Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Vae Victus 1 & 2

May, 2017

bnaWxuD.png

> Download Vae Victus Fix (base wad)

> Download Vae Victus 2

> 2017 Season Standings

Leaderboard

1. # Survived [01:14:15] Demon of the Well - Yeah, you can fit a whole four minutes through that door, no problem. Back on the winner's list!
  2. # Survived [01:17:18] Veinen - Cynical's mortgage is the real victor, here.
  3. # Survived [01:18:21] Bloodite Krypto - Car battery blitzkrieg; an emphatic performance. But has he left the door behind him slightly ajar?
  4. # Survived [02:06:53] Alfonzo - Coffee machine skills need work, but it's a good'n! Will this be an exception to the rule, or the start of a trend?
  5. # 13 levelsWH-Wilou84 - Those hanging corpses. If you want to rally around my house with eggs and pitchforks, I won't even draw the curtains.
  6. # 13 levelsSuitepee - A poet may find irony in the manner of John's map07 death in vv1. A playtester would find a bug worth fixing.
  7. # 12 levelsOctavarium - Barely managed to leap his way down the mountain before being fried by the Caverna Fiesta.
  8. # 12 levelsan_mutt - Smacked up by Malcolm (he's the one with the gammy foot); finished off by the Caverna Fiesta.
  9. # 12 levels: tourniquet - Couldn't commit to killing Malcolm and Dumont, the pit cyberdemons of vv's dreaded Caverna Fiesta. The first of many.
  10. # 12 levelsNoisyVelvet - Pulverized within seconds of entering the Caverna Fiesta. That telporter setup is a bit rancid.
  11. # 11 levelsGordon - Welcome back, Gordon, and tough luck! You were making pretty good time. (DNF)
  12. # 11 levels: Roofi - Out of sight, out of mind. Your brains, I mean. Cyber rockets'll do that.
  13. # 11 levelsBashe - Followed Gordon's lead into a shitty little nook. Quality rocket collect on vv map06, though! Thanks, Malcolm. (DNF)
  14. # 11 levelsdobu gabu maru - vv2's cyberdemons are pushovers. Borderline jokes, even! Their predecessors loved a bit of the old muzzle flash.
  15. # 10 levels: Rathori - The legend of Keith lives on! Two saucy baron bangers right in the noggin'. vv1 map05's cyberdemon gets an assist.
  16. # 10 levels: Eris Falling - Perhaps the most bizarre circumstance to frame a death to date (vv map04). Love the annotation work, as always.
  17. # 10 levelsRjY - Unlucky ending to the vv2 run, but was the incident in vv's Caverna Fiesta an avoidable one? Baron gets the chocolates. (DNF)
  18. # 09 levelsDime - Was on track for a brilliant finish... and then he loaded vv1-fix.wad in the wrong order. (DNF)
  19. # 08 levelsAnima Zero - Made a concerted effort in both wads to play ball with power-downs.
  20. # 08 levels: Scotty - A bad storm of monster-blocking lines and misdirection tells the story of Scotty's ultimate demise.
  21. # 08 levelsClonedPickle - He made a promise to a crate-top megaarmor that he would come back for it. You won't believe what happens next!
  22. # 07 levelsSSGmaster - Recovered from a disastrous incident in vv map01 to finish the sequel. That's two players who've missed the radsuit.
  23. # 06 levelsJudgeDeadd - Melting to death after a simple slip-up is bad enough, but take your pick; these are both sorry sights.
  24. # 05 levelsAncalagon - 4shockblast's contagion is spreading. That, or I've found a great way to kill off half the speedrunners for a top table finish.
  25. # 05 levelsDaIcemann76 - Wore one in the back to match the other at the front. The complete package.
  26. # 05 levelsAconyX - vv was a write-off, but the arch-vile encounter in vv2 map06 is a cautionary tale for the ages.
  27. # 05 levelsbzzrak - The rudiments of projectile dodging may need some reinforcement, here.
  28. # 04 levelsrodster - Didn't wear protection in vv map01. Got his head knocked off by successive revenant rockets in vv2 map05.
  29. # 04 levelscannonball - I'm beginning to think cannonball's runs are more suited to greek tragedy than doom demos. Good catch!
  30. # 04 levelsskillsaw - I'm not sure if two spiders make a cluster, but skillsaw's corpse probably isn't interested in semantics at this point.
  31. # 04 levelsCrusader No Regret - A couple of silly deaths, here. Anima must have released some kind of neural toxin when he died in vv map04.
  32. # 03 levelsbonnie - Alex Jones may want to check his legs for constricted arteries and reduced blood flow to the feet.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In May 2017 the DWIronman League dies to Dittohead's Vae Victus and Vae Victus 2, both -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)). This is DWIronman's first foray into dual set territory, and it means there's a bit of shake-up in the ranking adjudication. You are permitted to play both of these sets independently as though they were separate challenges, with the aggregate number of completed maps - as well as the time taken - being used to determine your position. You will only be listed as 'survived' if you survive both sets. You may play them in either order. Please zip both of your files together for convenience!

