Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Will a GT 710 1GB run Doom 4?

I'm trying to find a cheap graphics card to run Doom 4 and I want to know if a GT 710 1GB will run it.

Google says 'no'

Was this really that hard to search for?

Bottom line: It needs 2 GB VRAM and from the looks of it a lot more processing power than such a bottom of the barrel entry level card.

Unfortunately all stuff in that video won't overcome the biggest problem: The amount of video RAM. If the game explicitly states to require 2GB, a 1 GB card is most likely not going to cut it.

Doom 2016 nonwithstanding, spending money on a graphics card with less than 2GB these days is just as good as throwing away the money.

1 hour ago, MrGlide said:

⬆️ I like that guy. Also, I ran doom quite well on a gtx650. 

The problem is that the 710 is a far less capable card than GTX650. The 650 uses DDR5 RAM, the 710 uses DDR3, core speed on 650 is 1058MHZ, 710 is 950MHZ. The 710 is also PCIE 2.0 instead of 3.0. And the CUDA cores are 192 on a 710, and 384 on a 650.

Keep in mind, the 6 and 7 refer to the generation. It's the last two digits you need to look at. A 750 may sound better than a 670, but it's not. And a GTX is not the same as a GT. GT is designed for general use, GTX is designed for higher performance. So your GTX650 with 1GB would run circles around a GT710... despite it having a bigger number.

oh, that was a brainfart on my end, I thought he was talking about gtx 750. Thank you for the correction.

4 hours ago, MrGlide said:

oh, that was a brainfart on my end, I thought he was talking about gtx 750. Thank you for the correction.

Yeah, really I was wondering if you read the card right. I played it just fine with a GTX760, so GTX 750 would probably be fine with some options turned down, but 710 to me is a no go. Unless you like slideshows... or most likely a black screen.

On 5/2/2017 at 9:35 PM, Jello said:

Unless you like slideshows... or most likely a black screen.

Or the game flat-out crashing after trying to load for a solid 3 minutes.

Sorry to burst your bubble, I don't want to be an asshole. But I've replied in most of these threads you've made about creating a Frankencomputer that could be more powerful than it's dirt cheap components. It's not possible. If you want to play Doom 2016, you will need to either buy or make a new computer. In the attempt of upgrading this here, or that there, you are wasting money on finding obscure parts that work with your system, but are still outdated. In the end you will make a computer that is still outdated because at every step you tried to make sure what you were buying was compatible with another outdated part.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you can play Doom 2016 at some point. It's not a bad game, but it's not really that great of a game either. Not worth blowing all your money on at least.

Ugh. I just bought that exact same card (the GT 710 1GB) a few months ago for my old desktop. It can run DOOM 2016, but like you guys said, really slowly. BUT, I also happened to find the exact same card (but with the required 2GB VRAM) on Amazon. Do you think that's a better bet? Or am I just gonna have to stick with slow speeds on PC and the true experience on PS4?

@LGN-76 that additional memory isn't really going to make much of a difference on that card. RAM does not equal performance, not even close.

Better get something that ends with 60, or at least 50, to run on medium-high settings, and you can definitely run it on Ultra with a GTX770 or higher.