Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Any way to make zdoom play midi in opl1 emulation?

Finally found out why midis in opl2/3 emulation still sound different to my sound card "back in the day" - it must have been a card with a opl1 chip.  Any way to do this, even if it's just an opl1 soundfont?

ZDoom's OPL cores are either OPL2 or 3. But whatever you try, it will never sound like "back in the day". I still have a recording of Doom.exe playing the music on a CD and this sounds significantly better than any modern port playing the music through OPL.

OPL1 emulation? Did you play Doom on a Commodore 64?

As far as I know, OPL2 was what was used in the very first AdLib cards and in the first generation Sound Blaster. Later cards compatible with the AdLib/SB "standard" were OPL2 or OPL3 or even OPL4. The market for OPL1 and OPLL chips were arcade cabinets, not personal computers. OPL1 would not be able to process GENMIDI instruments, that's for sure! It had only one waveform available.

See OPL_emulation.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

ZDoom's OPL cores are either OPL2 or 3. But whatever you try, it will never sound like "back in the day". I still have a recording of Doom.exe playing the music on a CD and this sounds significantly better than any modern port playing the music through OPL.

That being said, Nukey's code in Chocolate Doom is the most accurate I've heard. That accuracy comes at a cost of CPU time.

As for "OPL1", The YM3526 was never used in a PC card. Only one AdLib prototype exists. The Olivetti PC 1 (not an IBM PC) used it.

On 5/3/2017 at 6:55 AM, Graf Zahl said:

I'd be really curious to hear a comparison of the emulation to the original hardware.

Didn't a lot of those cards have filters on them? Perhaps a bit of EQ tweaking to boost the bass, maybe a small bit of lowpass, etc?

I don't see the point in listening to the music with raw OPL sound, it sounds awful. I would only consider it acceptable with realtime filters that at least approximate how the real hardware sounded.

54 minutes ago, Blastfrog said:

Didn't a lot of those cards have filters on them? Perhaps a bit of EQ tweaking to boost the bass, maybe a small bit of lowpass, etc?

I don't see the point in listening to the music with raw OPL sound, it sounds awful. I would only consider it acceptable with realtime filters that at least approximate how the real hardware sounded.

The actual OPL3 chip with Yamaha's DAC is just fine. Then again, I use an equalizer with my setup.