Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impie

List of Dimensional Travel Megawads

Strange Aeons has the player travel across no less than six distinct dimensions before the campaign's end: a world shattered into fragments that now float in a void, a dilapidated future factory, forgotten cities of prehistoric earth, the icy wastes of Leng, the undead-infested underworld, and the sunken city where Cthulhu sleeps.

I'm looking to compile a list of megawads that feature extensive dimensional travel, where you visit three or more distinct worlds in the course of the megawad. So far I have the following:

Strange Aeons

Voyager

Beyond Reality

Hell Ground

DST-T

Ancient Aliens

Perdition's Gate

Valiant

Eternal Doom

A.L.T.

Scythe II

Discovering the Hell: The 5 Worlds

Realms of Zoon(?)

Edited by Impie

DTS-T is one; although it's rather mixed.

Void and most levels with void-themes.

Technically any level taking place in hell if you consider it a dimension.

Deus vult, which has sauron in both and some weird villan museum in it's second installment for some reason.

Edited by SArais

1 hour ago, SArais said:

Technically any level taking place in hell if you consider it a dimension.

I mean megawads, not single maps in other dimensions. I'll clarify that in the op.

Edited by Impie

Ancient aliens puts forward a good sense of travel, feels like an epic journey

1 hour ago, dt_ said:

Ancient aliens puts forward a good sense of travel, feels like an epic journey

God, I dunno how i forgot to list that one...

Eternal Doom,but I'm not sure if this megawad would fit here. From techbases to medieval times.

Perdition's Gate and Valiant have 3 and 5 distinct dimensions respectively. Perdition's Gate technically has more than 3, but some dimensions are only a single level or small parts af a level.

Dimension of time? The story tells about dimensions.

44 minutes ago, MysteriousHaruko said:

Eternal Doom,but I'm not sure if this megawad would fit here. From techbases to medieval times.

All of the Eternal Doom megawads? I only ever played ED4.

7 minutes ago, Impie said:

All of the Eternal Doom megawads? I only ever played ED4.

I,II,III episodes combined into one megawad. Player starts in techbases and when he jumps into medieval times. Also,Eternal Doom text files implies that player use time travel to get into to medieval times to destroy hellish creatures. 

I've "released" some time ago a zdoom mapset with this thematic. It's 18 levels where you go through 5 different worlds. It's not very good though, especially because of the high hp monsters and boring boss fights lol. If you ever going to play this, I'd recommend HMP, not because it's hard, but it would probably be quite boring on UV, I guess.

ya can't heckin put perdition's gate and not put its sister wad, hell2pay!!!!!

heck man

1 hour ago, bonnie said:

ya can't heckin put perdition's gate and not put its sister wad, hell2pay!!!!!

heck man

I can if it doesn't fit the criteria of the thread, which as far as I can tell it doesn't.

5 minutes ago, Impie said:

I can if it doesn't fit the criteria of the thread, which as far as I can tell it doesn't.

i guess you're right, i think you only go to another planet and not another dimension :(

ZPack. Episode 2 in particular, what with Terror Cube, Switchback and For The Hell Of It, but each episode follows a theme too.

I'd argue that my own Scourge covers it too, starting on Earth, very quickly veering off to Hell before going to a UAC base on a distant rocky planet and having the odd trip to Hell again until the ending.

If we weren't specifying megawads I'd put a couple of my other maps forward too. Although what makes a dimension versus what makes a different area/theme might disqualify any of my work, as I don't put that much thought into it.

Like Phobus I'd like to suggest my own megawad, Skulldash. It doesn't have a story but the player visits over 20 distinct worlds / themes, from techbases to submarines, from heaven to hell, from medieval castles to space bases, from voided realities to haunted mansions. :)

Also, to add to this list, Ultimate Simplicity has you follow a very doomish progression which has you cross into the realm of hell. 

Wandering aimlessly across various dimensions, cursed never to find your way home as you go from portal to portal, was the theme of HPack back when it was still being developed.

One oft-forgotten one which springs immediately to mind is House of Portals, by Wim Vanrie, from 2000. It's a very clear representation of the idea of making a series of one-off trips to a number of different dimensions, being patterned after the quirky old British shooter/adventure game "Realms of the Haunting." Also notable as an early example of a mapset using a repeatedly revisited hub-type map (usually largely free of combat) between main levels, though that's an idea that's existed in some form since the 90s.

A very similar 'house of portals' concept exists in Unloved and its unfinished sequel, which both also see you traveling between distinctly different macabre settings in order to progress. I reckon this is simply a case of different authors independently hitting upon similar ideas rather than one of direct inspiration, though.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Wandering aimlessly across various dimensions, cursed never to find your way home as you go from portal to portal, was the theme of HPack back when it was still being developed.

Whatever happened to it?

Maybe Epic 2? You are in Egypt and then all of a sudden on a planet... but that's not dimensional travel.

7 hours ago, DoomLover234 said:

Maybe Epic 2? You are in Egypt and then all of a sudden on a planet... but that's not dimensional travel.

I'd almost count it but I'm looking for a portmanteau of distinct worlds in sequence.