Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Vae Victus 1 & 2

47 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:

I'm not familiar with Crispy Doom, but just pick whatever settings most accurately align with vanilla behavior and if they can be displayed in-game before your run (assuming a stream or video recording) then be sure to display those settings. The whole 'Doom/Boom(strict)' stuff is only emboldened because zdoom derivatives are what most people rely on for broadcasting outside of prboom and so on. Port behavior is never going to line up 1:1 across the board.

It's a fork of Chocolate so it plays very close to Vanilla by default. All less true features have to be turned on. It's supposed to be compatible with anything that can play vanilla demos. Cool beans, I've been on a bit of a kick of wanting to play some wads in a more vanilla style, and with both the Megawad Club and Ironman League on Vanilla/Limit Removing sets, what better time, amirite? 

VV1 - Dead on MAP04, and what an absolute bitch of a death it was! The whole depressing sequence starts at 55:40 and runs for a few minutes until my eventual death. Didn't have a chance of getting out of that tbh, right at the end of the map too!

VV2 - Survived in 1:04:32

Much preferred VV2 over VV1, not necessarily because of the easier difficulty, but the constant running out of ammo in VV1 was a persistent nuisance from very early on and of course, ultimately led to my demise! It did however make way for the thing that happened at 13:10, can't believe I got out of that one.

Gonna give this a shot; never played it before: https://www.twitch.tv/dobu_gm

Ate a cyber rocket in MAP05 of VV1 and never recovered. My time when I reached MAP05 was 1:04:06. Survived VV2 quite handily in a total of 1:07:09.

Didn't much like either set. The first is absolutely packed with enemies so you're constantly door camping, which—to add insult to injury—all the doors are DR so they're constantly closing on you. The second set is much better & prettier, but it's still a pretty dull shotgun-oriented affair that doesn't really do anything remarkably well. Also I lost my way in both sets which was a little aggravating at times.

Edited by dobu gabu maru

prboom-plus.exe -file .\vv.WAD .\vv1-fix.WAD -complevel 2 -nomusic -skill 4 -record .\noisy.vv1.ironman.lmp

prboom-plus.exe -file .\vv2.WAD -complevel 2 -skill 4 -nomusic -record .\noisy.vv2.ironman.lmp

vv1 dead map06, vv2 finished (dropbox link)

I played map01 of vv1 before recording.  for vv2 i just went right in.

vv1 was recorded yesterday, vv2 was recorded today.

I played hyper-cautiously, because I tend to get further that way.  I basically melted at the start of map06 vv1, a gruesome death.  I don't want to spoil more, because I want to see other people suffer the same fate.

Died on MAP06 on the first one, when I got a little too gung ho on the cliffs. Made it to the last map on #2 before I got lost and stumbled into an alcove I couldn't escape. Whoops.

ironman-gordon-vvruns.zip

I survived VV II but I died on map 1 of VV I because of some barrels (who said imps can't be dangerous?).

Ooooooh my god.

Died on VV map06 while distracted by an Archvile and didn't realize there was more than one Cyberdemon.

DNF on VV2 map07 because of that stupid fucking alcove. I had it in the bag until that un-fucking-believable bullshit.

Blah

fuck me, after all that I'm headed for the low-end of the table! Now I know how some of the Mapgame survivors must have felt D:

1 hour ago, Bashe said:

DNF on VV2 map07 because of that stupid fucking alcove. I had it in the bag until that un-fucking-believable bullshit.

Damn, you and Gordon both! That's some bad luck right there. The run isn't disqualified or anything if that's any consolation, and no one's died on map07 of vv2 yet so you can be as good as certain that you would have made it to the end. Just the one bead fewer to slide along the abacus :)

@Eris Falling Pray ye for a textbook Judge and Regretful performance.

Do we load the command line with vv1-fix.wad or we rename the vv1-fix.wad into vv.wad?

28 minutes ago, DoomLover234 said:

Do we load the command line with vv1-fix.wad or we rename the vv1-fix.wad into vv.wad?

Pretty sure vv1-fix.wad only alters the two maps, so you should need both.

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:32 PM, Alfonzo said:

1. # Survived [01:17:18] Veinen - Cynical's mortgage is the real victor, here.

