Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyrez

Resident Evil - Dark Apocalypse

work is continuing on RE-DA in the mean time i have posted 3 prelimb screenshots on the site.

i also need some input on map01, the movie shows very little of the inside of the mansion so i may be forced to use the decore and design from the games. your opinions on this would be a great help

bigbadgangsta said:

WOW, COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT IS FUN!!! Heh, anyway, looks sweet, keep it up.

SO IS STEALING FISH!!!

bigbadgangsta said:

WOW, COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENT IS FUN!!! Heh, anyway, looks sweet, keep it up.

actualy i was meaning florplan layout not graphics and things :/

Cyrez said:

Howzat?

Cyrez said:

Even the name Resident Evil is copyrighted, so are the characters and aspects of the game, like "Umbrella Corporation" and stuff like that. Therefore, you are breaking their copyrights.

bigbadgangsta said:

Even the name Resident Evil is copyrighted, so are the characters and aspects of the game, like "Umbrella Corporation" and stuff like that. Therefore, you are breaking their copyrights.

0h gn0 they'll put him in jail.

You could change the names a little like: "Evil Resident" and "UMCOR". That way everyone will know the intension and it`s legal.

Also "Dark Apocalypse" is kinda a weird name... it`s not like there is something as a bright Apocalypse. The Apocalypse is the darkest of days... dark.

Cyrez said:

i have posted 3 prelimb screenshots on the site.

Nice, moody atmosphere.

i also need some input on map01, the movie shows very little of the inside of the mansion so i may be forced to use the decore and design from the games. your opinions on this would be a great help

Depends on what you're going for. If you're trying to replicate the site design from the movie then you may be out of luck (if the movie is of little help). You've pointed out that using the design from the games is an alternative. What do you see as the negatives of this? (E.g., it does not replicate the design or feel of the movie, it sucks, etc.) If it has no negatives, then what's the problem with using the game's design?

A third alternative is to build your map completely from scratch. You can put in your own creativity and possibly come up with a map that might be more fun than a replica of the movie or game.

bigbadgangsta said:

This is true, hmm, well if they sue me over a doom wad they need the money more than me I guess, more power to them. :)

Rex said:

Nice, moody atmosphere.

Thanks, that was the plan and it has some real eerie music to go with it :)

Depends on what you're going for. If you're trying to replicate the site design from the movie then you may be out of luck (if the movie is of little help). You've pointed out that using the design from the games is an alternative. What do you see as the negatives of this? (E.g., it does not replicate the design or feel of the movie, it sucks, etc.) If it has no negatives, then what's the problem with using the game's design?

A third alternative is to build your map completely from scratch. You can put in your own creativity and possibly come up with a map that might be more fun than a replica of the movie or game.

Well I have weighed all the choices and decided to create my own layout. This wad is designed for the experienced player in mind, starts out hard and just gets harder :)

Cyrez said:

Well I have weighed all the choices and decided to create my own layout. This wad is designed for the experienced player in mind, starts out hard and just gets harder :)

That's probably the best way, as there's not much of the mansion seen in the film. A good way is to imagine what the rest of the mansion looks like and translate that into your layout. (then you can say it was inspired by the RE film)

It says on the FAQ that trademark symbols/copyright logos are not allowed into the 3d archives, so I don't know what Ty would think about the title of your map. The best thing to do would be to ask him. If you want/need to change it, 'Residual Evil' or 'Residing Evil' are quite close to the original title. (but I don't know if they're copyrighted or not)

Ultimate DooMer said:

If you want/need to change it, 'Residual Evil' or 'Residing Evil' are quite close to the original title.

How about 'President of Evil' or 'Resident Idiot' or 'Recidivist Evil' or 'Resist the Evil'? (Just kidding -- I couldn't resist that one, even though I think the project looks and sounds great so far.)

Well I have weighed all the choices and decided to create my own layout.

Good for you. I'm sure it'll be great.

Hiya.

Ok, here's some basic info on copyright and whatnot.

