Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Halfblind

First Person Shooter (Hidden Gems)

Descent, Blood, Turok, Serious Sam, Painkiller, S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Hidden Gems ? Seriously?

As has been pointed out, Blood is only relevant to folks like us. It's pretty unknown otherwise. It's the only shooter that in some ways outdoes Doom.

I played the demo years ago, not as good as I remember it but fans of the band KMFDM will recognise the art work.

Next up an STE game called Substation, which I had back in the day, still got the manual kicking around somewhere, this was a great game considering the platform. skip about 3:40 into the vid to see it in action.

While technically a dungeon crawler set in an Aliens kind of universe, still a great game. For the Atari again, I had the demo for this and played the shit out of it.

And last but not least, a very guilty pleasure of mine, NAM! ok WW2gi was better but I like this, its total shite but hey...

Between the two I'd say I definitely preferred NAM to WWII GI, which is like saying I'd prefer to be shot than stabbed. WWII GI doesn't even let you use WASD without somehow breaking the controls, you have to switch to ESDF. The game is somehow more painful to play than NAM and looks worse across the board. The Platoon Leader expansion was also total BS.

5 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

Between the two I'd say I definitely preferred NAM to WWII GI, which is like saying I'd prefer to be shot than stabbed. WWII GI doesn't even let you use WASD without somehow breaking the controls, you have to switch to ESDF. The game is somehow more painful to play than NAM and looks worse across the board. The Platoon Leader expansion was also total BS.

They were both crap really as you say, however platoon leader was a step in the right direction IMO.

Nitemare 3D is another obscurity:

n3d_1.png

It's still actively sold by the developer too.

On 4/25/2017 at 5:27 PM, cyan0s1s said:

I would play it, it actually looks pretty cool. The gameplay, graphics and resolution look fluid and the overall style of the game looks well crafted. Great work for a Wolf3D clone.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:54 PM, thaquoth said:

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold.

I think this game would look great ported into a better engine. Like maybe Zdoom?

On 4/29/2017 at 8:11 PM, roadworx said:

painkiller

This game looks good. It has nice architecture and breakable environments. The enemy design is not the best but it works. The only thing that I do not like is the weapon design. Thanks for sharing.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:21 AM, Ezepov said:

Descent, Blood, Turok, Serious Sam, Painkiller, S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Hidden Gems ? Seriously?

I agree, most of these games get credited a lot on YouTube and on other Game sites. I have not heard of Painkiller until today though.

Edited by Halfblind : More quoting...

Arthur's Quest?- I don't know if this one counts as a FPS but, it is in first person. The weapons include; Excalibur, a mace, a bow and maybe a dagger. The enemy design was good, for a budget game, and some of them are not that bad. The level design was decent except for the annoying, maze-like forest levels. My sister thought it was cool.

Powerslave, ww2gi, hacx, blood 2 and Killing time *both pc and 3do*

Edited by MrD!zone

Has No One Lives Forever been mentioned?  I never beat the 2nd, but the first one was probably the best spy game I've played.
Also:  I.M. MEEN

47 minutes ago, MrD!zone said:

Powerslave, ww2gi, Rebel moon rising, hacx, blood 2 and Killing time *both pc and 3do*

I quite liked HacX from the 1.1 version I played in DOSBox three years ago, just wish it wasn't unfinished and was more realized.

Blood II is also good dumb fun, I've beaten it more times than most sane people probably have but it's strangely enjoyable at times. A bad game sure, but you can do a whole lot worse (see Chaser). I like my bad games to have personality or some redeeming factors to make up for the lack of polish.

I have actually played through Chaser a number of times, Blood 2 on the other hand I still have a single uncompleted playthrough from the course of 4-5 years which no matter how many times I have tried to pick up on I ended up dropping it again, I found it was a huge disappointment of a sequel for the first better game. Chaser I can at least appreciate for its inspiration from Total Recall.

Blood II is very short, you could beat it in a day if you were dedicated, especially on Genocide (easy) difficulty. Chaser on the other hand I had no idea how fucking long it was going to be (howlongtobeat.com said around 17 hours) which is probably because of the insane copypaste level design that goes on forever. It's all very grey and soulless slogging. Even I feel ripped off getting it for $1.74 on Steam.

But hey, different strokes for different folks, one man's trash is another man's treasure, yadda yadda.

11 hours ago, Halfblind said:
On 26.04.2017 at 3:27 AM, cyan0s1s said:

I would play it, it actually looks pretty cool. The gameplay, graphics and resolution look fluid and the overall style of the game looks well crafted. Great work for a Wolf3D clone.

Free game

Free game 2

Edited by Ezepov

16 hours ago, cyan0s1s said:

which is probably because of the insane copypaste level design that goes on forever. It's all very grey and soulless slogging.

But hey, different strokes for different folks, one man's trash is another man's treasure, yadda yadda.

Kind of like Magic and Mayhem. The same handful of levels were packaged in there like 20 times. It was like playing the same level over and over again but sandwiched between 2 other levels that you have not played before.

@Ezepov Gun Gods and 8 Bit Killer look rather nice for a Wolf3D clone. Thanks for sharing them.

