Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

If you had an idea for a doommonster what would it be like?

A 1 meter tall while+blue robot with electro-shocking melee attack and exploding on death.

We already went over this and I think my previous answer was ghost-monster revenant that resurrect corpses as revenants, turns ammo and health pickups into revenants and spawns three revenants on death. Also the occasional homing missile is a PE style spawning of a revenant, homing to your position.

A female pinky, bigger than the original.She would be slightly sexy looking, but our original pinky would cower in fear if she roared at him.And maybe a caco nearby would first look surprised then start snickering.too bad the Doom monster maker was never finished.....*sigh*

Edited by grouchbag

3 hours ago, RightField said:

We already went over this and I think my previous answer was ghost-monster revenant that resurrect corpses as revenants, turns ammo and health pickups into revenants and spawns three revenants on death. Also the occasional homing missile is a PE style spawning of a revenant, homing to your position.

Is is a Pain Revenant or a Revenant Elemental?

A new beholder/floating head enemy that fires three projectiles, one at you, one to the left of you, and another to your right.

I wished that in e4e8 that it had a new bosstype enemy that was more difficult to beat instead of the spider master mind again

- A 300 hp hitscanner similar to chaingunner, but shots at slower firerate, has very low pain-change and takes more time to charge up.

- A weak low-priority fast moving foe which shots a very slow but also very big projectile with purpose of area denial.

A new boss. I always thought a super-archvile or super-revenant would make a good boss. Beef up the HP, design a new hard-hitting attack that is still a homage to the original, maybe throw in some peripheral monsters to the arena...

FTR, I am aware that Valiant has a super-archvile boss, but still haven't played it. :-\

32 minutes ago, terrcraftguy695 said:

I wished that in e4e8 that it had a new bosstype enemy that was more difficult to beat instead of the spider master mind again

I wish hub 4 of Hexen had a new bosstype instead of the Heresiarch again.

A boss demon which has 10,000 HP. Maybe something like this, but a new boss fight wouldn't hurt.

this demon is immune to every weapon with the exception of one which changes throughout the battle. this is indicated by the color of the demon which changes. The legend is:

Blue = plasma

Red = Rockets - same damage as against a Cyberdemon/Mastermind

Green = BFG (but the demon still takes less damage than usual)

Brown = bullets and/or fist (zerker). Demon takes extra from this.

Yellow = shells.

Attacks with:

Fireballs similar to Chthon's from Quake. These are guided and explode on impact - hitting similar to a rocket. Same speed as a revenant rocket. As HP decreases, more are fired.

The floor lights up gradually with a one second grace period when fully lit. The area explodes and anyone caught in the square takes heavy damage. No splash damage if you are outside the lit area.

At 50%

Hitscan-like gaze. Sort of like a medusa attack which rapidly damages you if you are caught looking at the demon.

Minions. 500 HP each. Demon is invulnerable while they are alive. After a set amount of time, the demon absorbs their energy and heals by the amount of HP they have left. This process kills the minions. At higher difficulties, they can only be damaged by what the demon is weak against.

At 25%

The demon gains an instant attack attack which fills the room with the energy of Hell instantly tormenting the player to eternal damnation (in other words, killing him). There is a safe spot which protects you from the attack (changes each instance) but parts of the floor will light up and the player will take moderate damage if this is crossed. There are also obstacles which must be shot in order for the player to go through. The difficulty setting will determine how much time the player has until the attack. Finally, there are some squares marked with skulls which instantly trigger the attack, killing the player.

3 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

A boss demon which has 10,000 HP. Maybe something like this, but a new boss fight wouldn't hurt.

Hide contents

this demon is immune to every weapon with the exception of one which changes throughout the battle. this is indicated by the color of the demon which changes. The legend is:

Blue = plasma

Red = Rockets - same damage as against a Cyberdemon/Mastermind

Green = BFG (but the demon still takes less damage than usual)

Brown = bullets and/or fist (zerker). Demon takes extra from this.

Yellow = shells.

Attacks with:

Fireballs similar to Chthon's from Quake. These are guided and explode on impact - hitting similar to a rocket. Same speed as a revenant rocket. As HP decreases, more are fired.

The floor lights up gradually with a one second grace period when fully lit. The area explodes and anyone caught in the square takes heavy damage. No splash damage if you are outside the lit area.

At 50%

Hitscan-like gaze. Sort of like a medusa attack which rapidly damages you if you are caught looking at the demon.

Minions. 500 HP each. Demon is invulnerable while they are alive. After a set amount of time, the demon absorbs their energy and heals by the amount of HP they have left. This process kills the minions. At higher difficulties, they can only be damaged by what the demon is weak against.