vv2.wad gained some small amount of traction on the demo scene a few years ago, unlike its predecessor. At a guess, this may have been because vv was broken as all hell on maps 03 and 04, with nearby W1 crusher triggers preventing the player from opening the most basic of doors. The locally made vv1-fix.wad corrects this issue, allowing you to die conveniently on one of the subsequent maps! These are two like-minded sets totaling 14 levels at 7 apiece, and they both present with dangerous swings in temperament and difficulty... although one undoubtedly more than the other. With Mapgame done and dusted, it's time to throw ourselves back into the fire.

prboom-plus -file vv vv1-fix -complevel 2 -skill 4 -record my_demo

Spoiler

• One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run such that the stream/recording becomes irretrievable, you are permitted a second or subsequent attempt offline. Technical difficulties during streams or recordings that present as merely an impediment (i.e. the run is still observable, in the case of a stream) do not count as system failures. In these instances, you should save the game, if possible, and resume when the issue has been resolved.
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)

Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update.

I'm alive! Amazing. Mapgame should have been the first pin to get bowled over this year after the first 3 challenges went astray, and I'd have thought that the vvs combined would be the second most likely challenge to sit me on my ass after BTSX... but I guess not.

vv2 was almost totally blind. As per usual, I skimmed through the levels for a few seconds to get a general feel for the sort of thing on offer and then followed up with the online rapport. vv I was a bit more intimate with because of needing to check the maps in DB for more brokenness, and I did have a few cracks at some of the more difficult maps before deciding against overplaying them. Got lost in a few spots in both sets which cost me some precious time, but oh well. Happy just to survive, this month. Time will tell if it was a rogue submission or the start of a trend.

I'm confident that both Dime and Suitepee (especially Suitepee) will pack it in on at least one of these sets.

EDIT: Also, uuuhhhhhh try not to watch any of my vv map02 run. I don't want to talk about what happens around the 4:30 mark.

vv_ironman_alfnz.zip

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an embarrassment.

Blind for both of these, poor guesswork on my part. The gap shall widen, shittttttt 

Dead in map02 and 05, the only interesting thing that happened was being at 2hp, shooting a rocket and doing precisely 1 damage to myself in vv2, for the rest, pretty boring wads mostly filled with doors with hp.

anc-vvironman.zip

Edited by Ancalagon

Fresh run required, RjY. But hey, now you can perform with the additional pressure of self-expectation. What fun!

Survived in 1:18.21. I took my final time at MAP07 for both sets and added them together respectively, am I doing it right :P

DWIronman_vv_BlooditeKrypto.zip

A great choice but I was hoping for something more difficult to be frank after the tame Mapgame ;) I've played both sets before in SP then survival coop but I'm uncertain how many years back, perhaps 3 or 4. Nevertheless with my sharp photographic memory the environments appeared familiar so I wasn't surprised by the encounters, but on the other hand I don't recall exactly where to go, so Vae Victus is approached at a moderate pace with attempts at skipping areas where possible. Vae Victus II on the other hand has far more linear layouts, so I take an intuitive approach of rushing and guessing where to go, which worked out more beneficial compared to the first as their's fewer paths to take.

The first is the more challenging of the set with the encounters steadily increasing in number and danger, with the sequel reducing swarm encounters dramatically and adopting the less monsters, placed strategically design philosophy. However both sets are crippled by the sheer abundance of ammo you attain mid way through, overflowing with cells in particular which trivialize the final maps to an extent, coupled with the generous abundance of health and armor on MAP06 of VV1 and MAP07 of VV2 respectively. Also of note is it's easier to skip encounters in the sequel due to opting for the great outdoors approach, where the first had you cramped in those interior installations having to go through hallways stuffed with hellspawn, however both sets play well and this is just a little critque of my experience.

Another interesting turn of events for this month's Ironman; a dual mapset! I've not played either of these before, although quickly previewing both maps shows that map 6 of VV1 looks....challenging.