Not yet -- Bloodite just has to win for the rest of the year.  I've got faith!

Right. I have played both wads before, but not for 10+ years. I re-read the wads' text files, my DSDA demos' textfiles (in the case of vv2) and the posts in this thread up to yesterday afternoon. Other than that I did no preparation; in particular I did not re-watch my demos, or anyone else's recordings.

First I did VV2. This was going okay (although much slower than my demos) until I fell in a pit of lava on map06. This turned out to be harmless, but inescapable, so I had no choice but to end the run. 72:35.

Then, VV+VV1fix. I reached map06, but ran out of health in the cave, probably trying to clear out more of it than I needed to. 82:52.

Please note: to play the VV+VV1fix demo, PrBoom+ must have reject overflow emulation turned off, otherwise it will desync on map03. Apologies for the inconvenience. I'll write a technical explanation, if required.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=77490401532282443996

Time to chime in with my two cents following all this commotion :D

I am not surprised I was surpassed at all, my final time was not an extraordinary feat beyond the grasp of mere mortals. If I were to choose an Achilles heel, my choice would be MAP06 of VV which ate up a considerable 10 minutes thanks to getting lost looking for that obnoxiously placed switch which lowers the gates to the great beyond. On the contrary I am impressed by Veinen's victory as I feel no satisfaction in continually winning a contest without the excitement of an equal rival in hot pursuit. I also do not relish the glory of being declared champion but take greater pride in overcoming arduous challenges, I am particularly proud of my performances for Khorus and BTSX.

The irony for myself is if an easier wad is chosen for Ironman, I am more likely to lose due to a higher survival to death ratio for the majority and if my peers know the wad more in depth then myself, their is a greater opportunity for closer finishing times. Where as if a gruesome wad is chosen such as Hell Revealed or Speed of Doom, wheir the chances of anyone finishing are doubtful, I have a greater chance of being declared victor due to my track record of overcoming inexorable odds.

On a side note, I am sad Anima didn't survive as I rooting for you on this one :< and I don't know whether it's hilarious or tragic that Eris surprassed you xD

4 hours ago, Cynical said:

Not yet -- Bloodite just has to win for the rest of the year.  I've got faith!

I am flattered by your unwavering faith in my ability ;)

34 minutes ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

Where as if a gruesome wad is chosen such as Hell Revealed or Speed of Doom, wheir the chances of anyone finishing are doubtful, I have a greater chance of being declared victor due to my track record of overcoming inexorable odds.

I don't think you have greater chances in those wads as they would be actually interesting to run :D and more people know them.

1 hour ago, Bloodite Krypto said:

and I don't know whether it's hilarious or tragic that Eris surprassed you xD

Hint: GJ ANIMA predates GJ ERIS by about a whole year ;)

15 hours ago, Ancalagon said:

I don't think you have greater chances in those wads as they would be actually interesting to run :D and more people know them.

So you don't try if the wad is boring :s even if you know the wad more, do you have the skill to beat the whole thing on 1 life :D

VV1 -- let's pretend this never happened, map02

VV2 -- I was in a bit of a hurry, so pretty much intentionally killed myself in map05... I was doing so well dammit! But hey, not last.

Pretty much FDAs.

dwiron_vv_bzzrak.zip

3 hours ago, Alfonzo said:

There's a pretty easy way to find out.

Confirmed -- next month, Alfonzo is making a custom episode out of eaxt, NoChance, Okuplok, and Italo-Doom.

Just a warning: the exit linedef in VV2 map05 can be skipped hilariously easy, which is a DNF, since you are stuck in the sky box with no way to get out, so be careful with straferunning into it I guess. Discovered while routing a maxrun for this. :D 

Actually, the 2-map approach is kinda good.  The pain of dying is spread out between two mapsets.  Now, if you die on Map01, you at least get another shot to accumulate points rather than being totally wrecked, and you don't have to wait a whole month for your next try just because you squandered one.

Also, it leaves open room for harder/slaughtery mapsets.  You could even pair a short easy mapset with a short slaughter mapset, I suppose.

The mapsets sound vaguely familiar but I haven't played these before.

