Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Favorite Guitar Riff fest!

Guitar riffs are what legendary bands are made of.  What are some of your favorites?  Let's get a riff-fest going.

Spoiler alert, I am going to share a Black Sabbath video.  That probably comes as a shock to many of you.

The main riff to this song is extra awesome sounding live.

When it comes to guitar-playing, I've always been much more of a rhythm oriented person. In this regard, Dino Cazares of Fear Factory has been a very early inspiration to me when it comes to heavy and brutal sounding rhythm guitar. Before that point, I've only been exposed to guitars the likes of Nirvana, Metallica and a couple of others.

Here's one of my favorite riffs from their more recent stuff:

Fear Factory has always been that band that I always forget I like.  Have you heard the vocalist's work with Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath) on the GZR (Butler's side project) Album "Black Science"?  If not, I strongly suggest you check out the track "Mysterons".  

Oh so many to choose from!

I'm not even gonna choose one from Marilyn Manson cause that would be obvious, plus it would take me for ever to pick one...

So here's the next best thing

(Yes I know it's Daisy Berkowitz (co-founder and original guitarist of MM) playing guitar, but this was made 18 years after he left the band)

That moment when every single song in a thread kicks ass

Gotta get some Zappa in there, naturally :^)

Edit: Cant forget one of NIN's face-meltingest riffs!

Pretty much everything from 80s Megadeth songs. Sometimes I am thinking of "Killing is my Bussiness as Megadeth would do" midi project, cause they have a lot of tasty riffs but I already know those songs from memory :D

@Seidolon Already know this, I like when it stops in the middle and then is the guitar-only for a while

Waaayyyyy too many to list, but I'll start off with these two. 

Impossible to pick a favorite, but this is certainly up there for me. Huge, evil and negative. Sounds like the riff is being played backwards:

From a rap song no less

Also pretty much all of the riffs in this one

Death's album The Sound of Perseverance is pretty high on my riff-list. Bite the Pain is the one that sticks in my head the most:

Dragged Into Sunlight's Widowmaker is incredible also, highlight for me being this part @ 21:05 till the end of part2.

Edited by rehelekretep

First of all, I would like to add Iron Maiden. I pick The Trooper. Yes, I know it is one of their more famous ones and I could surely use something a bit less known, but this song means a lot to me. I use it for whenever I want to refill my batteries and it works every time.

Also, Mr Crowley, because Randy Rhoads. That is a valid reason itself. Below is a limited version I found on youtube and I love it.

Finally Nightcrawler is awesome! I would have picked Electric Eye, though Nightcrawler's riff stuck in my mind for a long while.

The "Chord of Souls" Riff from Fields of the Nephilim is just great.

Thrash is one of my favourite genres, especially for riffage - I went through a major kick between 2008-10~ listening to nothing but it and 70's Prog. I ended up settling on the late 80's era as my preferred period, with the likes of Forbidden and Coroner being my faves. These videos have intro riffs that are super distinct and totally get me pumped whenever I hear them. The entirety of Chalice of Blood is a masterclass in seguing one kick-ass riff into the next, and the entire thing owns. Greed is probably the one song more than any other that made me know I'm gonna love the shit out of a band upon first hearing any of their material. Acoustic/clean rhythm guitars in really heavy distorted riffs is my favourite thing in a metal track when done properly, and Toxik are one of the best in that business.

Not 80's Thrash, but Draped in Cerecloth by Repugnant is also great.

Also I just wanna bring up Casbah's Russian Roulette as one of the weirdest and coolest things I've come across. Mid-80s Japanese Thrash that takes about 2 minutes to get going, but once it does: holy shit. Excuse the atrocious EP cover though.

I was always a fan of Testament's work.  Alex Skolnick is one of my all time favorite guitarists.

Each for entirely different reasons 

Yeah! Manny Charlton(Nazareth) is really MIGHTY riff maker! At least it's very underrated band. It's shame! They and Budgie must be way more popular!

15 hours ago, qdash said:

Yeah! Manny Charlton(Nazareth) is really MIGHTY riff maker! At least it's very underrated band. It's shame! They and Budgie must be way more popular!

For real. Dan McCafferty should get more credit, as well. There are few singers that can maintain their range and vocal strength late into their careers, or in his case, improve technically as a singer.  Never mind the fact that the tone of his voice sounds like he sings through a dimed out, over-driven vacuum tube at all times.

I just have to say that this is easily my favorite music thread in Doomworld history, there's every variety of badass riff here!