Well an_mutt will go first this month, and hopefully I'll beat that time to regain my Britbowl lead.

30 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Fresh run required, RjY. But hey, now you can perform with the additional pressure of self-expectation. What fun!

That additional pressure was what I was hoping to avoid! But fair enough, that's what I thought you'd say. Thanks for the clarification.

Getting in early, Bloodite? Nicely done! Sportsmanlike of you to give some of the other players a good 30 days to meet the target, too, but god damn... I was hoping I'd have some time to lord over the rest of the table :D

Vae Victus 1 and 2 aren't exactly two peas in a pod, so to speak. You're right about the first one being harder. I'm definitely also with you on the ammo saturation being over-the-top near the end of it, which is partly why I selected the set, in fact. I thought it would present as a nice segue into the second half of the year where we'll start to see some of the more difficult challenges crop up, on average, providing the sort of open-plan running and outmaneuvering of projectiles that's characteristic of many modern works, but without being all that difficult. If you stay on the move and use your ammo liberally, as is permitted, then it's really no harder to beat than any of Jade Earth's toughest moments, say. BTSX on the whole was a much, much tougher ask, as well.

Of course, you, dew and Wilou would be the only ones who can attest to that, at the moment :)

41 minutes ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

I took my final time at MAP07 for both sets and added them together respectively, am I doing it right :P

Yeppers.

34 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

I've not played either of these before, although quickly previewing both maps shows that map 6 of VV1 looks....challenging.

It's the big showstopper, yep. I think you can do it, in all honesty (smack talk ceasefire!), but you'll want to be bold out of the gates and keep looking forward to cover ground and get health. Lingering around too long - as I almost did - just puts you in a position to get snagged by a flying monster overhead and then smacked by a revenant or hell knight from the other side of the cavern.

Edited by Alfonzo : I am not a double post.

I think the furthest I've played of any of the Vae Victus wads is the first few maps of VV2, so this should be pretty interesting. If 'fonz can make it through to the end of both wads, then I'm feeling pretty good on my chances of another strong showing. Expect my demos a little later today - I may also record them and post them to twitch/youtube if the likes of Suitepee would like to see them.

I will record my demo the next week maybe. I don't know this wad at all. :p

1 hour ago, Alfonzo said:

Getting in early, Bloodite? Nicely done! Sportsmanlike of you to give some of the other players a good 30 days to meet the target, too, but god damn... I was hoping I'd have some time to lord over the rest of the table :D

Of course, you, dew and Wilou would be the only ones who can attest to that, at the moment :)

Thanks! I woke up at 7:12AM saw the thread and thought let's get to it, this shouldn't take long. Fear not for your throne, perhaps you'll be able to lord over Dime :D

That 'at the moment' phrase makes me suspect BTSX II is on the horizon :p

I hope I got it right. It's been awhile I've done any speedrunning demos. I apologize if I didn't do this correctly. :P

Vae Victus 1 - Failed miserably in this. Died in MAP01.

Vae Victus 2 - This went pretty well, until in MAP06 Arch-Vile blasted my ass off while I was running away from it. I was hoping for those Barons of hell to attack that damn Vile. D:

vv_ironman_aconyx.zip

Welcome, @AconyX! Your demos are in working order. Pretty hilarious death in your vv2 run, if you don't mind my saying. Playing way too cute with that arch-vile! It was probably only a couple stray pellets away from dying, on top of all that, so that you could have almost fired off an ssg shot and dropped it from across the room. Oh well, I can't say you didn't deserve it ;)

map01's was a bit of a tragedy, but also kind of self-inflicted. 'Zerking a few more of the monsters would have freed up some ammo.

Hope to see you next month!

Just now, rodster said:

Hurting floors and no suite :( :D

I'm sorry that I couldn't be there to help you! ;)

vv1 - Died at map 6 to Malcolm & Dumont's distant cyber cousin Ralph.  No health in the area + me being at 6 health = Splash damage funsies!

vv2 - Died at map 4 after entering the PG room and basically eating everything, then deciding to casually strafe into an imp fireball like a dingbat.

DWIronman_vv1_vv2_AnimaZero.zip

6 minutes ago, Anima Zero said:

vv1 - Died at map 6 to Malcolm & Dumont's distant cyber cousin Ralph.  No health in the area + me being at 6 health = Splash damage funsies!

vv2 - Died at map 4 after entering the PG room and basically eating everything, then deciding to casually strafe into an imp fireball like a dingbat.

