Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Oxyde

0-x CTF :: The CTF wad that will likely never be

Salut à tous!

I wanted to keep this thing as secret as possible and release if once I felt confident enough with the quality of the project, but I'm completely unable to stop myself from showing stuff, I'm helpless!

0-X CTF is definitely a vanilla 32-maps megawad where you fight monsters!
The goal I have for this wad, is to make 10 maps with a unique theme for each, and making them as fun to play as possible. I have currently 2 maps fully playable, and the third one is currently blocked since 2015 because my initial layout did not work at all, and I'm not stuck a hel finished blue base and no idea on how to proceed...

But enough talk, time to give your eyes some candy !

Map01 - Sea-Side Station

CTF-20170506-155227.png.62c33dbc553f96b1ca9d2ec9947362a7.png

CTF-20170506-155255.png.1d3342b8c6b45f3b20b31bb6c5375802.png

Map02 - Sunrise

CTF-20170506-155326.png.0ba8f9e83bce0c870c1c4d6e698a1649.png

CTF-20170506-155346.png.b7cee733975a3bfcff719b33ecde0dc8.png

Map03 - dataDyne CTF Inc.

CTF-20170506-155405.png.35f8a1cc80698079f50648fe4a29c318.png

CTF-20170506-155417.png.400a874db861017d4dfa73c4d700613a.png

I'm saying it will likely never be because I have kinda lost the will to move on with this, and Map02 was shown in a much better version around here for ChaosCore CTF 2 Map30.

Why sharing this since it's unfinished and I'm saying I will likely never do it?
Why not. :)

Anyways, Oxyde out!

That's ok lots of people don't finish projects even 9 years later

The visual quality for CTF maps looks top-tier, I'd like to try map01 out in some good 3v3 settings though. Is map01 geared for private or public play?

Guest Unregistered account

If I saw this on a server, I'd probably never leave!

Maybe that green carpet in the first screenshot could be team-coloured, but that's just my idea~

Ahh, open water in map01... I'll assume it's insta-death. Aren't you afraid of glitches in the pacing if the flag falls into it?

Iirc, Zandronum instantly returns flags that fall into instant death sectors, and sectors can also be marked to auto-return flags even without instant death.

Is that a cross-port compatible feature? It would be nice if it was. (Those screenshots are taken in Zdaemon.)

It is not. The usual method is to place an actor in the sector that designates is instant return, that actor function is not supported in zdaemon and the actor itself is unsupported in odamex (or at least was when we made ragectf)

Looks nice but I'll echo dew's concerns, as well as saying that, on a personal level, I hate transparent lighting like the one around the flag in Map01. For a lot of people that have older computers and use software modes, those sort of "light fog" effects can drastically slow their computers down when they're found in bulk. Source: me having to remove a ton of them from WDL compilations because of people flipping out about them. I like the grass on the map01 shot, it makes the room POP.

For whatever its worth, if a flag sits somewhere untouched for a bit in ZD, it instantly returns to base. I think the amount of time required for that to happen can be toggled through dmflags. Maybe it would be preferable if, instead of instant death, it acted as a teleporter?

18 hours ago, Decay said:

That's ok lots of people don't finish projects even 9 years later

The visual quality for CTF maps looks top-tier, I'd like to try map01 out in some good 3v3 settings though. Is map01 geared for private or public play?

Actually, this is a complicated subject. I want these maps to be enjoyable for both worlds, but it is ultimately impossible due to the different expectations from all audiences. I had more private gameplay in mind when designing Map01, Map02 is a bit more public oriented. Thanks for the feedback!

18 hours ago, Kapanyo said:

If I saw this on a server, I'd probably never leave!

Maybe that green carpet in the first screenshot could be team-coloured, but that's just my idea~

That is actually grass! You can't guess though, as the outside areas aren't shown here.

17 hours ago, dew said:

Ahh, open water in map01... I'll assume it's insta-death. Aren't you afraid of glitches in the pacing if the flag falls into it?

Actually, I had a couple of games there on 3v3 with other frenchies, and the flag never feel into the water. The water is a heavy damage-over-time rather than instant-death. I can foresee though that other people would try to abuse and deliberately dive in order to save seconds on the match, which can be a pretty big deal!

I'll see how things evolve over time once this thing gets released.

14 hours ago, Ralphis said:

Looks nice but I'll echo dew's concerns, as well as saying that, on a personal level, I hate transparent lighting like the one around the flag in Map01. For a lot of people that have older computers and use software modes, those sort of "light fog" effects can drastically slow their computers down when they're found in bulk. Source: me having to remove a ton of them from WDL compilations because of people flipping out about them. I like the grass on the map01 shot, it makes the room POP.

Regarding the translucent lines, I actually see two points of view there;

Sure, it can drain the CPU, and if poorly used, is more likely to make things visually unconfortable, which is something we don't want!

But on the other hand, if properly done and not visually disturbing, come on, it's freaking 2017! Even a smartphone can render that without slowdowns!

Again, I aim to please with this wad, so if people feel like it's too much or annoying, I'll toy around to change this!

Thanks everyone for the huge outpoor of comments!

Guest Unregistered account

Yeah, I'm not sure what kind of computer you must be using if it can't render translucent 128x128 textures, even in excess.