Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mArt1And00m3r11339

Issues with Merging Textures into Wad File

I was recently working on a Doom level, and I merged sf2012-tex, cc4-tex, GOTHICTX, q1tex, and NB_RECOL into the wad file, and I am getting unknown textures after doing it. Does anyone have a solution to this issue? I would definitely appreciate your help. The errors down below may be difficult to read because the text is small.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/76yj1g6bn99b3zg/Hall_Of_Blood.zip

Unknown Textures.png

I've been meaning to tell you about further issues with Ice Rage.  There are still many missing textures and a broken switch that stops progression after that curved hallway with revenants and imps still early on.  I'd recommend testing your maps in PrBoom+ especially if they're to be boom-compat.  

Are your textures defined in the Texture1 lump? If you're merging them then you probably need to remake the texture lump to include all of them. It's the problem I had when I had issues adding textures to my wad. 

1 hour ago, loveless said:

I've been meaning to tell you about further issues with Ice Rage.  There are still many missing textures and a broken switch that stops progression after that curved hallway with revenants and imps still early on.  I'd recommend testing your maps in PrBoom+ especially if they're to be boom-compat.  

I don't see any issues with my Ice Rage level. Print out a screenshot of where you see missing textures and broken switches because I am about to quit the project and not do any further releases. Also, after the curved hallway with revenants, you go on the staircase until you hit the top one. It's in the video.

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

49 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Are your textures defined in the Texture1 lump? If you're merging them then you probably need to remake the texture lump to include all of them. It's the problem I had when I had issues adding textures to my wad. 

You may have to open it up in Slade 3 and see for yourself because I can't really describe the issue any further.

Okay well I just did and it appears that you have 5 copies of the TEXTURE1 lump in your WAD. I assume this is from wholesale merging the texture packs you're using straight into your project. Each one will be defining its own textures and the entirety of the Doom 2 textures. I don't know the ins and outs of WAD structure but my guess is that it only loads the last one in the list, meaning many textures are not being defined for the engine. I am not sure how to go about merging them besides using the function to create a TEXTURES lump while having them all highlighted, but that only works for ZDoom as far as I am aware. Someone else will have to help, I don't know a lot about texture modification.

Just now, NecrumWarrior said:

Okay well I just did and it appears that you have 5 copies of the TEXTURE1 lump in your WAD. I assume this is from wholesale merging the texture packs your using straight into your project. Each one will be defining its own textures and the entirety of the Doom 2 textures. I don't know the ins and outs of WAD structure but my guess is that it only loads the last one in the list, meaning many textures are not being defined for the engine. I am not sure how to go about merging them besides using the function to create a TEXTURES lump while having them all highlighted, but that only works for ZDoom as far as I am aware. Someone else will have to help, I don't know a lot about texture modification.

He should use one definition of TEXTURES and PNAMES or things will get weird and textures will start missing. 

5 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Okay well I just did and it appears that you have 5 copies of the TEXTURE1 lump in your WAD. I assume this is from wholesale merging the texture packs you're using straight into your project. Each one will be defining its own textures and the entirety of the Doom 2 textures. I don't know the ins and outs of WAD structure but my guess is that it only loads the last one in the list, meaning many textures are not being defined for the engine. I am not sure how to go about merging them besides using the function to create a TEXTURES lump while having them all highlighted, but that only works for ZDoom as far as I am aware. Someone else will have to help, I don't know a lot about texture modification.

That is why I have this thread up.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

He should use one definition of TEXTURES and PNAMES or things will get weird and textures will start missing. 

Yeah, I guess the map is in GZDoom format so TEXTURES should work fine.

3 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Yeah, I guess the map is in GZDoom format so TEXTURES should work fine.

If not TEXTUREx and PNAMES format,but it's almost the same. One copy of that lump and other patches should be included inside. 

19 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

If not TEXTUREx and PNAMES format,but it's almost the same. One copy of that lump and other patches should be included inside. 

I've tried copying the textures from other TEXTURE1 entries and placing them into the main TEXTURE1 but Slade 3 ended up crashing. I would love to see someone put up a tutorial on how to fix this issue.

6 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I've tried copying the textures from other TEXTURE1 entries and placing them into the main TEXTURE1 but Slade 3 ended up crashing.

Well,it's hard to explain,because english is not my first language,but I try my best as usual. 
You need one TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump. You need include outside entries(patches) between PP_START and PP_END,from all texture sets what you use here in one main lump. 

Just mark these textures and press right mouse and include in that TEXTURE lump. 

If you highlight all 5 TEXTURE1 lumps in Slade (you can do this easily by using the search function) you can right click and selece "Convert to TEXTURES" and it will create that file for you no problem. I believe that will merge them all as it creates a file much larger than any of the individual ones, but I can't say for certain.

32 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Well,it's hard to explain,because english is not my first language,but I try my best as usual. 
You need one TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump. You need include outside entries(patches) between PP_START and PP_END,from all texture sets what you use here in one main lump. 

Just mark these textures and press right mouse and include in that TEXTURE lump. 

What about the lumps between FF_START and FF_END?

6 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

What about the lumps between FF_START and FF_END?

Well,one person told that flats don't go to the TEXTURES,I don't know if he is right. 

10 hours ago, loveless said:

5c4268e724.jpg  

5c4268e724.jpg  

419a4ffa1d.jpg

Check the Ice Rage thread again. I released a new version of the level. All of the textures are in a single TEXTURE1 lump, not in separate TEXTURE1 lumps. Just to warn you though, the squares that correspond to the weapon numbers at the bottom of the status bar are missing (at least when I opened it up with Zandronum).

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

Adding textures really sucks in Doom. It should be something that's done with a single button, but for some reason all editors make it really complicated.

Here's what you can try. Get WadMerge, load it and choose the wad with your map, then all the texture wads. Hopefully it will output something that works.

9 minutes ago, Memfis said:

Adding textures really sucks in Doom. It should be something that's done with a single button, but for some reason all editors make it really complicated.

Here's what you can try. Get WadMerge, load it and choose the wad with your map, then all the texture wads. Hopefully it will output something that works.

I've tried it but I get this error.

Run-time error.png

You know what I'd do?

1. Extract each TEXTURE1 lump from each texture pack in seperate folders.

2. Extract Doom 2's TEXTURE1 lump, to serve as my base.

3. Open each TEXTURE1 lump from step 1, and copy paste the extra texture definitions into the TEXTURE1 lump from step 2.

4. Compile a new WAD using the modified TEXTURE1 lump and all the new patches.

It's a lengthy process, but still, I would get what I want in the end. Of course, I use an ancient program with a command-line-interface to do it.

BTW, flats are separate. You just include them in the correct markers and that's it. No TEXTUREX lump editing required.

13 hours ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Well,one person told that flats don't go to the TEXTURES,I don't know if he is right. 

He is correct flats definitely do not go into the TEXTURES patch it will severely fuck up the wad

I fixed it. I placed all of the textures in a single TEXTURE1 and in the PNAMES lumps. I made sure that there was one TEXTURE1 lump and one PNAMES lump. and that textures went into both of them.