Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Where will Doom go next?

To tell you the truth, now that this Doom covered a lot of traditional Doom tropes (Techbases, Your standard Hell, etc...), im hoping for another setting, dunno, a frozen hell, maybe even earth

They will go back to Doom's early 90s roots...

...and make the next game with doomguy and all of the demons as babies.

Phobos, Deimos, Hell, Mars City (Doom 3 environment), then a prequel story about the origins of Doom guy ... then finally Earth.

On 4/8/2017 at 4:35 AM, Piper Maru said:

Settings: Phobos - Deimos - Earth

Weapons: The Crucible

Monsters: Archvile, Arachnotron, Pain Elemental, Bruiser (Doom 3 ROE)

Doomguy using the sword? I have mixed feelings 

I propose this: 

Game starts in Hell for the first couple of levels, then goes to Mars, then Earth, then Phobos, then back to Hell.

42 minutes ago, drokk said:

Doomguy using the sword? I have mixed feelings 

It's not just a sword, it's a laser sword! Or it can remain as a MacGuffin for the sequel.

I just hope they find the sense to call the damn thing Doom 5. I'd also like to see better multiplayer (new-age replica of Old Doom servers, the fact that Doom 16 wasn't that way on release still baffles me) and better modding capabilities. That aside, the studio has shown they can make a good Doom game that follows the series reasonably well.

Ya, saying "Doom'16" is a bit of a pain in the ass. I personally liked the mp, but wouldn't mind at all if they switched things back to a more classic set up. I have the extra computers that I could have ran my own servers as well.

11 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

It's not just a sword, it's a laser sword! Or it can remain as a MacGuffin for the sequel.

Light sabers in doom? 

I take it the Crucible would be a one-hit FUCK EVERYTHING THAT MOOOOOOOVES kind of a weapon and the Doomslayer would occasionally wield it in "nightmare sequences" where either he has flashbacks of the time before, or gets robbed of his weapons by some super-smaert-alaens-hoo-bendy-forkies-and-spines or something. Basically, it would be unavailable during regular gunplay. I bet during the final boss fight Doomslayer would have both the Crucible AND his usual weapons, and he would have to have a faceoff against some super Archvile that vibrates so fucking hard he deflects bullets, and only the chainsaw can nib him off, and the Crucible would deal some actual damage. The thing would be, he would be super quick, and every 2.5 minutes he would revive the entire arena for the Doomslayer to enjoy. And in every 10 minutes the fight takes on, another super baddie joins the fight, or a squadron of monsters.

Or maybe the guys at Ideas from the (Extra) Dip have a better idea than meeee.

Well the 1 year anniversary is coming. 

I am not giving my hopes up for anything.  How disappointing Id...

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Well the 1 year anniversary is coming. 

I am not giving my hopes up for anything.  How disappointing Id...

Do you mean you didn't like the game?

That is not what I said at all.

What is disappointing is the fact that we have have seen ZERO updates in months.  They promised a April update but we got nothing.  Everyone is screaming for SP DLC and yet we only get MP (arguably the weakest part of the new doom) DLC instead.  So all we have is despair and that is very disappointing.

And no, I enjoyed the Campaign very much.  MP and SnapMap not as much, but I do know that SnapMap has changed a lot since release.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

That is not what I said at all.

What is disappointing is the fact that we have have seen ZERO updates in months.  They promised a April update but we got nothing.  Everyone is screaming for SP DLC and yet we only get MP (arguably the weakest part of the new doom) DLC instead.  So all we have is despair and that is very disappointing.

And no, I enjoyed the Campaign very much.  MP and SnapMap not as much, but I do know that SnapMap has changed a lot since release.

I suppose it takes time to do these types of things. I honestly don't think a singleplayer expansion is coming, and if it is, they're probably still working on it, if you consider how unsure ID was of how successful Doom was going to be (since they obviously wouldn't have started on a sequel as soon as they finished it).

