Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maisth

Cool Little Effect

This is an effect i did in my upcoming Map, it resembles the effect used in Doom 64 when the ceilling collapses and creates a new room.

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Scripts are a lifesaver for that kind of action...

Scripts are life

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Scripts are a lifesaver for that kind of action...

Eh, once you get used to "voodoo doll scripting" it isn't that bad, just all the dummy sectors to make a huge area change would be a pain in the ass.

I was putting some thought last night on how to make a random number generator of sorts with voodoo dolls, too.

6 hours ago, Piper Maru said:

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks hopefully more people will use the effect

Pfft. Real men use hacky Voodoo dolls.

Kidding aside, I love transforming rooms of Doom 64, they really added to the creepy vibe of the game, the fact that a room can just completely change in seconds gives it that vibe of unpredictablity.

Im surprised that it isnt done very much even in ZDoom mapsets.

6 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Pfft. Real men use hacky Voodoo dolls.

Kidding aside, I love transforming rooms of Doom 64, they really added to the creepy vibe of the game, the fact that a room can just completely change in seconds gives it that vibe of unpredictablity.

Me too always loved that in doom 64 the moment i saw it i fell in love with it,

Never understood the point of Voodoo Dolls in doombuilder.

18 hours ago, Crunchynut44 said:

Check out map 26 of Going Down by Mouldy, the use of dummy sectors there just blows my freaking mind.

Dummy sectors are a lifesaver especially for 3D Sector Floors.

Ill be sure to check it thanks!

16 hours ago, Pegg said:

Don't worry about them since you have way more stuff with scripts. 

Yet alot of them are forgotten or never used

17 hours ago, Maisth said:

Never understood the point of Voodoo Dolls in doombuilder.

If you can script then there is no point: ACS is much more powerful.

But a fair few mappers (being creative types) would prefer to avoid syntax wherever possible, so would rather construct their "scripts" out of physical Doom map bits, even if it takes more time and is less efficient.

(I'm slightly apprehensive about posting this because there was a multi-page argument about this a few weeks back, so I'm hoping this doesn't turn into that again!)

Voodoo doll was originally a bug of the vanilla engine, but creative mappers relatively quickly found ways to exploit it to achieve special effects that couldn't be achieved in the engine otherwise. It's still useful nowadays if you want to make maps with wide compatibility, therefore without port-specific features like ACS.

Be careful if you want people to play your map in multiplayer ports though. Some disable them so you end up with impossible maps.

6 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Be careful if you want people to play your map in multiplayer ports though. Some disable them so you end up with impossible maps.

By "them" do you mean Voodoo dolls or ACS scripts?

7 hours ago, Bauul said:

If you can script then there is no point: ACS is much more powerful.

But a fair few mappers (being creative types) would prefer to avoid syntax wherever possible, so would rather construct their "scripts" out of physical Doom map bits, even if it takes more time and is less efficient.

(I'm slightly apprehensive about posting this because there was a multi-page argument about this a few weeks back, so I'm hoping this doesn't turn into that again!)

Oh okay so Voodoo dolls are like a last resource item to use in doom and very efficient if you are mapping in old doom format

I used to use acs for my doom levels until I started speedrunning and went with voodoo doll scripting for demo compatibility 

plus it's nice to have that extra challenge

On 9/5/2017 at 11:46 AM, Pegg said:

Yeah its another thing i need to think about since this map is supposed to have 2 Players Coop, though if that happens there will be some changes to the coop version.

On 5/8/2017 at 9:35 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

I forget what map set it was in, but Xaser made a secret map called "Sector" which ... really has to be seen to be believed.

Looking at how it was done also answers why it isn't.

41 minutes ago, Arctangent said:

I forget what map set it was in, but Xaser made a secret map called "Sector" which ... really has to be seen to be believed.

ZPack, map E3M0 <----

10 hours ago, Outrageous Videos said:

voodoo doll scripting

I've been trying to think of a way to do this without conveyor belts, for doom.  Is there a way to push a voodoo doll across line triggers without hurting the player?  AFAIK things that push the player are all tied to damage.  You seem to know a bit about it.

6 minutes ago, Revae said:

Is there a way to push a voodoo doll across line triggers without hurting the player?

No. You can put a health pickup behind the voodoo doll, though, so that the voodoo doll will pick it up and heal the player right after being pushed. If you set it up carefully, the health loss from the push will be just 1%, so that you can heal it by a single health bonus.

Yeah, but you'd still get all the player grunts what-not...  Ah well.  Good to know.  I think the fanciest thing I could make is a chamber that when you enter it closes the door behind you, heals you for a while, then opens back up...  Which is needlessly complicated for something that could be replaced by a couple of health packs.

Well, some vanilla compatible wads (like Epic 2) used the trick anyway, no matter the grunts or the fact that the player dies if he has only 1% health when it happens.

7 hours ago, Arctangent said:

9 hours ago, Gez said:

This is further proof that Xaser is a sentient Doom mapping AI.