Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nanami

ZDoom, Legacy, jDoom, SkullTag, etc.

ZDoom has nice and easily editable slopes. It also has really nice skin support (unlike Legacy, which often freezes if you load too many skins). I can't comment on the scripting because I've never looked at it, but I've seen some good things done with it.
Legacy has 3D floors! And water and some other really nice editing abilities. FraggleScript has some very good points. Legacy made levels can have some amazing effects.
jDoom has some great effects (there's a lot of customizability about the status bar) and the MD2 models are simple to load. Legacy has MD2 models, but I've never gotten it to work. jDoom's layout is very nice to look at.
SkullTag has a lot of muliplayer options! Capture the flag, runes, good bots and skill levels, very nice looking new levels to play in.

Just out of curiosity, have any of these projects ever considered incorporating? I'd like to see a project with MD2 models, slopes, 3D floors, and capture the flag with bots and TCP\IP play.

Nanami said:

Legacy has 3D floors! And water and some other really nice editing abilities.

FYI You can do 3D floors and water with ZDOOM (Heck, you can even do it without source port! Ever played Requiem?)

Nanami said:

Legacy has MD2 models, but I've never gotten it to work.

I could be wrong, but I thought this wasn't implemented yet (and that's why it's still only in the "development" menu).

Grazza said:

I could be wrong, but I thought this wasn't implemented yet (and that's why it's still only in the "development" menu).

I hadn't thought of that. That probably is why it's there. =\
Although I've played with MD2 models in Legacy before, and I've gotten green Cacodemons that move with half their body inside the floor and Imps that levitate motionlessly across the ground and shoot fireballs from their foreheads... That's always neat.

Nanami said:

Although I've played with MD2 models in Legacy before, and I've gotten green Cacodemons that move with half their body inside the floor and Imps that levitate motionlessly across the ground and shoot fireballs from their foreheads... That's always neat.

I've tried using them too, and as a result some of the monsters just became invisible, which makes for an interesting challenge. Still, the fact that using mds models doesn't crash Legacy isn't quite the same as them being supported.

Anyway, ZDoom and Legacy water is different. In ZDoom (unless it's changed since I did it last), you put a "water" item in a sector and it makes the whole sector underwater. There's no top or bottom, and you just swim on through it. With Legacy, you can define where the water top start, even where the bottom is (so you can have neat jello fall-through effects, I guess) and with switches you can make the water level rise or lower. Legacy water is a lot more fun, though you can't drown in it. Legacy Marines have gills!

EDGE has got swimmable water (in which you can drown too: There is a little air gauge that appears to show you how much air you've got left)
It's also got 3D floors.

Nanami said:

...(there's a lot of customizability about the status bar)...

Explain this. I am unfimiliar with this aspect.

Options, HUD. Or something like that.

Show Health, Show Keys, Show Armor, Show Ammo.
RGB Scale for coloring the text.
Status bar size (duh).
Crosshair.
Crosshair size.

Some ports have this stuff, but I've never seen an RGB scale or "show x" stuff. Maybe some have it that I haven't seen. But I found it neat.