---"Even the name Resident Evil is copyrighted, so are the characters and aspects of the game, like "Umbrella Corporation" and stuff like that. Therefore, you are breaking their copyrights"---

Names can NOT be copyrighted. They can be Trademarked, IIRC. That being said, you could create something and call it "Resident Evil"; but if what you create is "a video game where the player runs around in a spooky environment fighting zombies"...you you are in trouble. But if you create "a short story centering around a truckstop where a few people get caught in a snowstorm...and one of them is a serial killer"...you're fine.

The same thing goes for "Umbrella Corporation". If you make a doom wad that takes place in a big multi-level complex that produces Umbrellas, you're ok...but as soon as you make it into a secret military base, etc....you're heading into the Infringment Zone.

Copyrights, however, are starting to REALLY go in favor of the big corporations (if you're interested in seeing just how screwed all of us are becoming, check out eff.org ).

That all being said, it is obvious that you are making a "doom version" of the Resident Evil video game. As RE and DOOM are both video games, simply "changing the names" isn't going to cut it. What could happen is you could be sued for "Trademark Dilution" (basically, 'confusing the general populace'). Another thing might be that everything you create for a RE-DOOM TC could/would likely be considered a "derivative work"; meaning that whomever owns the RE 'game/thing', could sue your and then get ALL your hard work...and then release it on their own, without giving you any credit at all.

At anyrate...uh, why make a DOOM-RE game when I can just go play RE? Seems a bit wierd/pointless to me.

Actually, CAPCOM the company who own the rights to resident Evil, don't mind people making Mods of RE as long as they are not for sale and are distributed freely.

If you want to see a RE mod that's been in business for over 2 years, without legal problems, then check out http://www.planethalflife.com/rete

i got a bit confused, now you got two threads on the same thing, oh well, you can ask for permission, capcom are usually ok with things like that, if you get it i say definatly use the game version of the mansion, from what i can tell, the film mansion is the same as the game on anyway!

Looking very nice Cyrez!

I've put your site in my Links Section, hope you don't mind. There's also a link to another RE mod there, if you're interested in checking it out.

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this project to see where it goes ;)

thank you, i will do the same for you :)

it's comming along good but map01 is one of the bigest maps in the wad so it is taking some time to get it just right :)

pming said:

That all being said, it is obvious that you are making a "doom version" of the Resident Evil video game. As RE and DOOM are both video games, simply "changing the names" isn't going to cut it. What could happen is you could be sued for "Trademark Dilution" (basically, 'confusing the general populace'). Another thing might be that everything you create for a RE-DOOM TC could/would likely be considered a "derivative work"; meaning that whomever owns the RE 'game/thing', could sue your and then get ALL your hard work...and then release it on their own, without giving you any credit at all.

Then what about some Q2-ish maps (weapons, walls, sounds. everything else brand spankin new.)

This is a tc for doom2 Capcom does not mind people doing this as it gives people an encentiv to play RE, therefor boosting Capcoms sales :) all that they ask is that you don't stray to far from there storyline. but as i have said this is based of the movie, not the game. therefore there are different rules. so let me just say that i have the permision required and leave it at that.

BTW, E1m1 is almost complete :)
I will post new screenshots tonight or tomarrow.

Xanthier said:

I can't wait to play your TC, wish i could help ;)

I wish it was done, lol :)
No it's comming along good I just started on map2 yesterday and will have some new screenshots up tonight i hope.

as for help, i'll take any i can get :)

Do you have any port in mind?

If you're going for a horror type theme (and if it's RE you probably are), might i serggest the you find a way to slow the player down a bit? since zombies can really only attack at close range.

Cyrez said:

as for help, i'll take any i can get :)

with like what for example? I'm sure you can think of several things

Xanthier said:

with like what for example? I'm sure you can think of several things

Well the main thing i need help with is Sprites. I have most of the textures i need and the weapons are done but when it comes to monster sprites i'm lacking :/

DooMBoy said:

When can we expect a demo, Cyrez?

Demo, hmm
i would say beginning of next month, that gives me ample time to finish hub1 and work most of the bugs out. :)