DWIronman_vv1_vv2_AnimaZero.zip

Having already recorded my runs (gonna be a very long upload), I can only say it's about bloody time you finished behind me again ;) GJ ANIMA

10 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

I can only say it's about bloody time you finished behind me again ;) GJ ANIMA

Eris mounting a comeback? FANCY. The back half of the year is shaping up something curious. Gonna have to start rolling out the betting accounts and fantasy football statistics.

5 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

Eris mounting a comeback? FANCY. The back half of the year is shaping up something curious. Gonna have to start rolling out the betting accounts and fantasy football statistics.

My bet -- Bloodite wins at least 10 months in total in 2017.  Also, I'll add "Bloodite beats DotW every month they both compete" to my bet.

34 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

Having already recorded my runs (gonna be a very long upload), I can only say it's about bloody time you finished behind me again ;) GJ ANIMA

Heh.  I actually tried to go fast on vv2.  Clearly that worked well for me ;D.

So... umm....yeah

VV1 - Dead on map one, fell into a pit and died, somehow my course managed to teleport to dry land.

VV2 - Breezed through the first 4 maps and then died anima style to a long range hell knight fireball which I guided myself into.

So bottom of the pile again :P

vvcb.zip

So, the complevel being Doom(Strict) this month, is a Vanilla style port like Crispy Doom an acceptable way to record my demo for the attempt, or should I stick with PrBoom+?

Not blind, played VV2 first. Pretty familiar with VV1; much less so with VV2 but I remember it from some TNS session years ago so I had a general idea of what to expect. 

VV1 - survived in 40:43

VV2 - survived in 36:35

DWIronman_vv_Veinen.zip

Edited by Veinen

63 seconds quicker than Krypto, wow! Nicely done, I wonder how much money Cynical wants to put on his bet :P

28 minutes ago, Veinen said:

Not blind, played VV2 first. Pretty familiar with VV1; much less so with VV2 but I remember it from some TNS session years ago so I had a general idea of what of expect. 

VV1 - survived in 40:43

VV2 - survived in 36:35

Oh Captain my captain....!

I think I may have played the original Vae Victus once before, won't know for sure until I see it. Definitely never played VV2 before, so I'll have to settle for mere survival this month. Easier to do since the dragon has already been heroically slain, of course!

Here are my demos!

VV1 - Died Map 06 (made it to map 05 in 1:16:27)

VV2 - Survived in 1:12:47

My VV1 death is pretty embarrassing, especially after my heroics of surviving Map 05. Those large cavernous maps are my absolute bane, and I hate them. Fortunately Map 07 of VV2 isn't as bad, but I definitely went into that - seeing the player start - and thinking fuck I'm gonna die like an idiot again.

One other note, as there's a hiccup in both of my runs and anyone who watches them will no doubt think "what the fuck is this idiot doing!!!". In the mastermind area of VV1 Map 04, my monitor started acting up and I had to pause the game a few times. To go with that, the BFG room (and a little afterwards) in VV2 Map 06, my keyboard inputs started to lag, which would make me move much further than I had made inputs for. Fortunately nothing serious happened there, although I'd prefer it not to careen me right into the melee attack of a Baron. THANKS FOR THAT.

edit: oh, and one final thing is that I tested maps 03 & 04 of VV1 just to make sure I was loading the fix correctly. I just IDDQD'd and BFG'd my way through it to make sure it was fine, so I didn't really pay attention too much to placement, layout and gameplay, but those two maps were not blind.

Edited by an_mutt

Extraordinary props to Veinen. Now I don't have to drag out dangerous equalization measures to make it look like everyone has a fighting chance (NOTE: equalization methods comprise carpet-bombing the DWIronman League with cyberdemons)! Also well done to mutt, despite ultimately not surviving the whole thing. A couple of good runs on the board and you've dragged yourself out of the cellar.

8 hours ago, NecrumWarrior said:

So, the complevel being Doom(Strict) this month, is a Vanilla style port like Crispy Doom an acceptable way to record my demo for the attempt, or should I stick with PrBoom+?

I'm not familiar with Crispy Doom, but just pick whatever settings most accurately align with vanilla behavior and if they can be displayed in-game before your run (assuming a stream or video recording) then be sure to display those settings. The whole 'Doom/Boom(strict)' stuff is only emboldened because zdoom derivatives are what most people rely on for broadcasting outside of prboom and so on. Port behavior is never going to line up 1:1 across the board.