Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nxGangrel

Doom 2 Redux NOW ON IDGAMES!!!

Been playing this over the past week and I just finished it. Its good, really good. Does a great job of emulating the original maps without feeling like a carbon copy. My only complaint is that the Icon of Sin battle was stupidly easy. On my first try it only took me like 15 seconds to kill him. I literally just entered the big arena, ran past the few enemies within, stepped on the lift trigger, rode it up and fired a few rockets into his brain and it was over.

Yeah that's a thing I noticed on that level as well, it can be really easy or really hard depending on how quick you are and where the monsters spawn. It'll be up to the level designer (trace) to change that.

I played a handful of maps earlier and really enjoyed it. Just wanted to pop in and say that, can't wait for the final version. Like Count651 I enjoy that it feels inspired by Doom2 but totally does it's own thing as well. Good stuff.

I have updated the wad to Version 666.666: The Edgelord Limited Edition.  I took what Count said about Map30 and included a series of perpetual lifts in the tunnel leading to Romero's head that essentially randomizes whether or not the rocket even makes it to his head regardless of where you aim.  I played through it a few times and on average had to fire 15+ rockets to kill IoS.  If anyone tries it, please let me know if this made the map more difficult or too difficult.

Hi there! I've been playing this UV Pistol-Starts, No Saves in the morsels of free time I get now a days. Let me just stay this is hands down the best Doom II remake project I've played thus far, and this is coming from someone who disliked Doom II considering the levels boring compared to the other IWADS. The level design maintains the theme and authenticity of their original counterparts, but provides a modern facelift on the gameplay, delivering challenging and innovative gameplay, where I'm constantly changing tactics from room to room and strategically calculating my ammo usage providing a fresh and tense experience from map to map. It's rare for a wad to keep me enthralled and engrossed from the first map wanting me to keep playing continuously and you've done a mighty fine job of that here ;)

I fucking loved you used Gothictx as a texture pack as it reminds me of the awesome New Gothic Movement, but in all seriousness it's a kick ass choice as I'm smitten for fantasy and medieval themes :p You've also got killer choice in music with a great range of rockin tunes, I'm unfamiliar with quite a few, I assume their original compositions, a song list with their respective authors would be much appreciated ^_^

Difficulty wise, I feel it's just right, nothing dickish or over the top thus far, but balanced and fair for the veteran Doomer, it seems deliberately designed with Pistol Starts in mind as I had no problem with supplies, in fact on a number of maps I reached the exit with excess amounts. I'm up to MAP32 which is proving to be a tricky bastard though, as you'd expect from the super secret map ;D You've got to know exactly where to go from the start and know what your doing, as supplies are short and your engaging with high tier beastiary with an inadequete armory from the start. In summary, great job and I'm sure the other half will be just as good if not better.

Glad to hear you like it, man!

Map01 is A New Level by Pantera

Map02 is going to be Hand of Doom by Black Sabbath for the final release

I don't remember the tracks on my other maps right now.

Edited by Tracer

Be sure to let us know what you think.  Or maybe even record your playthrough, that'd be cool!

7 minutes ago, nxGangGirl said:

As a designer or as a reviewer?

Just in general.  I respect and value your opinion when it comes to mapping.

Just popping in to report that the player can become stuck in soulsphere secret in MAP07 (sector 146) if the door closes behind them.

I believe it was already mentioned during the session 2 weeks ago we would play second half today so here's a late notice:

Doom 2 Redux Part II today on Thursday Night Survival, starting at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT (countdown)

Hope to see you join us for a while this week again.

I also forgot to report some coop bugs after we played Part I but that will be rectified this week and I will also include bugs from Part II, if we encounter any.

45 minutes ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

I believe it was already mentioned during the session 2 weeks ago we would play second half today so here's a late notice:

Doom 2 Redux Part II today on Thursday Night Survival, starting at 19:00 BST/14:00 EDT (countdown)

Hope to see you join us for a while this week again.

I also forgot to report some coop bugs after we played Part I but that will be rectified this week and I will also include bugs from Part II, if we encounter any.

Will this be streamed anywhere? I cannot participate in these due to work getting in the way sadly.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Will this be streamed anywhere?

I'm afraid not.

You can expect the session to be active with 15+ players for at least 4 hours after the start and then with less players for at least another 2 hours. So if you'll be off from work by then you could come later and the server will still be active.

@Tracer I played your updated version of map 30. It seems like good concept for the randomly moving ledges, but the gameplay still felt the same, an I finished it in a few seconds. I'm not entirely sure how to make it better or fix it though. That'll probably be up to you.

I'm going to update the beta to version 1.4, so @Keyboard_Doomer before you set up the zdaemon server please use the update version. (EDIT: The updates don't matter for maps 16 - 30, except when trace updates map 30)

Edited by nxGangGirl

What's the deal with exit door in MAP16? Linedef 1774 is tagged as W1 and there doesn't seem to be other way to open it.

Also, there is a minor HOM in BFG secret in MAP31:

Screenshot_Doom_20170427_210753.png

On 4/27/2017 at 0:10 PM, Caleb13 said:

What's the deal with exit door in MAP16? Linedef 1774 is tagged as W1 and there doesn't seem to be other way to open it.

Yeah I fixed it just haven't resubmitted it yet. Sorry about that. I mean't for it to be d1 open stay, but I guess I clicked w1 by accident.

I finally got around to playing Doom 2 Redux. Map 01 was a great opener, an onslaught with close quarters combat. Proved to be a good challenge. I especially like the dimensional flux with hell.  That really caught me off guard!

YLBpBLz.png

20 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

I finally got around to playing Doom 2 Redux. Map 01 was a great opener, an onslaught with close quarters combat. Proved to be a good challenge. I especially like the dimensional flux with hell.  That really caught me off guard!

YLBpBLz.png

Thanks, man!  I really enjoyed making the interdimensional crossover areas.  I might add them to my other maps too, but I haven't decided yet.

Well this thread has been dormant for a while. I think 1.4 will be the final update before releasing the wad proper. I will do some minor editing with Map 30 so it takes longer than 10 seconds to finish. I'll also try to make sure all the coop lockouts are gone. But some additional testing will/may be needed. Sorry for the delays, I've been really busy with other projects and rl.

Thanks to every one who contributed to the project! And for Trace for starting it.