like that ) so should there be demons there later in the game after i have killded them or not?

Uhh, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean? Are you suggesting that the demons respawn at a later point in the game?

Sounds like Hexen, where the odd Ettin spawns into a map every few minutes. Is that what you're talking about? Or just a couple monsters who aren't scripted to show up until you go back?

It sounds to me of what you meant was you're wondering if there is gonna be any exits set in game to seperate each level.

I like it better when those parts of a level I have cleared, stay clear when I revisit them later... because most time I revisit them for a spare health pack I left there, or just to look at a cool piece of architecture, so freshly spawned monsters are just annoying in those situations. Sometimes they are good for a surprise, but it shouldn´t happen regularely.

And the "whole game is one big level" thing will basicly be the same like in Half-Life, I guess.

That brings me to ask the question: will Doom3 have hub-style levels, or make-it-to-the-exit-and-go-on-to-the-next-one style levels, like in Doom, Doom2, and Heretic?

dsm said:

Uhh, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean? Are you suggesting that the demons respawn at a later point in the game?

Something like that but when you revisit an old area you have cleared. But it shouldn't respawn the same kind of monsters but different ( not a cyber demon or a mancubus if killed a imp and a pinky in a old area )...

Tetzlaff said:

I like it better when those parts of a level I have cleared, stay clear when I revisit them later... because most time I revisit them for a spare health pack I left there, or just to look at a cool piece of architecture, so freshly spawned monsters are just annoying in those situations. Sometimes they are good for a surprise, but it shouldn´t happen regularely.

Exactly. To prevent visited levels from getting really boring there should be lots of atmospheric sounds, so it would seem like the whole level is 'alive'. Sounds of waterdrops falling from the ceiling, Sounds of gasleaks, a faint scream, stuff that would scare the shit out of you. Would be perfect IMHO.

Tetzlaff said:

And the "whole game is one big level" thing will basicly be the same like in Half-Life, I guess.

Nooooooo I hate it when u play half the game walking all back again just for a health pack. That sucks so much lol.

I have mixed feelings. I don't like respawning monsters, but I don't want it to be so that the fighting would cease once you had killed everything. Maybe every so often at any given place, a monster might spawn near you, say around the corner, to give the effect of the occasional straggling monster, but no massive respawns. That way old places will still have something to fight without being annoying or definite. Sometimes they won't spawn, and sometimes they will.

AIRmichael said:

Nooooooo I hate it when u play half the game walking all back again just for a health pack. That sucks so much lol.

LOL :D It´s your decision whether you want to go back or not. You also can count on that there´s a new health pack arround the next corner.

BTW, should there be poratble medkits in Doom3?

JavaGuy said:

Maybe every so often at any given place, a monster might spawn near you, say around the corner, to give the effect of the occasional straggling monster, but no massive respawns.

Or what about this: when you walk back into the cleared areas, at certain points it activates a monster walking out of the unexplored parts of the map (instead of waiting there for you) and tracks you into the cleared parts of the level. So you still have the feeling, the monsters are located in the unknown areas of the map and don´t spawn out from nowhere in the cleared areas of the map.

Tetzlaff said:

LOL :D It´s your decision whether you want to go back or not. You also can count on that there´s a new health pack arround the next corner.

BTW, should there be poratble medkits in Doom3?

Or what about no medkits at all. Just u with lots of health.

You mean with lots of... health packs? :D Or more like starting with 600 health, and no way to restore it after being damaged?

In general prefer the classic FPS rules for the gameplay.

AIRmichael said:

Or what about no medkits at all. Just u with lots of health.

That would suck - 'nuff said.

Tetzlaff said:

So you still have the feeling, the monsters are located in the unknown areas of the map and don´t spawn out from nowhere in the cleared areas of the map.

Uh, monsters 'teleport' or whatever into the levels in some parts anyway. (See quakecon vid)

Tetzlaff said:

You mean with lots of... health packs? :D Or more like starting with 600 health, and no way to restore it after being damaged?

In general prefer the classic FPS rules for the gameplay.

Starting with 600 health. I just dont want to walk all way back again hehe.

I hope they'll place all the healthpacks and weapons in a realistic way. It'd suck to see weapons floating around and spinning a full 360 with magic bubbles flying around them.. Yuck.
I think ID already said that they'd place the weapons in places where you'd expect them to find though. Not sure where I read that..

That was one of the great things about half-life. Every time you got a new weapon, it was 'in-situ'. Apart from perhaps the crowbar.

Disorder said:

I hope they'll place all the healthpacks and weapons in a realistic way. It'd suck to see weapons floating around and spinning a full 360 with magic bubbles flying around them.. Yuck.
I think ID already said that they'd place the weapons in places where you'd expect them to find though. Not sure where I read that..

RtCW had realistic item placement, and I believe that id will have realistic item placement in Doom 3 too (after all, they WERE involved in doing RtCW, albeit only as advisers).

One thing to consider would be if there's bits of storyline or video after each "level" if the game is divided into levels, if the next level is just down a flight of stairs or something like that, perhaps monsters that hear u blowing away the monsters on the current level might come to investigate. Monsters respawning when u go back would suck. Monsters appearing from nowhere would suck. Monsters relocating from where they're placed when the map loads would be cool. While we're on the subject, the mosters shouldn't load in the same spot every time u load the map, less'n its like a cyberdemon guarding a door or key.