Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

[Resolved] Doom 3: Sikkmod issues

I am trying to get Sikkmod looking as nice as it could but there is one glaring problem: The heat haze effect looks "mirrory" or zoomed in. What's going on?

I'm using an RX 480 8GB card yet some of the fancy features do not work or make things look worse (Soft shadows and SSAO).

That I don't have this issue with vanilla Doom 3 either.

shot00001.jpg

Edited by Glaice : Issue resolved

Oh, so that's you. Found out using hqmod.exe method works. Thanks!

I was trying to see if I can log hours but I can live without the time.

Why does this happen on AMD/ATI GPUs? What specifically causes the game to have a seizure? Is it AMD being shitty again? Recently installed Redux and I got the same problems until I ran it using a renamed EXE. What is it about Doom3.exe that AMD has a grudge with?

AMD has terrible OpenGL support, nothing specific to Doom3 at all. That's about all there is to it.

It's also entirely possible they hard-coded a compatibility pipeline to force Doom3 to work if they detect the EXE, with some rather specific redirection to get around existing problems with compiling shaders or specific instructions. Nvidia do the same but always very specific problems, such as Quake2 crashing if fed too big of an OpenGL extension string.

Edited by Edward850

AMD is total shit when it comes to OpenGL support in their drivers, especially with advanced features of GL 3 and 4. And even when things work, the performance is miserable compared to Direct3D code that's literally doing what should be the same things. Kaiser suspects that their shader compiler for GLSL doesn't do sufficient optimization.

Pretty much what they said. OpenGL support on AMD drivers has always been bad and will remain that way unless they start giving two shits about it again. What sucks is that OpenGL is definitely faster than Direct X but it doesn't help that the shader compiler is absolute crap.