Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

FPS games where you are not the shooter?

Not so long ago, I have watched a video teaching office workers how to react to active shooters; I believe it was called "Run. Hide. Fight." or something along the lines. I do not want to come across as cynical, but I could not help but think this could make for an interesting video game concept. For example, think of something like Doom 2016, but in reverse: instead of playing as the unstoppable gun-toting, eviscerating badass, you would actually play as an unarmed victim trying to survive the unstoppable gun-toting, eviscerating badass.

I know there are already plenty of survival horrors out there that force you to play hide and seek with either an invincible melee opponent or an overwhelming group of hunters. There has also been at least one video game that puts you in the shoes of civilians caught in an armed conflict (This War of Mine), but I wonder if there is such thing as a first-person game where you must escape a single active shooter.

I have been trying to search for it on Google, but so far, I have not found anything.

Those are not the games I am looking for.

For starters, neither Portal nor Mirror's Edge are survival games. The former is a puzzle game and the second is an action game where you can just run away from your opponents most the time, but still are encouraged to neutralise them using hand-to-hand combat and even firearms. 

From what I have seen of The Long Dark, it is just yet another survival game set in a hostile environment where you have to craft tools and equipment to defend yourself against wildlife. As for Minecraft, huh... are you talking about Survival mode? If so, then it falls into the same category as The Long Dark.

I think first person survival horror games will be right up your alley.

If you haven't already, you should check out the Amnesia games (though the second one is kind of weak), pretty much any other game by Frictional Games. The Outlast games are also really effective at putting you in the shoes of a guy who's fighting to survive (though admittedly I don't really like the mental hospital setting of the first game).

I have already played a few of them (Outlast, the first two Penumbra games and the demo for Amnesia: The Dark Descent), but those games all feature multiple melee enemies that you can easily outrun.

As I explained, what I am looking for could be best described as basically an active shooter simulator. I gave the example of Doom 2016 in reverse, but another example would be the original Terminator movie. I do not know if such first-person game exists, but if so, I would really be curious to try it out.

This is probably stupid, but the indie game SCP CB has this kinda thing.

(In layman terms) You play as a test subject trying to escape a compromised facility. Several soldiers were sent in to fix the problem, but if they encounter you, they direct their attention to you. But if the the cause of the problem appears, they let you go, chasing after the problem instead.

Basically, the fight is between the soldiers and the problems. You're stuck between them, trying to get out of their way.

Someone should make a game where you are being chased or stalked by a murderer or psychopath and you have to stay hidden from them. You never know when they will appear or how, and you have to always stay one step ahead of them. Something like the original Condemned except you are trying to escape from the killer.

Can't think of any right now.

Closest thing that comes to mind would be the first half of Call of Cthulhu: DCotE, notably the escape from the hotel.

Of course only to the point when you finally get the crowbar and serious ass-kicking ensues.

And there's not only one shooter, but half the city population is trying to hunt you down.

4 hours ago, Swine & Roses said:

Can't think of any right now.

Closest thing that comes to mind would be the first half of Call of Cthulhu: DCotE, notably the escape from the hotel.

That was also the first thing that came to my mind. During the escape from the hotel you are completely unarmed and have to run and hide from the attacking villagers. One of the most intense FPS experiences I remember.

Aw yes, I still get shivers just thinking of it. You'd start locking the doors of the hotel rooms with bolts and moving cabinets in front of them, to block the villagers, but they'd pass through after some time so you can't just lock all doors in one room, you have to get moving and also move cabinets out of the way and unlock bolts.

Besides I guess there isn't much, but you could try playing multiplayer shooters and just not pick up any guns at all, see how long you can survive? Pacifist last man standing. But don't do this in any game that requires teamplay. Thanks.

Do you know the movie The Fugitive from 1993, with Harrison Ford? Something like this as a first-person game would be great (if done right).

Firewatch is a fairly intense indie game where you go out to investigate a disturbance in the woods and you must avoid getting chased at by the antagonist.

On 6.5.2017 at 6:14 PM, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I have been trying to search for it on Google, but so far, I have not found anything.

That's probably because if you can't shoot, it's not an FPS anymore, at least not in terms of genres. Unless you look in the vast field of (oftentimes rubbish) survival style games, there's barely any hopes of finding anything, I'm afraid. I mean, if else fails, there's lots of pacifist demos on the DSDA. ;-)

Can't think any of that kind of thing. But I used to make a custom mission in Arma 2 where I trying to survive from the attack from 2 sides of forces in a small town. 

I picked up SOMA during a Steam sale a while ago, I'm still working up the nerve to play it. One of these days a horror game is going to give me a heart attack.

I'm such a wimp.