Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDickBzzrak

"Doom Text Edit"?

This program from late 1999 seems to be able to edit quit messages, which is something DeHackEd isn't capable of, afaik. However, as I don't have a vanilla EXE, I can't check if it works. Could someone look into this thing? (It runs on Win7 without DOSBox.)

If it does, maybe a port like Chocolate Doom can support these patches? That would be neat.

Thanks!

Surprised this was forgotten for so long, maybe it's because it was made just before the advent of source ports that could do the same thing much more easily.

^

From what I can see (in the Boom 2.02 documentation), BEX can change only one quit message (do you really wanna quit this great game?), this thing can change all of them.

Seems to work fine with dehacked, so long as you patch with dtedit first, then dehacked (if I tried it the other way round I'd have overwritten all my dehacked text lines since etf files seem to contain all the unchanged original doom text).  Other option would be to do all text changes in DTEDIT, but since modern ports don't support it that would be pretty useless. 

Pretty cool.  Think I'll probably use this for the quitting messages, even if Chocolate Doom doesn't end up supporting it (which I really don't expect, because I'll probably be the only person that would use it).  Worst case is people who don't play through dos/dosbox will see the original doom "quit" messages (oohh noooooo...)

12 hours ago, Revae said:

even if Chocolate Doom doesn't end up supporting it (which I really don't expect, because I'll probably be the only person that would use it).

Maybe I misunderstood you, but if you meant that you'd be the only person using Chocolate Doom, I'm inclined to believe that nowadays there are actually more people who play Doom with Chocolate Doom than those who play Doom with the vanilla executable.

This is an amazing discovery! If only the source code was released too. It would be epic if it be implemented for BEX format.