Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaws In Space

Freedoom needs your help!

1 hour ago, Benjogami said:

It was me that didn't read the OP ;)

Ahhhh, so that explains the removed message. Wish you'da left it up. Aheheh.

I just remembered this.

@Xindage posted a map07 months ago. It wasn't an arena map, so I believe it can be used as base for a new map07.

http://www.geocities.ws/p/r/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDoom2/map07.wad

I expressed dislike when I played this before, and still do. The difficulty is ridiculous for the typical average player. Last I remember, I couldn't figure out what to do until Xindage posted what to do.

The regenerating Mancubi are cool, but the setup is cruel.

The shootable switches behind the Arachnotrons are barely visible. 

Said switches unleashes a swarm (and I mean swarm) of Archviles outside. Imagine suddenly finding this greeting you.

IIRC there is a secret that requires the usage of an Archvile jump. I don't think it's appropriate to use such an advanced technique.

Theres more to map, but that's all I remember about it now. I'll replay the map again.

Paging @Blastfrog

Paging @Jaws In Space -- it was decided that Phase 2 - MAP12 was beyond vanilla-conversion salvage, so we'll be on the lookout for one of those, too.

Also @Impie took a stab at MAP20, which I think is okay. Not amazing, but could be souped up to something (possibly kept short-and-sweet) befitting the episode's end.

15 minutes ago, Voros said:

I just remembered this.

@Xindage posted a map07 months ago. It wasn't an arena map, so I believe it can be used as base for a new map07.

http://www.geocities.ws/p/r/protox/FreeDoom/FreeDoom2/map07.wad

I expressed dislike when I played this before, and still do. The difficulty is ridiculous for the typical average player. Last I remember, I couldn't figure out what to do until Xindage posted what to do.

Well, having just played that, it is totally and utterly ludicrous. The visuals and the basic idea is ok, but the Arch Viles? Come on! That's the kind of map that will let players rage quit because it's virtually unplayable. How can someone even THINK of putting this stuff in a non-HR mod?

Here's my suggestions:

- Instead of releasing the Arch Viles behind the Mancubi, better have them teleport into a crushing sector to dispose of them.

- remove all AV's in the rest of the map - they are not adding anything of value.

- I'm not sure if the Spider Mastermind is a good idea. It's the annoying icing on the cake of a supremely annoying map.

- The Hell Knights are nothing but ammo sponges - easy to dispose of, no threat at all and just a waste of time. If there's supposed to be monsters in that room, better use 9 Imps, they are a lot more fun to fight.

- MAKE THE SHOOTABLE SWITCHES LARGER!!! They are hard to see and hard to hit, especially when under constant barrage.

The Archviles are the cause of the regenerating Mancubi. While the gimmick is nice, it's mind baffling.

Removing them means players can kill the Mancubi. The small hallway here should provide a good challenge to achieve this. And we won't have to deal with Archviles at all. It's only map07.

But everything @Graf Zahl said is everything I had in mind too, no exceptions. Taking care of those issues would seriously help make this map more enjoyable for everyone.

@Xindage is a hardcore Doom player for sure :)

I'm busy right now, but I can take a look at it later tonight.

As long as the map itself is salvageable, I don't think insane enemy placement will be a concern, as it can be redone.

The map itself is fine. I like its visual style and it's a very unique take on MAP07, the only real concern is that it's not just hard but HARD with all those AV's running around and in that regard not really adequate. It would have been fine for some Hell Revealed-style stuff but not for an IWAD replacement.

In terms of difficulty it would also be fine for the final map, if it wasn't for the 666/667 triggers.

On 4/6/2017 at 6:11 PM, NecrumWarrior said:

Mmmmm I'm hesitant because I think I already have too many projects, but I have a tentative idea for a MAP07 that would use the tags for a monster hunt instead of an arena situation. Sort of like a key hunt except you need to find all the Mancubi then Arachnotrons to progress. The trick will be coming up with a way to inform the player of their goal. Anyone else who wants to try and make a map around this idea go ahead, I don't know when I might be able to act on the concept. 

Sunlust did just this as I recall. Arachnotrons to exit & Mancubi (each hidden in a secret) to unlock the secret BFG. Only problem I can see with the idea is it might make Nightmare! unfinishable though.

8 hours ago, Blastfrog said:

As long as the map itself is salvageable, I don't think insane enemy placement will be a concern, as it can be redone.

Keeping Archviles and Spider Masterminds on map07 is insane. They should be removed, pronto.

This map's gimmick can be brought back in another map, such as map32. Gimmicky secret maps are neat.

I'm aware of the SotWB secret map thing, but there really hasn't been any word on that. Personally I'd just like to see a map with some gimmicky puzzle as map32, similar to the current map31. These kind of maps are simply fun and well worth playing through.

8 hours ago, Voros said:

This map's gimmick can be brought back in another map, such as map32.

+1 on this (given the secret levels are in my slot).

SotWB is neat and all, but since we haven't heard anything on that front then yeah. Why not?