Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Heretic 2 source code recreation effort

Danfun64 said:

Well, so much for the faithful approach.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and it is the best approach. You have a one time annoyance, and the end result is the tech is easier for me to develop, and easier for everyone to make new content for.

What about old content? Isn't the legality of converting Heretic 2 levels to .map and then compiling with q3map2 questionable, especially with custom stuff (If there was a license for Heretic 2 modding back in the day, I'm pretty sure "Can't be disassembled" was part of the requirements)

On 3/2/2017 at 3:17 PM, icecoldduke said:

I found this Heretic II texture pack using google. Really like the look of this... I hope you will continue the project.

Heretic II textures zipped (17.3mbs)

This is all the textures of the original install of the game. This does not include any textures of the maps that were created afterwards. Since the original game only uses 8 bit textures there has been no HD textures for the game to my knowledge created.

"https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-LypCS9FvWBZHVJVWFETGg4aFU/view?usp=sharing"

Has there ever been any Heretic 2 HD texture packs? If not, does anyone have any bandwidth to start creating one?

Edited by Sport : updated info

On 3/8/2017 at 3:54 PM, Danfun64 said:

Well, so much for the faithful approach.

Maybe it could be setup to use the old approach when it detects 8bit textures and the new approach when it is 32bit textures.

On 5/7/2017 at 2:47 PM, Quasar said:

Please tell me somebody cloned it.

Wish I did! doesn't look like I did though.

I read a post from the author on another forum somewhere where he said he's working on resolving the licensing issues (ie, not using GPL code in it, since some of the stuff is derived from maybe-questionable reverse engineering). Hopefully it comes back up in the near future.

Yeah, GitHub shows a 404 when you try to access a private repository. Given icecoldduke's statements that he's trying to untangle some license issues, it'd make sense if the repository was kept private during that time (rather than actually deleted).

On 5/11/2017 at 5:59 PM, Gez said:

Yeah, GitHub shows a 404 when you try to access a private repository. Given icecoldduke's statements that he's trying to untangle some license issues, it'd make sense if the repository was kept private during that time (rather than actually deleted).

That's still not a very accurate error message.  The repository DOES exist. 

The error message would be more accurate if it read, "This repository is private and thus inaccessible to the public at this time."

5 minutes ago, Master O said:

"This repository is private and thus inaccessible to the public at this time."

That's a problem. What if someone wants to make a truly invisible repository, because the name of it could divulge information about some real-world project with financial implications?

The way it's set up now is the best for, you know, privacy.

On 13/05/2017 at 9:34 AM, Albertoni said:

That's a problem. What if someone wants to make a truly invisible repository, because the name of it could divulge information about some real-world project with financial implications?

The way it's set up now is the best for, you know, privacy.

If someone want his/her projects are very private, then just do not upload them to the internet would be the best idea. :p

You can still invite select people to work on a private project. They will see it (if logged in), other people get a 404.

Any news on this @icecoldduke ? where did the github repo go? I've just been playing with getting heretic2 on linux working and I was reminded of your project.

Actually I have a related question to anyone who has actually played heretic 2 properly. Is it any good?

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Actually I have a related question to anyone who has actually played heretic 2 properly. Is it any good?

Depends on what you want out of it.  If you're basically wanting more of the original Heretic (or even Hexen) then not really, there are nods here and there, like having the Hellstaff again, and there being blue and green mana pools (that are used differently than in Hexen though), things like that, but it plays a fair bit differently.  I'm also not the hugest fan of the story/lore as compared to the rest (but like Doom, they were never a series to play for the story).

As a game in its own right though, yeah it's fairly good.  Offhand I'd probably rank it above Rune but below Blade of Darkness and maybe about on par with Enclave as far as similarly third-person hacky-slashy fantasy games go (which are what I'd put it with more so than with the prior entries in the series).  The world, while it's not quite what you'd expect from the previous games, is trippy and interesting in places, combat can be pretty exciting and the puzzle aspects have been improved on some compared to the Hexens.

Custom maps are not plentiful but there are some decent ones should you decide you want more after playing the campaign.  I highly recommend Shadow Slayer.

It also used to be fairly popular as a deathmatch game, from what I can gather.  Probably hard to find any buddies for such nowadays though.  There is a bot that can play some MP maps if you're so inclined.

Heretic II is worth playing if only for the masochistic chicken from the combat tutorial.

Sucks that this project is now on hold. I have yet to play Heretic II, but it does sure seem promising.

Hope he's fine, able to take care of all his Real-Life™ business, and can come back online.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:38 PM, Danfun64 said:

What about old content? Isn't the legality of converting Heretic 2 levels to .map and then compiling with q3map2 questionable, especially with custom stuff (If there was a license for Heretic 2 modding back in the day, I'm pretty sure "Can't be disassembled" was part of the requirements)

And what is wrong with doing that privately on one's computer just to play the maps?

Second, what about remaking Heretic 2 using the free Quake 2 engine as a base, by analyzing the Heretic 2 gameplay from a black box perspective? Not reverse-engineering the executable, but just looking at the gameplay and data files.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:13 AM, icecoldduke said:

can you upload the finished "q3map2 and q3radiant" to load and create maps for the new renderer.

I have made some progress on lighting and tools. I have modified q3map2 and q3radiant to load and create maps for the new renderer. In this screenshot, I'm q3map2's deluxel lighting. I currently have one hi-res texture, which is why you only see bump maps on that surface.

mvy3ZjL.jpg

hVanWEn.jpg

I have no idea why this was bumped with just a quote from Icecold and nothing more.

Sadly this seems to be another victim of Icecold's diverse outings: So many bleeding edge things and ideas have sprung from his mind, but the overwhelming majority ends up never being finished or published.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:13 AM, icecoldduke said:

My bad...

I do not think you can use PNG textures with the Heretic2CAS_0.04 unless you use q3map2 and q3radiant to load and create maps. As is it still uses the Heretic II (Htic2-0.pak and Htic2-1.pak) to play Coop right????

Anyways, it is taking me a long time upscaling all the Heretic II textures to PNG. from there normal size to (4x). I just finished up to the Canyon folder. I will let you know when I finish them all. Smile! I am using Topaz A.I. Gigapixel to do this since I could not get my hands on icecoldduke's ESARGAN (How to conversion guide).

I have a question... Once I finish the upscaling etc... all the textures do I have to downscale them back to there original size???  Does anyone know?

Edited by bladerunner : update