Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

Released some maps...

I played your vavoom map.Everything looked absolutley
beautiful! I played it with the md2 models and at 1280 by 1024 resolution.Everything moved at 60 fps.Looked like quake2.Great job slayer!

Played the Heretic map. Nice to see some scripting in Heretic. A big, open map with lots of variety in the areas. Nice. Did have some problems though:

The key doors kept asking me for yellow/blue/red keycards (ie doom messages) instead of yellow/blue/green keys.

After (finally) showing D'Sparil who the bad boy really was, the exit bars did not lower to let me out.

Downloading Vavoom now. It seems the version I have here is a little old.

SlayeR said:

I've released a Vavoom map and a ZDoom-Heretic map over at my doom page. Heh, I haven't actually released a map for quite a long time...

Anyway, tell me what you think!

http://slayer226.web1000.com

Guess I'll have to download Vavoom and check it out when I get home :)

The Vavoom map. Very interesting. Strange to see a doom map totally lit by "real" light sources. Very atmospheric. Good job.

I also loaded it up in Zdoom, cheated to get the light amp goggles so I could see my way around and marvelled at all the "unknown item" exclamation marks around the map indicating where you had placed your light sources (I assume). Of course, the 3D floor didn't work that way either. Interesting to see some of the "nuts and bolts" by looking at it that way though.

The Heretic map is a beauty, very pleasing zdoom enhancements such as the flat warping. Pretty tough in places but I made it near the end and keep getting fried by d'sprail in that hot area...feet just can't hold up while dodging him!

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

And as for the bars not lowering, it seems that my custom MAPINFO lump for the level cancels out the E3M8 heretic special where any sector tagged 666 lowers after killing D'Sparil :/

Anyone know the MAPINFO parameter for that special?

(heh, good thing I haven't uploaded these to /newstuff yet, I knew there may be problems :P)

Check the node building, or something, around the crusher puzzle. I got trapped under the floor by it, but not damaged. Oh, I got damaged hard another time too. :)
You pretty much need mouselook to negotiate that puzzle, don't you?

mustafa saed big brother comes along. downloads vavoom
plays vslyr1.wad sets back in seat and says dark7 with static lighting on vavoom....

Heh, well I gotta sort out a few bugs in that level before uploading it to /newstuff, where I guess you can use the same review :P

The key doors kept asking me for yellow/blue/red keycards (ie doom messages) instead of yellow/blue/green keys.

That's actually a problem in ZDoom, and not with the level itself ;) I'm pretty sure all Heretic doors do that.

I dunno if there is a mapinfo special for D'Sparil yet. I suppose there should be, but I couldn't find it in the source. However, here's a tip that I have used to get a script to run when the second phase (mountless) D'Sparil gets killed.

I don't think you can give the second phase of the D'Sparil monster a tid or a special. You could have the script you run when the first phase is defeated start an item count on D'Sparil (if there is a thing name defined that can be used with that function - don't think there is though), but far easier (IMO) is to use the fact that when the second phase is killed, every other monster on the level is also killed. Simply put a monster in a hidden sector somewhere. You kill D'Sparil, the hidden monster dies and you can execute a script or any other special via that enemy.

Enjay said:

I dunno if there is a mapinfo special for D'Sparil yet. I suppose there should be, but I couldn't find it in the source.

Hey, I'm quoting myself!

Right, I haven't checked if they are available or not yet, but this will be the syntax that you need in MAPINFO for Heretic level boss special actions methinks:

ironlichspecial
minotaurspecial
dsparilspecial

Thanks Nigel for the info. I emailed Randy about it and it appears he forgot to add the ability for Heretic specials to MAPINFO. I'll use that monster death hack instead ;)