At 25%

The demon gains an instant attack attack which fills the room with the energy of Hell instantly tormenting the player to eternal damnation (in other words, killing him). There is a safe spot which protects you from the attack (changes each instance) but parts of the floor will light up and the player will take moderate damage if this is crossed. There are also obstacles which must be shot in order for the player to go through. The difficulty setting will determine how much time the player has until the attack. Finally, there are some squares marked with skulls which instantly trigger the attack, killing the player.

Some interesting ideas here, particularly the bit about the minions. I guess my only objection is that it doesn't feel like Doom. I don't really like it when the game dictates to me which weapon to use at any time -- it should be possible to kill anything with anything, so that the player has the freedom to choose when to conserve certain types of ammo, etc.

Also the multi-phase thing is exactly what felt wrong with the Doom 4 Hell Guards, and the "environmental manipulation" attacks are what was wrong with the Doom 4 cyberdemon and SMM.

A Spectre's "commander" so to speak. Very quick, invisible, taller than a revenant, and gets healed by plasma-based weapons and the BFGs, so using shotguns and chainguns are a must with this guy (rocket launcher too if you know how to whip it out and point properly). Would use a plasma sword or a claw at intermediate to close distance (to chase out players from holes he cannot step into), and chomps you down with his own teeth when close. I see him being used as rarely as a archvile, since he is the master predator, but not good at long ranges nor provides much support.

I call it the Stalker because that sounds like something the guys from the Ideas from the Dip would use as a name.

Looks something like this.

Spoiler

fishy.png.8716eb82d2e1b23d42fd1a572ecf344a.png

Basically a demonical techno-pirahna that can even run on land (and dangerous up front).

1 hour ago, 42PercentHealth said:

Some interesting ideas here, particularly the bit about the minions. I guess my only objection is that it doesn't feel like Doom. I don't really like it when the game dictates to me which weapon to use at any time -- it should be possible to kill anything with anything, so that the player has the freedom to choose when to conserve certain types of ammo, etc.

Also the multi-phase thing is exactly what felt wrong with the Doom 4 Hell Guards, and the "environmental manipulation" attacks are what was wrong with the Doom 4 cyberdemon and SMM.

The problem with DOOM is that the original bosses (especially the mastermind) were so easily killed by the BFG. You can literally go up to the Spiderdemon and hug it with a direct BFG hit and kill it in one shot.

A flying archvile mini-boss with fiery wings and hair. He'd land dealing an aoe blast then cast the normal archvile spell repeatedly but less damaging until you run out of sight. And has one of 2 death animations the mapper chooses; Dying violently or teleports D'sparil style so mapper can use another while giving the player the "oh shit it isn't dead yet" feeling.

Just now, Pure Hellspawn said:

The problem with DOOM is that the original bosses (especially the mastermind) were so easily killed by the BFG. You can literally go up to the Spiderdemon and hug it with a direct BFG hit and kill it in one shot.

True, but at least they were usable outside of the arena where they were originally used. Mappers can spice up any fight by placing SMMs and cybers in strategic locations. The same can't be said of Cthon, or the Doom 4 bosses, because their fight patterns are dependent upon the arenas the original developers placed them in. Change the setting, and you have to change fundamental aspects of the fight.

I honestly think the Heretic bosses strike a pretty good balance of attack variety vs. versatility. The maulotaurs, for instance, have a handful of attacks, but none of them prevent their use in the following episodes as regular enemies.

Of course, this is just the opinion of one guy on the internet. I like monsters to be versatile, but there's nothing inherently "wrong" about the boss fight as you described it. If all I knew about a WAD/mod was your description of the boss fight, I would not be motivated to play it. If, however, the WAD/mod was highly acclaimed for its difficulty, interesting encounters, level design, etc., then I probably would play it.

1 hour ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

But you didn't realize that the first time you've ever played Doom, did you? We all were scared of the bosses back then...

It would be a turret exactly like in rf's wad "Mapgame" . (see at 35:28)

I always thought doom needed an ultimate boss monster unlike the icon of sin which is just a wall.

Doom needs a Grim Reaper type monster that can move around like the dark bishops in hexen , shoot out projectiles and could perhaps teleport around to melee hit you.

22 minutes ago, Unholypimp1n said:

I always thought doom needed an ultimate boss monster unlike the icon of sin which is just a wall.

Doom needs a Grim Reaper type monster that can move around like the dark bishops in hexen , shoot out projectiles and could perhaps teleport around to melee hit you.

So, kind of like Death in many of the old Castlevania games. That might work, though maybe not as a final boss.

22 minutes ago, Ichor said:

So, kind of like Death in many of the old Castlevania games. That might work, though maybe not as a final boss.