Hacx definitely is an interesting "TC" but some of the... choices are beyond horrible, especially that one enemy that is poorly rendered CGI model of a woman that turns into... a gargoyle or something.

On 4/26/2017 at 2:54 PM, Halfblind said:

A few more FPS games that I remember include:

1. Area 51 - I remember this game being relatively fun to play. It had some great single player moments. This was one of the first games to use 'high def' graphics and also had realistic breaking glass. Due to the games focus on graphics fidelity the graphics were impressive back then but today it is less than desirable.
  2. Pariah - This game looked really good in the YouTube videos. Upon playing it on the Xbox the graphics aren't that impressive. The single player is full of glitches some of which cannot be avoided. One mission, where you are on a drop-ship, is very difficult and has an extreme lack of checkpoints making the mission even more difficult. I still haven't been able to finish that mission. The MPlayer DM is actually reasonably fun. The game also had an in-game map editor to where you can alter a few pre-made maps.
  3. Darkwatch - This game had a great story and was actually really fun at times. It had a rather nice decision system to where you can choose to do the good thing or choose to do the bad thing. If you choose more bad than good, and vice-versa, there was a different boss at the end of the game. The MPlayer DM was not all that impressive.
  4. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force - This game was actually rather nice. It was set on Voyager while it was stuck in the Delta Quadrant somewhere in season 6. The single player story was well thought up and executed. While the single player was good the real fun was playing against bots in the Holomatch. There you can shoot up your favorite voyager cast members. Cast members that include Janeway, Paris, Checotay, Seven of Nine and even the main protagonist Monroe.
  5. Star Trek: Elite Force 2 - Apparently Monroe and Jerot were stationed on the Enterprise before they went to the Delta Quadrant with Janeway. When they got back they were stationed again on the enterprise to continue their Hazard team adventure. This game had some good single player missions but they were overshadowed by the pathetic mission 6. In that mission the Enterprise was attacked and boarded and it was your responsibly to stop it. This mission was hard and had some really bad moments which include sitting in a turret mounted to the bottom side of the Enterprise's hull and shooting down enemies before they blow up the ship. It tried too hard, it even tried to be a Doom clone because it had a BFG style weapon at the end of the single player campaign. The MPlayer was not as fun as the original game. The one thing that disappointing me the most is the complete lack of standard cast members from Star Trek: TNG. I really was hoping to get the opportunity to shoot up Picard, Riker, and Worf. It was just one more disappointment in a game that already disappointed me.

Elite Force 2 was set after Voyager's Return to the Alpha Quadrant and After Star Trek: Nemesis.

My favorite "Unknown" shooter was Strife, I found it 100 times better then Hexen.

Dredd vs Death - Overlooked in a lot of ways due to it being a budget licensed game, It shines in a lot of areas and ended up being a lot of fun. The arrest mechanic is pretty cool.

Will Rock - Derided for being a Serious Sam clone, I gave it a chance and was pleasantly surprised to find that this game offered a lot of cool, sort of unique weapons, a pretty diverse bestiary to murder and some pretty nice architecture.

Delta Force 2.

It was one of the first games I played online. The maps were huge, and you could literally lay in the brush and snipe to your hearts content and no one would see you.

47 minutes ago, ArcheKruz said:

Will Rock - Derided for being a Serious Sam clone, I gave it a chance and was pleasantly surprised to find that this game offered a lot of cool, sort of unique weapons, a pretty diverse bestiary to murder and some pretty nice architecture.

I find that when the worst complaint people can level against a game is "just a clone of game X", the game in question usually isn't half bad.

Blood 2 isn't a hidden gem. It deserves every ounce of flak it got. Blood 1 managed to survive the rushed release shit, But the 2nd time it backfired horribly.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:54 PM, ArcheKruz said:

This game looks pretty cool. I had a blast playing Serious Sam and this game looks no different. In the videos the shotgun looks like it shoots and reloads faster than the ones in Serious Sam and that is a good thing.

On 5/4/2017 at 4:44 PM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

I find that when the worst complaint people can level against a game is "just a clone of game X", the game in question usually isn't half bad.

Isn't Serious Sam like a parody game anyways. It pokes fun at Doom, Heretic, Wolf3D, Duke Nukem and other games like them. Even more so in the Gold/Xbox edition where you can collect hidden treasure along your way. I too think that a game should be reviewed by its own merits and not by what games it reminds the reviewer about and what games that it is similar to. I have seen a lot of great games get really bad reviews because of that preconception.

Edited by Halfblind

The Elite Force games are great but they tend to be pretty imbalanced on their higher difficulty levels.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:37 PM, Phoenix said:

After the developer issued the demo, they went out of business. The enemies are top notch for one, very sad the game never seen the light of day.

So what you are saying is that Fate had a bad fate. How ironic...

On my computer I remember playing Lands of Lore : Guardians of Destiny. Even though it mostly has an adventure theme, the action scenarios where good. Also, one game I though was well made was Cyber-Cop for the Sega Genesis.

jaquette-lands-of-lore-guardians-of-destiny-pc-cover-avant-g-1313588710.jpg

Cyber-Cop_-_1992_-_Virgin_Interactive.jpg