Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

"Going Through Doomworld's Top Ten Infamous WADs (14 Years Later)"

I came across this on Twitter and despite my share of nerd quibbles I actually found this quite comprehensive and well researched. Of course if you're reading this you probably already know about all these WADs, but still.

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

despite my share of nerd quibbles

With this warning, I went in expecting the worst, and the first thing up is a showcase of The Sky May Be using a broken and inaccurate ZDoom recreation. Aagh, it hurts! Why? The original WAD and DeHackEd patch work just fine in ZDoom.

I thought it couldn't get any worse, but then the next segment demonstrates wow.wad in a renderer that cannot correctly render the illusio-pit. The pain! Rest assured, I was here on Doomworld within minutes to register my disgust throughout the world. Why would you do this to us, Linguica?

Edit: And he uses the Doom Wikia too? You're killing me, Lings.

Edited by Revenant100

16 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

With this warning, I went in expecting the worst, and the first thing up is a showcase of The Sky May Be using a broken and inaccurate ZDoom recreation. Aagh, it hurts! Why? The original WAD and DeHackEd patch work just fine in ZDoom.

I thought it couldn't get any worse, but then the next segment demonstrates wow.wad in a renderer that cannot correctly render the illusio-pit. The pain! Rest assured, I was here on Doomworld within minutes to register my disgust throughout the world. Why would you do this to us, Linguica?

Edit: And he uses the Doom Wikia too? You're killing me, Lings.

This sentiment has been mentioned before, but we as doom fans are destined to suffer through these sorts of things due to a myriad of nitpicky reasons, some of which you have already mentioned.  It is the curse of knowing way too much about a 20 year old video game.

Personally, I am incredibly impressed with his research and the amount of effort he put into the video, despite the nitpicky shortcomings.  The only thing I think was truly off the mark was his commentary about Gothic 99 - its poor performance at the turn of the century surely was a bad thing, but its bigger sin in my opinion was being a shining example of focusing on graphics at the expense of gameplay - even today Gothic 99 ranges from barely passable to downright unpleasant to play.

wow.wad is still the most brilliant thing ever created. Truly there is nothing that makes me say wow more than an illuso-pit.

On 02/05/2017 at 11:39 PM, Gez said:

"Linguisha"?

To be fair, I read it like this. In my language, linguiça means sausage. So me and @Negrostrike have way too much fun with that sometimes.