Played each set for 10 minutes before recording, which was enough to complete the first map on vv2.  Otherwise blind.  I also recall warnings about tight ammo which I solve through copious infights and skipping monsters when I feel safe to.

Bleh.  Both deaths were from things I feel I could survive.  They're also very plain, nothing spectacular like my Legacy of Heroes attempt.

My Final Fight on vv1 came on map 2: riddled with bullets while my SSG was reloading..  Maybe SSGMaster would have overcome the situation that ended up killing me with the same health/armor/ammo parameters but I am no SSG master

I thought I died the earliest of the pack on vv2 with a map 4 pelt.  Well, I made it to the plasma gun OK but only got a little farther before croaking.  Maybe I could have survived the cacodemon bolt that snuffed me out had I gone back for the armor at the start but I, uh kinda forgot about it.

PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.4 -complevel 2

dwiron_vvseries_cnr.zip

hello!!! I've never done this before and I've never played these wads, so this was (apart from looking at deaths in two of the videos) entirely blind.

I had a lot of fun and I think I did really well!!

I died on map01 of vv1 and on map04 of vv2. that's a highscore right? this is like golf, correct?

ironbon_vaevictus.zip

Spoiler

the reason i died on map01 of vv1 was because i saw that death where the person got blown the heck up by some barrels when an imp blew them up, so i tried avoiding that when i saw them, completely ignoring my health and the damaging floor below me ;~;

and on map04 of vv2 i got beaned and also helplessly lost a lot the whole heckin wad was like a big frickin maze ;~;

It's been a few years for these, but they're still fun. Except, who in the fuck puts blocking hanging bodies about 2 or 3 hundred units up in the middle of a damn battlefield?!?! Gaaawh

Survived VV2 in 50:49, was the funner of the two. VV is a different story. Totally slapped around by Malcolm and Dumont (I think) of map 06, with the actual kill from Alfalfa the Archvile. ...No? Maybe I should leave the naming to the certified name distibutors. Anyway, the last 20 seconds or so of the video is just outstanding, if'n I do say so meself.

...Off topic, but I used to play doom fairly slowly with lots of saves. Running around fast with no saves is damn fun, though I think I can feel my blood pressure skyrocketing when near death. Exhilarating!

...and I just noticed I accidentally "cheated" by using the wrong hud in the second one. Motherfuuuuuck, better luck next month

Okey dokey, thanks for that, Mr. Falling. Thought I really screwed myself for awhile there

Edited by Octavarium : when will I learn to not do stupid shit?

26 minutes ago, Octavarium said:

...and I just noticed I accidentally "cheated" by using the wrong hud in the second one. Motherfuuuuuck, better luck next month

Nah it's ok, I always use that HUD. You don't really gain a significant advantage from it, though it's nice to know how many monsters are left.

well, i just had the worst possible thing happen.

mid attempt of VV1 Map03 i couldn't open a door. i think i must have not loaded the fix wad? i swear i did because i have them right next to each other in a folder. i saved and exited while recording and then came back with the fix wad loaded and now the map is all broken. so i'm not sure what to do now. i could just say i ended the run there but that's kind of a shitty way to end it and i haven't cheated or done anything wrong up to this point.

edit: okay, this is weird. i just went back to my save and loaded the fix wad with vv1 again and the door wouldn't open this time. wtf?

Edited by ella guro

@ella guro I didn't think you'd be able to load a save game as part of the same demo recording in complevels other than 9, or were you recording a video? In any case, you'll need to make sure that vv1-fix.wad is loaded after vv.wad. The fix file includes replacement versions of map03 and map04.

I hadn't actually considered what I might do if someone plays without the fix and runs into this issue. I suppose it should result in a DNF (so it will, in future) but on this occasion, as with the last, I hadn't specified in the rule set what to do in this situation so it's the old benefit of the doubt, again!

i have it on video including the glitch i encountered which i can upload. i just dragged and dropped the two wad files onto zdoom so i felt like it should load them in the same order but i guess it does or doesn't depending on how i select them? weird. i'm pretty much stuck at this point and either have to noclip without the fix or just make a new attempt. i'd rather just DNF instead of doing a new attempt though, it just sucks because i didn't die or anything.