Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Calico 1.0 (Beta)

Will you add separate buttons for strafing in the future releases, or will the controls remain as faithful as possible (not counting mouse support)?

29 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Will you add separate buttons for strafing in the future releases

Most likely yes, since I find them being combined to be rather irritating :)

Very interesting! Any way perhaps Eternity might some day run this too? This could be the "Chocolate" version, while Eternity would have the advanced features.

51 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Controls don't work for me for some reason. I'm pressing Esc and nothing happens.

Ctrl is fire and Alt is Use

General note to users, I had to make sure my rom was named doom.jag

32 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

I can't even start the game.

Press Ctrl!!

That's... original. The readme says Esc toggles menus, so I thought that it... well, toggles the menu.

This is one of the few Doom things where a postprocessing shader would be appropriate:

C9mX7Cz.jpg

Also, holy hell, that 15 FPS cap.

Man, the input-lag is real! I'm guessing this is just how this port played back in the day.

Impressive work though! It would be sweet to put the game in full-screen mode, but I'm guessing this would require some up-scaling trickery.

Given that the player face on the statbar is supposed to display a splattered face when this happens, and the crash is about when that should show up, I guess it must have something to do with that.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:51 PM, Quasar said:

This is functionally complete except for music...

Aww, I wanted to hear "At Doom's Gate" as performed by the All Quacking Choir...

In all seriousness, this is pretty awesome. I wonder how it will affect the modding scene of JagDoom and ports based off of it (especially PSX Doom)

Oh, one other thing, any aim to support more than just Jaguar Doom, and possibly do 3DO Doom, 32X Doom, GBA Doom, etc. with this? (32X Doom already has an IWAD file you can extract via here)

32X is the lowest hanging of those fruit and would be pretty simple to emulate, to an extent at least. Doing the music is unlikely w/o an emulation library though, and the status bar would require a ton of work thanks to it being drawn as a Genesis tile layer.

GBA is viable as a future forked project, with some similar challenges. Calico can actually almost load with the GBA IWAD already, but it suffers some heap corruption when trying to start a level, which I assume is probably due to the hardcoded sprite lump numbers. Getting it functional at a basic level would be easy; getting it 100% accurate would, again, require use of extensive GBA emulator code or libraries.

There'd be no point to building a 3DO port directly on this source code, though. For that, you'd start with Burger Becky's 3DO release, and then bring in the backend stuff from here. The fact that the 3DO cell format is both extremely complicated AND poorly documented means your work is cut out for you though.

This is an impressive feat - great job. I can't play - no IWAD :(, but I know this was a ton of work. Very nice!