I just got around to playing sergeant mark IV's hell on earth starter pack and I think the next game can take a few hints there. The levels didn't feel linear and there was exploration, something Doom '16 didn't have. There also hasn't been many games to my knowledge recently that deal with invasions of any kind in a modern city setting. I think the next game can capitalize there.

54 minutes ago, Jet1337 said:

there was exploration, something Doom '16 didn't have. 

Wrong, especially in the first half of the game.

20 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Wrong, especially in the first half of the game.

I'm sorry that you call that exploration by your standards. Going off the beaten path for a few seconds isn't what I'm talking about. Maybe you should play the hell on earth starter pack and see what I mean. Oh, and secret levels. Where are they in Doom '16?

15 hours ago, Jet1337 said:

Oh, and secret levels. Where are they in Doom '16?

That's a good question actually. 

On 5/7/2017 at 6:21 AM, Jet1337 said:

I'm sorry that you call that exploration by your standards. Going off the beaten path for a few seconds isn't what I'm talking about. Maybe you should play the hell on earth starter pack and see what I mean. Oh, and secret levels. Where are they in Doom '16?

Classic Doom didn't have real exploration as well.  Yes there were some places that you didn't need to go, but most levels were just as linear.

On 5/7/2017 at 6:21 AM, Jet1337 said:

Oh, and secret levels. Where are they in Doom '16?

Pull the levers.

53 minutes ago, Jaxxoon R said:

Pull the levers.

Secret rooms =/= secret levels.

2 hours ago, Zemini said:

Classic Doom didn't have real exploration as well.  Yes there were some places that you didn't need to go, but most levels were just as linear.

I'm not talking about classic vanilla Doom. Have you played the hell on earth starter pack? Most of the levels encouraged exploration for secrets and secret levels and they didn't feel anywhere as linear as the levels in Doom '16

I wish I could kick the game's level designers in the balls for making most of the game's levels feel uninspired and repetitive. I would love to know who thought it was a great idea to have most of the levels divided into arenas. The game feels more like Painkiller than Doom. I've not heard any praise for the game's level design. So I think that in the next game, levels should be designed to tell a story and encourage exploration instead of running from point A to B and having the room go into lockdown while you have to kill everything to continue on.

24 minutes ago, Jet1337 said:

And what do those secret rooms unlock?

1 hour ago, Jet1337 said:

I'm not talking about classic vanilla Doom. Have you played the hell on earth starter pack? Most of the levels encouraged exploration for secrets and secret levels and they didn't feel anywhere as linear as the levels in Doom '16

I wish I could kick the game's level designers in the balls for making most of the game's levels feel uninspired and repetitive. I would love to know who thought it was a great idea to have most of the levels divided into arenas. The game feels more like Painkiller than Doom. I've not heard any praise for the game's level design. So I think that in the next game, levels should be designed to tell a story and encourage exploration instead of running from point A to B and having the room go into lockdown while you have to kill everything to continue on.

I dont know what you are talking about.  Do you mean Doom 2?  Most of those were also linear.  There were a few that were more open and had elements of exploration, but ti was still level - 2 - level linear.

A Doom 4 level on the scale of Downtown would not really work with modern engines nor would it even look that good.  Best we could hope for is a more RPG open ended world like Borderlands meets Doom.

I have played brutal doom but I don't know what this is.  From the screenshots it just looks like BD for Hell on Earth.  Are the levels redesigned?

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

I have played brutal doom but I don't know what this is.  From the screenshots it just looks like BD for Hell on Earth.  Are the levels redesigned?

Yeah, all 32 levels are completely new and have custom scripts or whatever like imps jumping through glass, minor destructible objects, etc... It starts out on a Mars base, goes to Earth, and ends in Hell. Level 31 caught me by surprise and is probably the best secret level ever. lol

5 hours ago, Jaxxoon R said:

And what do those secret rooms unlock?

A single room from a level from one of the classic Doom games.