Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

Game breaking glitches/errors/bugs?

I have an issue with a lift in a map. It's a 3DFloor so it doesn't crush by default. The player can become trapped under the lift and ruin a run. It's fairly early in the level.

As someone who has played video games for going on thirty years I've come across these situations in other games. It sucks, but I just make a mental note not to do it again.

The ideal solution would be to crush the player. You're standing under a moving elevator. I could probably advertise the danger a little bit, but I feel like the player should be punished for going under it. I mean Doors in Duke kill people.

I could reduce the failure rate of the lift by a large chunk if I raised the sector below the lift to its neighboring sector, but I really like how it looks when it rests into the ground a bit.

I searched Google for a solution, but the best I got was from Graf or Gez saying it was possible [to crush] with some sector sorcery. I will keep looking for examples, but... 

What do you all think of glitches like this. Is it a crime against humanity? Is it forgiveable?

Also what is the worst example of this that you remember playing throughout your gaming history. I remember playing a racing game that was challenging for me and very occasionally the vehicle would randomly fall through the road. It might have been San Francisco RUSH. (great game despite its flaws)

1 hour ago, everennui said:

I searched Google for a solution, but the best I got was from Graf or Gez saying it was possible [to crush] with some sector sorcery. I will keep looking for examples, but...

Learn how linked sectors work and how to make them, use them on the 3D floor's control sector, and move the sector by one of the crushing floor/ceiling movement specials. You should be able to do this just by reading the wiki rather than depending on finding an example.

1 hour ago, everennui said:

What do you all think of glitches like this. Is it a crime against humanity? Is it forgiveable?

Glitches (or design choices) that make games unwinnable are more than irritating and designers shouldn't leave them in, that's how I see it.

Intentionally adding game breaking glitches makes no sense whatsoever. Glitches, bugs and all that are the things that developers need to iron out of their products. If not intentionally, it should be removed as quickly as possible. 

Leaving game breaking bugs in the program is basically saying "my kid has cancer but I'll leave it be." :/

Duke Nukem 3D suffers from game breaking bugs. IIRC, running into a wall can cause instant death.

12 hours ago, Voros said:

IIRC, running into a wall can cause instant death.

Come to think of it, running into a wall in the real world would be rather unpleasant.

Doom usually marks its traps that are inescapable (some of the slime pits in E1M3), but there are a few design oversights. In E3M4, it's possible to trigger a wall from two sides, but not one other side, meaning if the wall closes, you can be stuck forever and have to kill yourself or start the map over.