Right, I suppose it would have to be the second-to-last boss of every game in the series :)

The problem with the Icon of Sin (in story terms) is that it sets a precedent that no Cyberdemon-sized monster can top. It's so big, so imposing, and so powerful/challenging (at least in theory -- individual setups may vary) that the only way to one-up it is to create another architectural "monster" that's even larger and shoots even more monsters and is even harder to kill. Various wads have done this (Plutonia 2, UAC Ultra, etc.), and it has just further enforced the idea that an individual monster isn't really powerful enough to be "the ultimate boss" of Doom.

The idea has been floated that Hell itself is the boss -- that it's some sort of cosmically huge godlike organic being, where every Hell level is just some small piece of its surface/interior, and the demons are maybe analogous to white blood cells or something of that nature. This makes a lot of sense to me personally.

I do think it's always nice to see new boss monsters in Doom, though. I like boss fights, and that niche rarely gets filled in Doom megawads.

@Not Jabba, you make an interesting point. I had not considered that the lack of custom Doom bosses could be due to an inability to make something more "impressive" than the Baphomet. This is kinda sad, because the Baphomet is not actually all that impressive from a gameplay perspective -- it's really quite trivial. It's not hard to make tougher, more dangerous, and more intricate bosses, which is what really matters.

Personally, I've come to prefer Scythe-like endings (just a mega-sized fight with all the same monsters) over a proper boss fight, mostly because I'm tired of the same-old Baphomet ending to each megaWAD.

How to make a monster more interesting and more challenging to fight?

Let its projectiles fly around and occasionally miss the standing player, kinda like the invis sphere does. It makes it harder to dodge, not because of the outcome, per se (seriously, are monsters automatically more fun to fight and more challenging just because their damage output is increased?), but because of the small factor of a unpredictability.

Seriously, every goddamn custom monster just fires straight at the players position. Bunch of monsters who try and replicate bullet hell games' worth of projectile and have the player suck each and every one of them can all just be negated by walking slowly by the side. I mean, I get it, the monster is tough because his slow fireball can fry 100 hp, but does it automatically mean its is harder to fight him, even with increased health? Nah, these kinds of fights are like those math assignments that are supposed to look extremely tough and hard, but just need a longer time solving (imp is 2+2, super dark lord nightmare fire water ice imp lvl 30 is just 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2). We need to mix up the equation people! And not by just adding tracking projectiles, that is just washed out.

I mean what is the point of advanced enemies? To be bullet sponges or be an actual threat?

7 minutes ago, Battle_Kirby said:

I mean what is the point of advanced enemies? To be bullet sponges or be an actual threat?

The point of new enemies is to give the game a fresh, new flavor. Since the bigger, better, badder slow-moving fireball of the super dark lord nightmare fire water ice imp lvl 30 is just as easy to dodge as that of the vanilla imp, he adds nothing to the game. What you need is something that the game lacks right now. Like a BFG-toting or grenade-lobbing boss.

Could we have an electric guitar (axe-shaped one), that swings itself towards the player for melee, or does damage from a distance by soloing? 

If so, we could add a dumb backstory, like the following: <<The reanimated Spider Mastermind found some human made items in Doomguy's home town, before he could return (on Doom 2) and it took them quickly back to Hell (this way Doomguy didn't know about the existence of another SMM yet), where the Icon of Sin would choose the perfect item to make into a trustworthy soldier. It seems the Icon picked the coolest of the bunch, which is the guitar and after a few moments he breaths corrupt life onto the guitar. The result? A fierce warrior with an otherworldy essence that can easily face even the most battle hardened humans to have ever lived on Earth (luckily Doomguy is stronger than every demon that is created in Hell).>>

Or maybe a double personality humanoid demon with an honor system. In this case, the demon would be friendly to Doomguy and provide him with help throughout his run, should he choose to be a Pacifist. But, if Doomguy fires even a single shot from his weapons (fists don't necessarily count), the demon will give Doomguy Hell. Like, he would start to scratch him with its claws or act as a mage that teleports random enemies on the battlefield (like a siren). Of course he wouldn't be able to call the bigger guys from Hell like Cybies, SMMs, or AVs (maybe we could keep Arch-viles) and he could be like a glass cannon. Great damage, but lower hit points and a mini-shield, if he seems to die way too easily. (inspiration taken from the Arch-vile and Strife's friendly NPCs)

3 minutes ago, 42PercentHealth said:

A cyberdemon that fires hitscan rockets.

Oh God, what a monstrosity would this be. Great idea though! It would be hilarious seeing 10 Cybies or more firing a legion of rockets that hunt the player down. Hope it wouldn't lag though.  :)