Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMancuBus

Robert Duffy: Next Generation of id Tech and Something New in the Pipeline!

id Software discusses Ryzen - YouTube

Starts at 1:27.

Robert Duffy: "We're working on the next generation of idTech right now, and we're definitely gonna optimise fully for Ryzen. The new engine tech that we're working on is far more parallel than idTech 6 (DOOM 2016 engine) was. We plan to really consume all the CPU that Ryzen can offer. We're obviously always working on something new so I can't say much about it, but you can always count on us having some fun stuff in the pipeline."

What do you guys think?

This might be evidence that the next DOOM game, or whatever it is, will be planned for next-gen consoles and tech. Seeing as id like to take at least three years to develop each game (I believe Marty said that last year), that would mean around 2019 for the next game, which is probably when we'll have a PS5, etc.

Thickening the plot possibly somewhat, Pete Hines posted a "map" of Bethesda's upcoming E3 presentation which was drawn up to look like a Disney World-style theme park with distinct areas, and one of the areas is a huge "DOOM Land". Does this mean they're trying to catch us off-guard with some kind of surprise at E3 maybe? Like, announcing the next game, or something else entirely?

I'd love to be surprised by new Doom-related stuff, but it's also likely to just be that VR demo they talked about last year.

On 25.04.2017 at 10:31 PM, ChickenOrBeef said:

This might be evidence that the next DOOM game, or whatever it is, will be planned for next-gen consoles and tech.

Thanks for destroying my dream. The original post sounded exciting, like a computing breakthrough in games, but then you reminded me about consoles and the afterthought status of the PC. 

11 minutes ago, printz said:

Thanks for destroying my dream. The original post sounded exciting, like a computing breakthrough in games, but then you reminded me about consoles and the afterthought status of the PC. 

The PC is not in afterthought status, at least not with id/Bethesda in any case. You are probably thinking more along the lines of WB.

On 5/1/2017 at 3:38 AM, Quasar said:

Thickening the plot possibly somewhat, Pete Hines posted a "map" of Bethesda's upcoming E3 presentation which was drawn up to look like a Disney World-style theme park with distinct areas, and one of the areas is a huge "DOOM Land". Does this mean they're trying to catch us off-guard with some kind of surprise at E3 maybe? Like, announcing the next game, or something else entirely?

I'm hoping for an Old Blood-style expandalone set in Hell. From a story POV it could be filler content until the next game comes (but with more background lore), just like Thy Flesh Consumed.

Edited by DooM_RO

On 5/1/2017 at 1:15 AM, printz said:

If they're optimizing for Ryzen anything consoles get is third class.

Like it should be.

On 4.5.2017 at 0:37 AM, Flesh420 said:

If they're optimizing for Ryzen anything consoles get is third class.

Don't think so. Consoles (XB1, PS4) already use 7/8 cores.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:42 AM, igg said:

Don't think so. Consoles (XB1, PS4) already use 7/8 cores.

They use two quads.  Doom dips below 60fps at 1080p.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:17 AM, MrGlide said:

18238828_1409517729115746_89135790033013

That's a reassuringly big section for Doom! I guess the execs at Bethesda are happy it was such an all-out hit.